Our filly is doing good now-Anhidrosis-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
I haven't been on here much lately just a quick look each day (been so busy but unwinding now)

thought someone could learn from our filly's experience

Just a report on our Perlino filly who is about 6 weeks old

I've seen some people have had some problems with the heat this year with foals

and wanted to share our experience. our filly Spice was born 6/12/08

and from day 1 struggled with the hot daytime weather at night she was fine

but during the day she would run a regular 103-104 fever and was on SMZ's and Dipyrone shots

for about 1-1/2 weeks and hosing her down 2 x's a day when her fever would rise

she was in the barn under a fan but that really didn't help alot and let out in the evening when it was cooler. Blood tests showed no infection. then second set of blood tests showed very elevated

liver #s forgot what tests they were. Dr at equine hospital was thinking at first liver problems

and wanted to do a liver biopsy then our vet told him how in the late night and early morning and after hosing she was fine like any other foal with no fever and it didn't add up. So it went on for another week we decided with our vet it was best to take her to the Mid Atlantic Equine hospital. They did an ultra sound which showed no problems. and blood tests that also had the liver levels down. and did some more eliminating to come to the conclusion her sweat glands did not kick in when she was born

diagnosis (anhidrosis - or non-seeater) They started her on "One AC" powder for 2 weeks and Ventipulmin for 1 week, she was at the hospital for 2 days and has been back home with us for 2 weeks now has been a normal healthy happy filly since she came home and today was her first day with no meds at all and came through it fine. They said she was young enough it might be all she needed to kick start here sweat glands and it seems to have worked. We still have to closely monitor her to be sure the fevers stay away and she does fine for awhile but the vet feels she will not need the continued "One AC"

I'm thrilled she has gotten through this with just that diagnosis although we still have to be careful with the hot weather and limit her time in the hotter sun. The good thing is she has been poked and proded and everything else since she was born nothing phases her but we gotta get her a pool she is a water abby since her 2x's a day 20 minute hosings. She is the perlino who was sleeping in the water bucket I posted a picture of now I know why she wanted so much to be in the water so much it was right after that that the fevers started. Maybe her story can save someone alot of $ in vet bills if they see similar symptoms.

She is our Keeper for sure this year. We planned to keep her when she was born and has grown into a classy young lady. Of course it could be barn blind but I just love her.

What a name we ended up giving her (we must have been in a mood that day)

Eagles Ring Spicy Mustard Seed

"Spice"

picture of our little darling today outside please excuse the messy clip job as they clipped her at the hospital, they had left the hair down the center of her back and we clipped some of that off too

her legs are still not clipped

spice118newsmall.jpg

added a couple more

spice109small.jpg

spice149small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting your experience; it will no doubt help someone down the road. So glad your lovely filly is doing better. She's a doll.
default_wub.png

Im so glad shes better. That is just fascinating. Thanks for posting that.

Lori, Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. It is very educational. We have a filly born recently that has had problems with the heat. Her temp remains normal though.

Charlotte

Thanks for the post. My 3 year old mare has Anhydrosis as well. I am glad you caught it early enough that the One AC was hopefully able to jump start her sweat glands
default_smile.png
We have to be very, very careful on hot days with my mare and Anhydrosis is not a very fun thing to deal with.

I am glad your filly is doing better and you arent alown on having a non-sweater!

Your filly is really cute
default_wub.png

~Jen~

Jen

is your mare on One AC as a 3 year old ?

does it help her?

your right our few weeks before taking her to the hospital were labor intensive with her

between meds, tests and hosing , taking temps, and last but not least adding up vet bills

But it was worth it all to find out her problem when they started talking liver problems

I was afraid we would have to put her down.

Jen is your mare on One AC as a 3 year old ?

does it help her?
My mare was on One AC as a 2-Year old. It didn't seem to help her much
default_sad.png
But, I've heard ALOT of horses respond to it. Of course, my little princess was her typical self and decided to be unusual and not respond it it
default_rolleyes.gif
It's been a hot summer up here(for Maine anyways), so I'm half tempted to try the One AC again. She was on several other supplements while on One AC, so I am tempted to try it again now that shes off everything but a coat supplement. Maybe the other supplements were preventing it from working how it should have. We keep it under control pretty good with fans, being careful when she's turned out, etc. Didn't take long before it just became routine to be extra careful with her. And my mare could have it much worse...she just lives in Maine....I keep telling her that it could be Texas, Florida, etc
default_wink.png

~Jen~

Your information is very much appreciated. Would never have thought of that.

The baby is beautiful and I would want to keep her too!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad to hear she is doing better. You're not barn blind! I think she is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Thank you for sharing your story. I always think about my boys due to the heat here in Central Texas. It's going to be 101 today. I go out every afternoon and water them down with cool water.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments about our little filly Spice

It certainly makes us feel good.

I hope you find some relief for your mares Diane and Jen

it is so frustrating that they can't just go out like the rest of the horses in the hot weather

Charlotte hope you little filly adjusts soon to this terrible heat year

We are still keeping Spice in during the hottest hours of the day under a fan (suggestested by the vet)

but at least now and hopefully for now on she is comfortable in her stall out of the hottest sun.

Gives me another reason to hope for fall like I needed another one it's been such a hot summer.

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
She is beautiful!!! I am so glad she is doing well. Thanks for the up date

Back