Our dog, Suzy. Her story...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't read all the posts so someone might have made this suggestion, neurologic. Have you had a brain scan done. Most of those symptoms sound what they call here in New England "old dog disease", a neurologic disorder.

Talked to the vet. She said we'll check liver enzymes. I said I thought bringing her in would be traumatic. She said but how is she there? I mentioned she seemed comfortable, but the vet pointed out that if she's not eating she's telling us she isn't. And quality of life needs to be considered. Have we been blind? She seems so content/comfortable, but maybe we've waited too long.

Appt is for Monday at 5:30, so Mark can go with me. There's no openings before then anyway. I'm quite heart broken at the decision we may need to make. We haven't lost a pet for 10 years... and I just can't stop the tears.

Oh Karla, you are breaking my heart. I can feel your sorrow.

My husband tried to hang onto his elderly dog for what I believe was 'too long'. She had stopped eating, stopped enjoying life. He was basically force feeding her, including the stuff in the tube that you are using. One minute she would seem like she had a bit of spark in her, the next minute she would go down hill again. I honestly believe he was 'blind' to her pain too. She had always been a thin dog, but in the end she was skin and bones.

It was really hard to watch my husband go through this as his dog was 18 years old and he just wanted to keep her going.

Karla, I understand how difficult this is for you.

xox Leonie xox

Karla I am so sorry you are going through this

I know about a year and a half ago Sadie started urinating on herself, couldnt get up and down steps, barely ate etc. Took her to the vet and they said it was old age as 10 was old for a border collie. We resigned ourselves that it would be her last weeks/months.

About 4 weeks later she suddenly came out of it. Oddest thing I have ever seen. All of a sudden she could walk steps, urinated outside, ate again. Called the vet and he said all he could think of was she had a virus?

Shes almost 12 now and her age is definitely catching up but still not what it was that fall

Sending good thoughts to you

Thanks, Leonie--your note made me cry again. Your poor husband.

Kay--that's amazing. It gives me hope--

What is keeping this emotional rollercoaster going is Suzy was up earlier today and I groomed her; she didn't eat then. She was up again this evening, so I ran into the house to get the whole bowl of cooked chicken and set it before her. She went right at it!! She didn't eat a lot--but it's the second time she's eaten today!

Mark says we'll take her in Monday for the liver test to compare it to what it was before, but he doesn't think she's ready to leave. When our first dog, Trooper, was ready to go--it was a clear cut decision. Suzy gives us just enough to think she'd like to stick around. It may be weeks, or months. Since I'm home in the summer, I can keep a close watch on her. Mark is quite logical about such things, so I need to listen to him to guide our decisions--as I may not be feeling so logical/rational.

What a rollercoaster.
default_sad.png

Gosh Karla I hate you are going through this and I totally know how you feel. I guess I"m different because I would deem this an emergency situation and get her in to a vet now. Like KK says, this could be anything such as a virus, who knows, and sometimes every minute counts. To me, and yes I am paranoid, Monday is a long time to wait so I just wouldn't but that's just me because when it comes to luck, I don't have any. The good news is that she is eating which is a really good sign I would hope and that the paste seems to be working so that tells you maybe she's not ready to leave you. I'll be thinking of her and I'm glad she is comfortable. Get well soon Suzy! She's an adorable doggie.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Karla, I am so sorry you and Suzy are going through this, having met her when she was bouncy and full of life, it is hard to imagine her having no energy. I am glad you found the high cal paste. I am sending good thoughts for Suzy and you that she may come through this whatever it is. Hugs to you.

Yvonne

Karla, you're doing everything just right. The vet hasn't the answers, you do this time. Feed her what she'll eat, the high cal/fat additive is a good thing. She'll look at you and Honey, you will know when the time is. She's a fine lady and doesn't hurt right now, just keep loving her. The Reiki flows.
default_pray.gif

Karla

I have followed your post and am so sad that you are having to deal with this but know you will do what is right for Suzy. It sounds like the paste is helping her to feel hungry so will add her and you to the prayer list. You will do what is right for both of you you always do.

Nita

Karla, you're doing everything just right. The vet hasn't the answers, you do this time. Feed her what she'll eat, the high cal/fat additive is a good thing. She'll look at you and Honey, you will know when the time is. She's a fine lady and doesn't hurt right now, just keep loving her. The Reiki flows.
Deb--thank you so much! It's sweet music for me to hear she's not in pain. Neither Mark nor I have thought so, but the vet made me doubt myself and it hurt terribly.
default_wub.png
Nita, Yvonne, Marty--thank you , thank you. Your words of support mean a lot.

