Our dog, Suzy. Her story...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
Suzy is 10 years old. We’ve had her since she was 8 weeks and she’s been healthy all her life, until….. about a year ago my daughter noticed Suzy’s jaw seemed to be moving—and we discovered she had a broken tooth—a big one. The vet said she’d have to be put under to have it removed, so we took her in. We were supposed to be able to pick her up the same day, but they called and said she wasn’t coming out of the anesthesia like they wanted, so they wanted to keep her overnight. She came home with meds to take—antibiotics and others. She got them all on schedule.

She’s never been the same since that day. She’s lethargic. She used to be a jumper--impressing everyone who came with her verticle height. But she'd never jumped again. She wouldn’t eat dry food after the surgery, so we bought her canned food. She liked it and kept her weight fine. Then she started not eating that. I searched around and asked others about what to try and tried: cottage cheese, meat baby food, dog food sauce, rice, oatmeal. None of those worked (Suzy’s sister loved them all, except the cottage cheese.) I found she loved hot dog or hamburger rolls and I finally bought chicken legs and boiled them for her. She loves the broth more than anything, but will eat the meat. She also liked bologna for awhile. She likes Italian bread. I’ve tried to get her to eat peanut butter because it’s high in fat and protein, but it’s not working. She recently enjoyed beef jerky strips—made as a dog treat—we bought many bags of them for her. Lately, I’ve left them at her side all night but they’ll be there in the morning.

Back tracking: last winter, when inside due to cold, Suzy started peeing on a green rug. We took her to the vet and the vet saw how we had to literally push/usher her wherever she needed to go. It seemed to be a mental loss--cognitive, rather than physical. We’d taken in a urine sample and it showed the start of crystals, so they put her on a med to dissolve them. The blood work showed nothing wrong. The vet said “sometimes when older dogs go under anesthesia, it flips a switch.” But, Suzy rallied a bit. The only time back then when she acted peppy was when I’d come down to let her out at 4 AM. She’d bounce like a puppy. My husband didn’t believe me until he saw it with his own eyes—because she was so lethargic all day.

Months later when she seemed to be going downhill even more, I took another urine sample to the vet, almost hoping it showed something, but it didn’t. They said to try to get her to drink more. She’s been tested for Heartworm and Lyme. Nothing.

Suzy is now eating just enough to keep her alive. My husband estimates her weight at 45 lbs when she should be 60. She’ll go 2-3 days eating so little, that I prepare my college kids and myself for the worse…then she rallies. I thought last night was her last; I sat with her a long time and told her it was okay to let go… but she’s still going today. When her head is up there’s always the possibility she’ll eat, so I offer. She’s not in any pain that we can tell—and she still gets up to do her business. She can even look alert. She tried to bark sometimes, but it’s weak—sounds like it’s from lack of use. Her poops seem a perfect consistency. She’ll sleep in her favorite straw filled corner by the house outside—and moves into the little shed now and then. Her rugs and pillows are in there. If it’s going to storm, my husband carries her inside for a few times she wouldn’t move completely out of the rains; sometimes she doesn’t move an inch from where he lays her, for hours.

We are watching her closely—constantly now since I’m home for the summer. She still gets up—although she’s wobbly and walks around and seems to take in her surroundings. Once she is unable to get up to do her business or gives us any indication she’s in pain, we’ll let her go. Until then, we will do whatever it takes to make her as comfortable and content as possible. It doesn’t seem she’s ready to leave.

I tell you her/our story in the slim chance someone has experienced something similar and had any advice to offer. I keep thinking if I could find the food she’d eat heartily, she’d gain strength and it’d turn her around. But, I know it’s hopeful thinking. There are so many animal lovers on here—I thought it was worth a post.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Suzy, one year ago

greatSuzypic.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

With her sister, Shimano.

SuzyandShimano.jpg

Last month:

IMG_9801-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Karla I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say I'm sorry. It's hard knowing their time with us is getting short.

ahh Karla, wish I had some advice to offer but don't
default_sad.png
I know how it is knowing that "the end" may be near, my sister's dalmatian is getting up there in age and we thought we were going to lose him this past winter, but thankfully he's still with us, will crush my sister when the time comes
default_no.gif

Hoping you can figure out what is wrong with her, and if not, give her the love and affection she deserves and that you find peace in knowing you gave her the best possible life up to the last minute
default_wub.png

Karla that is such a darn shame and seems to me the anesthesia caused all this and now with your guy ageing it complicated things even more.

The things about anesthesia that scares me the most is I saw what it did to my mother who went in for a 5 way by pass. They couldn't wake her up until the next day after surgery and that was not normal. I was so alarmed and so were some of the nurses but the doctor acted like "oh well, it happens sometimes." When my mom finally woke up later that next night, she was never the same and Alzheimer’s seemed to kick right in fast. Before surgery, she was only forgetful, but afterwards, my mom was never like she was after having that by pass and she didn't know if she was coming or going, not to mention she dropped her weight fast down to skin and bones and never had an appetite anymore.

