Our dog, Suzy. Her story...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I have been reading this post I have also been glancing at our mini schnauzer, Buddy. Our oldest daughter rescued him on the 4th of July 4 years ago. He was a mess, rotten teeth, sores, all kinds of hucklespurs and sand spurs in his fur. About 6mos.after she rescued him he dug under our fence. My in-laws came over and found him wet, cowering and growling outside the garage. He had been attacked and nearly ripped apart. The vet was amazed that he survived. Recently, Buddy started to decline, wasn't eating, sleeping a lot, loosing weight. We took him to the vet again around Fathers Day. He did blood work and x-rays. His X-rays looked like an anatomy puzzle. It turns out that during the attack 4 years ago his diaphragm was torn. Unfortunately, the vet nor we knew it. Since that time his organs have migrated. His intestines are in his chest, one lung is collapsed. Because Buddy had fluid in his lungs and around his heart the vet gave us Lasix. He said Buddy would tell us when it was time but he didn't think he would make it more than a week or two. In the meanwhile I had been searching for a Boston Bull Terrier for Gary. We adopted a three year old female and a 7 mo. old male in the week after Buddy went to the vet. These two little guys have revived Buddy. He is no longer on Lasix. He is eating canned and dry puppy food as well as nutracal. He has started to play with and run with the other two guys in the house & yard.

I know that Buddy's time is probably limited as it sounds like Suzy's may also be. However, It sounds like neither of them is ready to go yet. Until he "lets me know" I will continue to enjoy those little moments with Buddy like when Suzy barked at your cat. Their love is so genuine and unconditional, their joy so pure. I think they know how much we love them too.

HUGS

Ruth

Oh Karla, still sending my best. I've got an orphan toy fox terrier just today...seems the mom died 4 were warm but this one was left for dead. I took him, he's warm and fed, ya just have to have faith and what will be will be. Prayers and light Hun.

Just wanted to tell whoever was wondering--Suzy's gone. She stood yesterday for over 30 minutes, but was otherwise sleeping and she didn't eat anything. This morning she was standing to greet me after chores, but she was noticeably weaker and she wouldn't eat. Walking was more difficult. We spent a lot of time with her--especially yesterday and this morning. But it was time--that was clear. Letting it go longer would not have been fair. We took her to the vet's this morning. The vet, so kind and compassionate, came to the van where Suzy laid on a pink towel--her head snuggly in my lap. The end was peaceful. She's buried in a new garden with a marker my daughter made for her years ago--her name in glitter.

I miss her so.

Darn it Karla, I wish it could hae had a different ending for all of you.

I am so sorry for your loss and know you will be missing her for a long

long time. Hope the happy memories soon replace your sadness.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been there and I've cried buckets, but being there, holding them at the end, is the final act of love we can show them. It is the toughest one of all for us, but a blessing for them. You are a good mom to your fur kids.

Hugs

Cheryl

I'm so sorry
default_sad.png
(((hugs)))

Oh Karla, you gave her the best life and the best ending all of love and peace. Much love and hugs over the miles. Remember to explain it to her sister, she will mourn perhaps tho I bet she instinctively knew and may well have already said her goodbyes. So very sorry for your heartaches.

Karla

Im so sorry for your grief. I know tht you did everything right and Suzy knows it too. May time heal your heart. Prayers for good memories to heal your heart.

Nita

I am so sorry for your loss.. She was beautiful! You did all you could and the best in the end.. *hugs* to you.

I'm so sad to hear this Karla. What a roller coaster ride you had with her recently. I think she really did try to hang on for as long as she could.

xox Leonie xox

When they've loved us so much for so long, letting them go when it's their time is the ultimate act of love. Unfortunately the right thing isn't necessarily the easiest thing but when you love them it's the best thing.

I haven't been on the forum much lately..I am so sorry to hear about Suzy. All I can say is ((HUGS)).

Latest posts

Back