Our goat and I

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anita

Reaction score
Our goat had a kid today and the baby was taken by a bobcat.

Goat loves to wander around and hates to go in a stall.

How do I get rid of bobcats. Any experience?

Thanks

Anita

Anita I am so sorry! Can you get a one or two LGD's? I've got 2 and they are keeping everything away.

Oh no, I am so sorry! Can you not shoot them if you see them on your property where they are presenting a threat to your livestock?

default_no.gif
i am so sorry for your loss

my prayers are with you and your goat.

No experience with any predators actually, but I am very sorry for you and your little goat!

Trapping is the best method. Get a live trap (check feed stores and Canton). Bait it with a LIVE chicken.

Most of the bobcat traps already have a seperate area to put the chicken in so the bobcat can't kill it. If the one you have does not have have a seperate area, then put the chicken in a small dog box and wire the box to the trap...so that the only way to see the chicken is thru the trap. The cat will get curious and once he sees the bird, he will usually go right in the cage. The door snaps shut, and voila.....caught cat!

Good luck!

Those bobcats are vicious in your area and they are not scared of a thing!
default_new_shocked.gif

Also, watch out for the wild hogs...they are getting worse
default_sad.png

Neighbors at the right of us have heard a bobcat, and have lost a calf, a couple of cats, and now I am terribly worried about our horses, goats, chickens, dogs, etc. Mona, you can shoot them, but first you have to see them, and I am sure they only come out after dark. I heard their territory is about a 75 mile radius.

So sorry about your kid. We have twins right now, and we would be heartbroken if anything were to happen to them. Evidently it has been across our property, because yesterday the dogs were going ballistic and sniffing and snorting around like they meant business. We have dogs out at night, but they have been frightened. The neighbors LGD's have so far kept it out of his sheep.

Thank you dear forum members. Goat is ok and eats which is good

Uh......These cats can be pretty dangerous I didn't know that. Thought they are a bit bigger like a house cat only wild.

Anyways, I followed your advice went to TSC for a trap, racoon trap what they carried. Will see where I get a chicken. Gun is ready, made with my 3 Bullterrier several roundtrips this morning. My male is intact hope the cat reconizes that.

Between I had to laugh loud about myself. You should see me with a gun on my back, and 3 spoiled Bullterrier who can not figure out what's going on.

Anita

[SIZE=14pt]oh no
default_sad.png
, how awful...when i was little we had a Sheltie that a bob cat killed, it was dusk and about 10 foot from our front door, by the time we got outside it was too late, the cat had him by the throat. hope you catch it if it comes back for something else...so sorry you lost your baby, Nikki [/SIZE]

Anita,

So sorry about your kid.
default_no.gif
Please be careful, a bobcat is much bigger and stronger and more agressive than any housecat! I don't think a trap suited for a raccoon will catch a bobcat.

Again, sorry for your loss. Glad the momma goat is doing OK.

default_sad.png
I'm so terribly sorry for such a tragic loss. Prayers are heading your way for both you and the little mom.

God bless,

Joan

Thanks for the advice about the trap! I didn't realize you could trap them, I thought you just had to be "lucky" enough to sight them and shoot them.

A friend here in our area lost a little mare several years ago to bobcat or some kind of big cat. They found her with massive injuries to her head and neck, as if it came down from a tree onto her. She survived at the vets for a few days but succumbed to infection from the wounds eventually and died.

Be careful out there hunting them.

Jan

That is awful. I never suspected a Bobcat would do something like that. I spotted a cougar once across the field from my house. The police thought I was totally nuts when I called and reported it. I live on the outskirts of town but in city limits. Then a couple other people spotted it. We even had a bear at the

post office one time.

I am so sad that goat lost her little baby. How heartbreaking for her. I just want to give her a big hug. Alot

of people don't know how truly loving a goat can be and what a companion.

Give goat a hug for me.

Latest posts

Back