Ottawa (Canada's capital city) rooting for Obama

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
Mon, November 3, 2008

O-Town for Obama

Supporters will come together at downtown eatery to watch election results

By EARL McRAE

He's standing with his bike at Laurier and King Edward waiting to cross when I spot a familiar poster pasted to his backpack: Change We Can Believe In. A half hour earlier I'd been at the East African Restaurant on Rideau St., the unofficial headquarters in Ottawa for Barack Obama's local Canadian supporters.

Ten minutes before that I was at a house on Range Rd. where there is a sign on the lawn reading Obama 08, posters in the window reading Obama 08 and Yes We Can.

There was nobody home.

Three weeks ago, in another part of the city, Rachel Decoste, an Ottawa computer programmer, and some friends took a bus to Michigan to do volunteer work at the Obama office in Dearborn.

Ottawans for Obama.

They're here, there, everywhere in the capital.

The Barack Obama Underground.

They might not all have voted in the recent Canadian general election, but everyone of them would vote for Obama if they could. They're not only in Ottawa, but across Canada. Mostly the young, different colours, different creeds, disciples of the king of hope for wounded America and, they believe, the whole world.

ON BIG SCREEN

In Ottawa, East African Restaurant, 376 Rideau, is the primary meeting ground. Tomorrow night worshippers of the Democratic nominee will be packing the place, with 30-year-old owner Alexander Semaw, an Ethiopian-Canadian and rabid Obama supporter, providing election coverage over the TV set at the bar and the big screen that'll descend from the ceiling. There'll even be a special Obama Beer served.

"When my husband is in, he's always watching CNN on the TV," said Semaw's wife Nebiat. " It's always on CNN. He can't stay away from it. For him, it's Barack Obama all the time."

East African Restaurant had Obama posters in the window, but when a group of his fanatics recently bused to the States for one of his rallies, they took the posters with them. "I would've gone, too, but I had to work," said Semaw.

Alexander, why you so crazy for Obama?

"He gives all of us such hope. When I first saw his speech in Iowa, I remember thinking 'Who is this guy?' He was so different, so inspiring. I had never heard anything like it. No matter if you are doing the cooking, cleaning the office, mopping the floor, he talked about what it is to be the best you can be. I was so moved.

"He's intelligent, confident, he knows how to talk to people in simple terms they can understand. I have never heard such a great speaker. His message of unity, that there are no red states, no blue states, just the United States. It wasn't just a message for America, but all of us.

HOPE FOR HUMANKIND

"Here in Canada, too. Whether you're Conservative, Liberal, NDP, Bloc Quebecois, gay, lesbian, black, white, Jew, Christian, Hindu, Muslim, we are all inclusive. We are all human beings, people of the planet. We are all in that state. His is a message of hope for humankind."

Do you wish Canada had a Barack Obama?

"Absolutely. I hope one day we will. A leader who is so gracious, sincere and appealing. Who can bring us all together. As Obama says -- yes we can. Canada needs an Obama."

He paused.

"Minorities. Immigrants. We work so hard to help Canada grow. Our wildest dream is to have someone like that in Canada to show the world.

"Someone to inspire and engage the rest of the world. We have the first minority governor-general. In that way, we are an example to America. It can happen at the prime ministerial level."

You're confident Obama will win?

"When people get into the voting booth, we really don't know. But, yes. It'll be close, but I believe he will win. When he does, everyone in my restaurant will be in tears, they'll be so happy."

It has to be asked, Alexander -- do you ever fear for his life?

"God forbid. I cannot imagine the consequences should that ever happen. It'd be so devastating."

Do you wish Canada had a Barack Obama?
"Absolutely. I hope one day we will. A leader who is so gracious, sincere and appealing. Who can bring us all together. As Obama says -- yes we can. Canada needs an Obama."