Karla, I'm wondering if maybe your dog had a stroke while under the anesthesia. I would take him to another vet immediately. Even if you think the sun sets and rises on the vet you have now, I'd be going to someone else for another opinion before making any decisions to put him to sleep. Good luck my friend.

Well, there are similarities in her symptoms to those my dog Sheba had in the weeks prior to her death, but there are also symptoms you describe that Sheba did not have. I will ask this--can Suzy open her mouth normally? Or, if you aren't sure if she can, can you take hold of her jaws and open her mouth, or can you open it just a bit before it seems to stick & not open any further, and does she exhibit signs of pain at this point?

Sheba had cranial nerve damage--it was idiopathic, meaning there was no known cause. I know for a fact that she suffered no injury. Initially I thought her teeth were going bad, but when I took her into the vet they confirmed that her teeth were not in bad shape at all. Regardless, they cleaned her teeth & sent her home. I guess they had forced her mouth open too wide, and she was in serious pain that night. I was not happy & made a complaint, because I had taken her in to be checked, and said I wasn't sure it was anything with her teeth, but please check them. They just cleaned her teeth & didn't check her otherwise. I ended up getting my money refunded, but only because the bookkeeper reversed the entry to my account before she resigned and left the clinic (other problems there, she didn't quit because of my dog!!) Sheba gradually ate less and less, just because she couldn't open her mouth enough to eat comfortably. She lost weight, and we noticed that her head was changing shape, which I couldn't figure out--when I had a different vet look at her, she took one look at Sheba & diagnosed the problem. The change in head shape was due to the fact that the cranial nerves were degenerating, and as a result the muscles over the top of her head had atrophied. I'd never realized until then how much muscle there is over the top & sides of a dog's head! Sheba got to the point where she couldn't bark, again because she couldn't move her mouth enough.

There is a condition that causes similar symptoms, but as I recall it affects the nerves (or muscles? I forget the details now) to the lower jaw. The vet didn't think that was the problem with Sheba--and I'm sorry that I cannot think offhand what that condition was called. It's a long, difficult to pronounce word(s) but is commonly referred to by 2 or 3 initials...there's an M in there. Urgh, that's the best I can come up with just now. Because of the atrophy on top Sheba's head the vet was sure it was the cranial nerve that was causing the trouble. We tried putting Sheba on anti-inflammatory drugs but it didn't help, and so we had to have her put to sleep.

There do seem to be similarities, but Suzy seems to have progressed much slower with whatever she has than Sheba did. Sheba started having problems late in the winter and was put to sleep the beginning of May, though it's possible there were subtle signs that we missed earlier on. Sheba was getting stiff with some arthritis and if there was lethargy or any other subtle signs, we attributed it to that. I cannot say for sure, but after reading your description I looked closely at your photos, and it appears that Suzy may have some change in her head shape from the photos from a year ago to the one taken last month. Perhaps it is just the camera angle & her ear position, but the top of her head appears to be less flat now--it's more domed from side to side? That is something like how Sheba's went, though in the later stages her skull shape became even more pronounced--it was nothing more than bone covered by skin.

This may not be Suzy's problem at all, but do check out her jaws & see if they work properly.

Darn, I have to try to hunt up the name of that other condition...myo-something....

Hi , yesterday my 13 year old Chihuahua started to loose his balance, and today he is really not using his hind left leg, and has fallen over 2 times......I am a wreck right now. In this Country , and for sure in the Alps it is normal to just euthanise him when he cant walk, judging by yesterday and today ....It looks like that time is now , or in the near future... I am not OK, and never will be ok without him, So I feel for you, I know this time for you is painful and confusing,it is for me too. A big hug for you.

Karla --

I don't have much advice, but want to say I'm sorry for what you and Suzy are going through. Personally, there is not much in this world I love more than my dogs as they are our babies.

Has a complete bloodwork up been done? If not, that's my only "medical" suggestion.

At PetsMart, PetCo, and Walmart (probably other places, too), you can buy this stuff that comes in what looks sort of like a toothpaste tube. It is called stuff ike NutraCal, SuperCal, PetCal, etc. It is a very high calorie paste that is supposed to taste good. It has so many calories that you as a person don't even want to look at it too long (haha). But it is good for dogs who need to gain weight, and it is also supposed to increase appetite. Something like that might be worth a try. We've used it before on dogs recovering from surgeries.

If she seems achy / arthritic, Cosequin is beneficial. Some of the actual pain killers for arthritis can be dangerous and if I remember (read here, long ago) one in particular can be especially dangerous for labs so be aware...

Good luck,

Jill

Thank for your thoughts, everyone. Minimor--she can open her mouth just fine. I've held her food bowl--or pieces of food--or sat and watched her eat for months now and I for sure know at least that.

