Opinions on Mare/Situation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually after 120 days, blood tests start giving false results. We did a mare at 300 days that we KNEW was in foal and it came back negative. For LOLz, my vet also did one on my gelding- guess what? He's in foal! LOL! It's very possble, depending on the ultrasound done (transabdominal or rectal) that the foal might have been in a "pocket" out of view.

She sure looks like she's in foal, though.

Take 15 minutes out of your morning and go hug a horse
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

Joy

She sure looks like she might be. My vet was wrong on a couple of ultrasounds, said they were open and they were settled. I personally think feeling for movement is best, I never had a mare over 6 months that I couldn't feel movement. I would always wait until after their nightly GroNWin before I checked them, it was a nightly routine and the mares enjoyed the attention!
default_smile.png

I had all 3 of my mares USed a year ago September. I got 2 in foal and one not. I didn't get any foals. Have not tried wee foal or blood draw.

Have Bonnie talk to the ole gal....
default_biggrin.png
I'm getting out the champagne glasses just in case. Looks like a toast may be in order.

Either way, she may tell Bonnie something you need to know. Keep us updated!
default_wub.png

She looks super preggers to me. But my Image looks pretty much the same year round. LOL

The weefoal test is not as hard to do as it sounds. The first mare I put in a stall and waited nearby with a cup. For 3 HOURS!!! The next one I just tied up and taped a maxi pad to her. Went back and checked 30 minutes later and had my sample!

I'd say take some time, go hug her... If you can't feel anything, get Bonnie to talk to her!
default_smile.png
I do believe that congratulations are in order though!

I know I can get a vet out that can draw blood, so was wondering if anyone has any luck or thoughts on going that route????
Last year we had our three mares bloodtested and they all came back positive for being in foal. The one that had the higher numbers, and looked to be the heaviest in foal all winter, ended up with no baby come spring. This year we are hoping for 5 foals and decided not to spend the money on pregnancy checking as it didn't prove to be accurate and wouldn't change our routine either way and would only cause disappointment next spring if we got false positives!

I do agree with everyone else that she does look to be in foal but they can fool us! I swear that I saw the foal kicking in our mare that wasn't in foal!

There is a certain time period that blood testing is accurate. Outside of that time period and it doesn't work. If you know how far along the mare is you can ask your vet if they know what the best time for a blood test is (I can't remember) to see if it's an option.

I have a couple of mares who retain water when it gets colder and I start feeding a little extra. When they retain water, they look like they're ready to explode and have twins even when they haven't been exposed to a stallion. I can usually tell if it's baby or not by standing behind them and looking at the bulges. If they're lopsided, baby! If they're even, it's still a toss up. Then I try to do the feel tests. Most of my older mares are really unappreciative of that method though. The nice ones give me dirty looks, the others let me know they don't like it in other not so nice ways. Thank goodness I like surprises...

Praying for a beautiful healthy foal for you
default_smile.png

See if your veterinarian can palpate her. She looks so far along that that would be an easy thing to do. They can also do an exterior ultrasound and not have to go inside.

She sure looks pregnant to me. I would be moving on getting your foaling stall together, or getting her to someone that is set up to foal out for you.

She looks super preggers to me. But my Image looks pretty much the same year round. LOL

The weefoal test is not as hard to do as it sounds. The first mare I put in a stall and waited nearby with a cup. For 3 HOURS!!! The next one I just tied up and taped a maxi pad to her. Went back and checked 30 minutes later and had my sample!
I agree. The WeeFoal was quite easy! I used duck tape (it's good for everything, right?!!) and taped a thin sanitary pad just under her vulva. Took the mare to a stall, while the rest of her 'friends' went to the field. Either because she was upset about being left behind, or because of the shavings, she peed right away. Just squeeze the urine out of the pad into a container. You only need two drops!!

Pam

If you have straw just put down a clean bed. Even my dogs pee in clean straw! Only takes a minute...

I want to see pictures of the wee little one!! Hope she stays warm during the winter!! Good luck with the two, I hope everything turns out great
default_smile.png

Ok, if she is not pg. I will eat another turkey AND a ham and five pies!! She is huge and looks to be due soon. I certainly hope the stallion owner (who appears is not trained in reading ultra sounds) has put her on their stallion report and with the proper dates!

How does her bag look? I would keep an eye on that and the rest of the signs- her vulva, how loose she gets, etc... to try to determine approximately when she will be due.

Hope all goes well for you and no foaling problems!

One of the mares I bought in the past.. was US twice and I was told in no way was she is foal. Then 6 months later.. out pops a Silver Bay appy colt.

I don't trust US on mini horses.

You could also just sit out there when she is eating and put a hand on her belly...soon or later.. you may feel a hoof and it is hard to mistake that for anything else.
default_wink.png

Never used Wee Foal test. I'd watch her bag, though....and the other signs.

Thanks for all the opinions. Guess I'm going to try the WeeFoal route.

If she is pregnant, and I do believe it's IF, she's got a few months still. She gets as big as a freakin house when she's close. I have a picture of her last pregnancy that I'll post. She has no bag whatsoever and I'm terrible at seeing/feeling movement. I *think* I see movement when she's eating, but I don't trust myself.

She is on the stallion report and I know USs can be tricky to read, so I know it's easy to mistake one.

Here she is as 328 days with her 2007 foal:

butter328days2.jpg

Here she is with the same foal, very early on in the pregnancy:

buttercupleftside2a.jpg

Latest posts

Back