Man I wish you had him too. But I shouldn't say that because the last time this subject came up I was informed that a LOT of people DON'T want him, we can keep him. Please take him.
default_laugh.png

It's obvious that you have not read any international papers to see how people feel, not only in Canada but in the world. Being in the job I am in and working for the Government of Canada, it's something I do on a daily basis, for my job. In Canada the majority do not want to see McCain get in. He is just another Bush and a war-monger. It's time for two things. One is to go after Bin Laden in earnest and stop the insanity in Iraq. Iraq was not what you were told it was. Oh yes you "rescued" people from a dicator BUT you were there for a main reason and that was oil, don't fool yourself. It's time for the U.S. to come and help what other countries are trying to do by being in Afghanistan and that is go after Bin Laden, no holds barred. This guy must be laughing at all of us over there trying to fight and dying. The Taliban, if you haven't read lately, are regaining their strength and many Canadian troops and other allies from other countries are dying. The priority MUST shift to Bin Laden, as it should have been from the get go. After this is accomplished the U.S. needs a more diplomatic approach to foreign affairs and ONLY resort to all out war as the last option. I sure as heck don't feel safer today after your 8 years with Bush, that's for sure. The entire world does not feel safer and we won't feel safe with a Bush clone - McCain or with Palin who is clueless.

I think I am going to join these people tomorrow night at this restaurant in Ottawa to watch Obama's victory. The world will be watching and cheering. The Bush bullying and lies will finally cease.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I certainly don't think that Canada has the U.S.'s best interest at heart...I remember a post a while back that some of the canadians were chearing when the U.S. dollar started sinking. Good for Ottawa if they are cheering for Obama, fortunately it doesn't mean anything when it comes to the election.

I haven't given up hope for my candidate yet.

Putting on the flame suit.....

I cannot wait for the US election to be over and for the back porch to go back to being the back porch instead of a fueled election ground.

As Canadians we can hope for one to win the election to help benefit our needs, but honestly, taking it to the point as some of those people and buisinesses have done is utterly useless and a waste of thier own time. Heck... dont they have something more useful to do with thier time?! Also to say that Ottawa and thus making it seem like the city as a whole is rooting for Obama is not the truth, as common sense would tell us. We as Canada have had our election...it is time to sit back, respectfully acknowlege, and await for the US to have thiers.

That is the end to my first and final election rant.

Cheers

Masako

As Canadians we can hope for one to win the election to help benefit our needs
Thankyou White Sock for admitting that. Most on here will not. I will admit, if I followed Canadian politics I would be rooting for the one that I felt would benefit the U.S. the most...call it selfish, but that's what I'd be thinking...and I know that others think the same be it Americans or Canadians, it's human nature, but few will admit it.

I know very little about Canadian politics and even if I did, I can't begin to feel and understand the impact of your election like you can...I don't live there, I don't pay your taxes, I do not talk to your citizens on a daily basis, I don't see it, I don't walk in your shoes...I can not understand, therefore I probably would not have an opinion and if I did, I would not call it an educated opinion because I haven't lived it. Not saying that other countries aren't entitled to their opinion, but don't I have the option of dismissing their opinion when I go into the voting booth without being attacked??

I am not so niave to say that what one country does, does not affect others..but would you base your vote on someone from the U.S. or any other country for that matter? Just something for everyone to think about.

We as Canada have had our election...it is time to sit back, respectfully acknowlege, and await for the US to have thiers.
thankyou, I'll be glad when it's all over too! I'm really hoping that whomever wins, it all ends peacefully!

Putting on the flame suit.....I cannot wait for the US election to be over and for the back porch to go back to being the back porch instead of a fueled election ground.

As Canadians we can hope for one to win the election to help benefit our needs, but honestly, taking it to the point as some of those people and buisinesses have done is utterly useless and a waste of thier own time. Heck... dont they have something more useful to do with thier time?! Also to say that Ottawa and thus making it seem like the city as a whole is rooting for Obama is not the truth, as common sense would tell us. We as Canada have had our election...it is time to sit back, respectfully acknowlege, and await for the US to have thiers.

That is the end to my first and final election rant.

Cheers

Masako

Oh...to be 22 again
default_smile.png

Lol I may only be 22 but I follow politics and the market quite vigorously!

I like to be educated in what happens around me so I can make appropriate decisions and opinions. (Well hopefully)

I like debate (did that in high school for 6 years...dork I know) but not outright arguing and belief/opinion bashing. I have not stated whether I am pro Obama or pro McCain, I merely posted my critical thinking regarding the original article posted.
default_wink.png

lol and yes 22 years of age is pretty darned sweet, but since when has age determined everyones maturity level?

Back