Jill--the high calorie stuff sound like it's worth a try. We used peanut butter to hide her pills in, and it helped with weight gain--so I sure was hoping she'd readily eat that.

Thanks.

Oh Karla, having met Her, such a sweet lady, sending prayers and more with your permission.

Marty--what similarities in your mom's story.
default_sad.png

give her the love and affection she deserves and that you find peace in knowing you gave her the best possible life up to the last minute wub.gif
That's exactly how I feel, Cristina. My goal at this place is to make sure every animal, rabbit, to cat, to dog, to horse, is in a state of contentment as much as possible. When their time is close, I want them to be treated with dignity. When two of my daughter's rabbits were in their last days due to old age. I told her to make sure there was a carrot in their cage at all times--and one night she came in and I asked if "Sweetheart" had a carrot. She'd forgotten, so I ran one out at 10 PM. Sweetheart died in the night, but the carrot was gone. We knew she went happily with a belly full of good stuff.
default_wub.png

We feel with Suzy it's a lot to do with her thought process because it's almost like she had to think about eating and think about going to the bathroom, even think about walking. She couldn't decide if she should eat, or wanted to eat. It's always exciting for us when she dives into her food, a rare moment. I've found if she's sitting up, the best way to get her to eat is to position her bowl between her front paws. This morning she is more alert than in days.
default_smile.png
Her head was up when I headed out for chores, so I ran into get her some food--and I put it right between her paws. I had to get to horses, so I tied Shimano up so she wouldn't get at the food. (She's usually pretty good about leaving her alone.) She ate half the bread and bologna I put in there--which is fine. Because I can never get her to eat more if she cleans her plate--I always give her more than I think she'll want. Shimano is always happy to eat the rest.
default_rolleyes.gif

Oh how I'll miss this girl when her earthly time is up. She's a total love bug. Dang--it's the hard part about having pets for sure. Our first dog, Trooper, lived to 14. I guess it's harder to see Suzy go from all heart and energy to all heart and no energy.

Deb--of course--permission granted for whatever you have in mind. I'd forgotten that you'd met her.
default_smile.png

What Jill has mentioned is a good ideal, here we call it High - Cal, we can only get it from our vet, it is around $8.00 and can help them to want to eat....

I keep it on hand for my dogs after birthing to give them a boost and for puppies that need a helping hand....

So sorry to hear this is happening to you... God Bless and
default_pray.gif
for you and Suzy

Keep us posted on your precious dog....
default_no.gif

Karla, I''m so sorry your Suzy is feeling this poorly. Must be breaking your heart.
default_sad.png
I was wondering if you have any hollistic vets around your area where you can take her to get a work up/physical and possibly look into accupuncture or.....? There are some organic, natural, body healing things you can give her as well, as opposed to the NSAIDS and such. Just a thought.

Karla I am so sorry...

I had the same thing happen to my Mom under for surgery, as Marty. For a colonoscopy procedure, my Mom came out with no short term memory at all.

I think if I were you I would call Bonnie and see what she says. She may be the only one that would know.

I checked one Wal-Mart for the PetCal stuff--but they didn't have it...I'll check another one and the Pet-Co tomorrow! I cooked her chicken today--so hopefully she'll eat that. Smells good in here.
default_smile.png

I know that Petco carries Nutri-cal. It would definately be something to try and hopefully it will give her a nice boost. I looked it up on petco.com (but I know they carry it in the stores too) http://www.petco.com/product/105877/Tomlyn...sandSupplements They also have a senior dog vitamin gel, but I think the puppy nutri-cal is a better 'kick'. Good luck with your girl. L

Well--I got some stuff--it's called Senior Vitamin Gel, made by Petco. The tube says "...formulated with Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids, Soy Protein Concentrate and L-Caritine. It is formulated in a concentrated gel to provide supplemental caloric and nutritional intake for senior dogs. For her size--she should get 4-5 tsp 3 times a day--which will use this tube in a hurry. But, I love the gel part because I can rub it on her gums/lips and she will lick it off. So--she can't spit it out!! I picked this tube because it is 32% fat; the other was 17%.

Thanks, Magic the Mini--you linked to the same stuff--I just got the Senior one. The internet price is cheaper--and free shipping if I order a bunch--so I'll see how it goes in the next few days, then order a case!
default_smile.png

Hopefully, this will help.

Thanks!

PS There are no holistic vets around that I know of... and yes blood work was done--months after her tooth removal--to check everything. Urine analysis has been done twice.

Well--so far I've given it to Suzy four times... I called the vet to ask exactly what tests were done before.

Feb-urine check and liver enzymes (meds given to stop formation of stones, liver functions normal)

March--normal vaccines

April-- Heartworm check (negative)

May--urine check (normal)

I explained how things are now--vet is going to call back.

Latest posts

Back