Our first 2008 foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAYO

Reaction score
Our first foal was born tonight and we wanted to pass on the news. We also thought we would share how the mare acted prior to foaling. We all have questions about foaling and I think any first hand information is very helpful.........this morning when I went to feed was the first time she had wax on her teets, I turned her and another mare out for the morning and we kept an eye on her. I noticed later in the afternoon that she had not eaten all her morning grain and that she had had two bowel movement with loose stool. Checked her bag again and she had started leaking milk. At pm feeding she acted hungry but still hadn't finished her grain but did start on her hay. We went in for supper and I really thought we would have a couple of hours yet (in the past she usually foals later at night). Went to check her right after supper and there he stood. She hadn't lost her afterbirth at this point but he was up and getting around. It's pretty cold here (about 20) so I sent my nephew to the house to let the family know that our baby was here and then I started drying him off. The mare dropped her afterbirth a short time later and we got him covered up and he started nursing. Got his navel taken care of and made sure he could poop and they are now resting and getting to know each other. The coolest thing happened, most of our horses are in the barn she foaled in and her stall is completely enclosed so the other horses couldn't see what was happening but they knew something was up, the colt whinnyed and they all answered back, he whinnyed again and the same thing happend, it was like they were saying welcome!! I'm so glad she foaled this weekend instead of earlier in the week because we had 8 below Friday. Sorry so long!

Congratulations on your new colt. Glad everything went well and your little one is healthy.
default_aktion033.gif

Congrats on the new foal
default_smile.png

Glad all went well and that they are both doing fine
default_smile.png

Congratulations on your new colt!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Glad all went well......I've had my mares whinny back too...it's always kind of cool!
default_biggrin.png

Thank you for sharing the story of how he was born, and congratulations on your new boy!!!

Congratulations! I get so excited when one of ours has a foal. I know you are too. Pics please.

Ruth

Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif

A baby's first whinny is my favorite sound in the whole world!

Congratulaions on the new colt.
default_aktion033.gif

Thanks for sharing the info on the expectant

mom.

Joining the chorus - we would love to see

pictures!

Cathy

I think that's the greatest moment - when they whinny for the first time, and usually get a chorus of replies. After the tension of delivery, hoping everything goes well and the foal is healthy, etc, it kind of breaks the ice. It's when I stop holding my breath, and say whew, we're okay now.
default_smile.png

Jan

How fun and exciting! I think they can smell something going on, in addition to the little guy announcing his own arrival!! Horses are amazing aren't they??! My horses can actually see in to the foaling stalls and almost had one mare think she was going to try to tear through pipe fencing to get to a new baby that arrived- she wanted it!!! They get all wound up and excited.

One time with our full sized horses, the daughter of one of our mares had her foal way out in the back of the pasture. When we got up to go feed, the dam of this new mom was up by the house and began running in circles and whinnying at us! Her circles would head towards the back of the pasture and then she would come racing back to us alone. She was NOT one to ever leave the group, so we were scared that something was wrong and the other horses had gotten out or something.

As I went out through the pasture gate, she whinnied and took off again... then came back when I wasn't keeping up, LOL. When I finally saw the others at the back near a grove of trees, she ran to them and whinnied at me yet again and there in the hollow under the trees, was her daughter and first grandbaby! She was so happy to announce the arrival I guess. Funniest thing I ever saw.

You didnt post any pics of the new arrival?? Shame on you!! LOL Congrats- sounds like it was all a textbook delivery. Enjoy your new baby- they are so precious!

Oh, I love your 'welcome' story
default_wub.png
Thank you for sharing with us!

Charlotte

p.s. This is SUCH an exciting time of year! I check here every day looking for new baby stories
default_yes.gif

Congratulations on the new boy at your house and sounds like the birth was easy. Have you chosen a name as yet? We'll be waiting to see pictures and be sure to enjoy him.

Joyce

Thanks for all the congrats!! He looked like he was bay last night, with the heat lamps being orange it kind of throws the true color off, today he looks to be a dark buckskin just like his mamma. We are thinking of names and here are two Rose Mill's Legacy's Late Show (he was a little slow getting here) or Rose Mill's Legacy's Carbon Copy. Someone had a good idea........I'm having trouble posting pictures because of being in the boondocks and having dial up. This person suggested e-mailing the pictures to someone that can help me post them. I'm having technical difficulty and it's not all because of dial up, this is new for me. Thanks,

I'm getting some help with the picture thing.........(she's in highschool and this is soooo easy for her)!
th_newfoal001-1.jpg
th_newfoal001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back