Oster Clipmaster

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
Does anybody own a pair? We've owned our pair for seven years (bought them with our original herd) and to be honest we've used them twice?

I finally dug them out of hiding today and cleaned them up in hopes of using them. They wouldn't clip the hair, but they did run? Is this caused by the tensioning being too tight?

These things are literally ancient. The ones online don't even have the same number as it.

I still use the Osters my great grandparents used back ib the early 80's
default_smile.png
I have a new pair that i bought last year and they are only used as back ups. If the blades are new then yes, i'd say it's the tension. Takes a bit of playing with it to figure what works best. Drives me nuts each spring doing it as it always takes me a while to figure out where i need it. My grandfather takes it apart every fall and cleans everything. Also, make sure it has plenty of oil and i always grease them up too.

I agree with the tension. Tighten it until it cuts right. Lots of oil as stated above too. If they run they are capable of clipping. I've seen some really old ones used. I'm surprised they even had electricity back then...

I have them too and never use them. They are really loud and hard to handle and blades are very expensive.

Are those the gold ones?
I do believe it was gold or silver. Not the pretty blue or black they have now!

You can tell its old by just looking at the cord. It looks like an old vacuum cleaner cord. Not the smooth, plastic looking cords we have now.

I was able to use it today and I am not a fan! lol. It was loud (didn't bother me or my horse) and it SHOOK violently. I thought my hand was going to fall off! It also wasn't able to get the nooks and crannies that my 26'' filly had!

I promptly gave up. lol.

EDIT: Riverrose, its this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stewart-by-Oster-Clipmaster-Model-510A-Head-with-Additional-Blades-/370617759880

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set, love them for winter woolie removal, and I can use them on a dirty horse and haven't had problems, but they don't work on the tight spots, so have different clippers for that.

We use them like Chandab describes. In the spring when the coat is like sheep's' wool it makes things go faster and saves the wear and tear on the fine clippers. The lighter weight clippers clean up the corners and legs, face, ears.

Yes, Tremor, those are the ones, yes, we used them for our arabs back in the day. They are heavy and I don't like them at all. Haven't seen that type in yrs.

I use mine for the first clip of the season. Great for getting through the fuzziest of minis!! But yes it feels like my arm will fall off after about 5 minis. It takes forever for the blades to get hot BTW. I can body clip one horse then dip the blades in blade wash then re-oil and ready for the next one.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a set, and use them for first clip of season. Proper adjustment is: back off tension until blade chatters then tighten till they quiet down, then make slight ajustments from there until you get what you want. And you can over tighten them.

Latest posts

Back