There seems to be a turn around--whether it's the gel stuff (thank you again, Jill!) or Deb's touch--something is different and for the better!
default_smile.png
Suzy ate twice yesterday. I fed her again this morning, then had to be gone all morning (mammo--oh joy) but left directions for Justin about what to do. He said she was up when he got home last night AND she ate again for him a while ago!! On the way home I bought more bologna and another tube of stuff--this one is more high calorie.

Something is working!! My heart smiles.
default_wub.png

I know some of you may be weary of seeing this post pop up--BUT--Suzy ate five times today!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

She was awake longer than in the past weeks--she ate more today than she usually eats in three days, she was alert! She kept giving me that "I'm hungry" look and I'd grab her favorites and watch her dive in. I'd look in the bowl and was shocked it was licked clean--not every time--but enough. It's like she woke up from a long sleep.

I don't understand it and I don't know how long it'll last--but I sure as heck LOVE it.

My heart sings.
default_yes.gif

I am glad to hear she is 'better'.. I wish you the best!

How is her parasite program?!

Is she dewormed as needed?

Fleas?

Ticks?

I really feel she was lacking 'something'.. anemic?!

Heat stressed..

The Nutra-Cal (and a like) is amazing stuff. I manage a Petco..

Ah I smile....all things help...your love, the gel, the Reiki and most of all faith. Huge hugs.

I am glad to hear she is 'better'.. I wish you the best! Thank you.

How is her parasite program?!

Is she dewormed as needed? We had the vet check a stool sample and she's all clear.

Fleas? She gets that new topical Heartworm treatment that covers a lot that

Ticks? Thery do a Lyme check when the Heartworm one is done.

I really feel she was lacking 'something'.. anemic?! That's never come up--the vet can check MOnday.

Heat stressed.. It's been a very cool summer here, as in only 3-4 days even in the 80s--and although she has thick black hair--she has tons of shade to choose from and she does move into it. It's wonderfully breezy here too,

The Nutra-Cal (and a like) is amazing stuff. I manage a Petco.. Apparently it is!!...
default_wink.png

OH Karla

Im so glad Suzy did better for you who knows why they do what they do but Thanks to God for giving you some more time with your girl.

I'm so relieved she seems to be on the mend. You had us way too worried!

Sounds like she is working through whatever is bothering her thank goodness.
default_saludando.gif

default_sad.png
She's not doing nearly as well today. Something in her eyes has changed. They are saying "I'm tired of feeling like this." to me.
default_sad.png

I'll see what tomorrow brings.

I just want us to do the right thing, the best thing, for her.

Rollercoaster ride for the heart.

Update--it's 11 PM--I just came in from hanging out with Suzy. When I went out she was standing up looking alert. The cat was meandering on the front porch and suddenly, shockingly, Suzy barked at her--lunged in her direction and wagged her tail!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png
Shimano took over the chase for her. All I could think is "what the heck!"

When Suzy sleeps, she's sleeping so deeply she doesn't really respond. That must have been what was happening earlier--she was just up a bit between deep sleeps-and not fully awake.

She's nestled in her straw pile now and her breathing is so calm--it's a beautiful night--in more ways than one.
default_wub.png

Suzy went to the vet--her liver functions are much worse. One number is double what it should be, the other is 4 times what it should be. The vet said she's acting exactly like what the numbers read. So--we're trying the meds for liver functions for a month or so, just to see if it helps her. We should know in a week if they're making a difference.

Suzy laid on the table the whole time--never moved. The vet said, and understandably so, that from the looks of her there it looks like she should be put down, but she said that was just a snapshot of what she's like--she doesn't see her all day. She said we should to do this one option so we never regret the decision and have to live with "what ifs." Suzy gives us enough motion, eating, alertness, for us to believe she'd like a little more time. As soon as she got back into the van--she was more alert and walked around when she got home, and ate some.

One pill is to be given on an empty belly--the other on a full--the later will be trickier.

Sorry to hear that your Suzy is still not any better. I hope the new meds can give her the turn around that she needs.

When I have had older dogs get near their end I have noticed that they rally and have one last burst of life and energy before their body gives in. I hope this isn't what you have experienced with Suzie but I feel it is their last burst of life to show you how happy a life you gave them and how much they love you.

I am sorry it wasn't better news. We had a cat that had liver problems and she did come out of it. We had her for about 3 more years. She was an older cat. Our vet had given us milk thistle pills to help and I had to give her them for a month or so and it seemed to help. May not be the same for dogs. We are all pulling for you and Suzy, Karla!

Latest posts

Back