Open shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
When I got Domingo I planned to strictly show at rated shows. I was tired of the open shows I showed at before, there were never any minis, and I would only get to show halter and showmanship against large horses. It was really never any fun. A few weeks ago the barn owner where I keep my horses told me there was a show she was going to, and they offered a few mini classes, and asked if I wanted to go. I told my hubby that "Why not go, its only an open show, it doesn't even matter, and it will be good practice" and went on about how I would much rather pay $5 a class to practice than $25 a class. Well, the show ended up offering miniature halter, split as junior and senior horses, miniature showmanship, miniature pleasure driving, miniature hunter, and miniature halter obstacle. We got to the show and I didn't really expect there to be any other minis there, but sure enough, most classes had at least 6 horses in them, some a few more. I think the driving classes were a little smaller, maybe 4 horses. Anyway, everyone was very helpful, and friendly, and it was a relaxed, drama free atmosphere. I was able to concentrate on showing my horse, and not my nerves. I am still fairly new to showing the minis, and I took a 2 year break from showing, so I was very rusty this year at our first show. Heck, I was downright embarrassed. This show went a lot better for us. I figured out what routine my horse needs to be in at a show to get him to show his best, and found out that he actually shows better on the second day.

Saturday he placed:

3rd in halter

5th in showmanship (which i've never tried with him, and haven't shown in since around 2005, I just wanted practice in the ring before halter, lol)

1st in hunter

Sunday he placed:

1st in halter

3rd in showmanship

1st in hunter

He ended up getting high point in hunter, and got some ribbons, cups, and engraved classes for his high point award.

I just wanted to remind everyone of how stress free fun can be had at a open show, and how cheap it is to do for practice. There was an exhibitor potluck dinner, they had a costume class, and even a doggie obstacle class for the exhibitors who brought their dogs. I now learned how to show my horse to his best, and if this had been an AMHR show, would have cost me around $230, instead I spend about $65, and that included a nice stall for the weekend, and we only had to drive an hour. Luckily, they have about 4 more shows this summer, and I think i'm going to join the club that puts on the shows. I think it will be a great, fun, affordable way to get in the ring practice against the tough AMHR competition. Dont toss the idea beacuse it's "Just an open show and dosent mean anything" because it was really a great time.

365881787.jpg

Heres our senior halter class today, I was happy he was standing still, setup, being a good boy, despite the fact that there was a loose horse in the arena (you cant see it in the picture though) Domingo is the last horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mydaddysjag, Welcome to the open shows! Your are so correct. When I am not showing in the rated shows I hit the open shows. So needless to say I am somewhere just about every weekend from May to October. I wish you were closer to me in Ohio we have a show 2 times a year that offers about 8-10 classes for minis. Using the open shows is a good way to start showing or to "practice". And its amazing how much attention and opportunities there are at an open show to spotlight Minis. Its a great way to meet people and do a little good advertising for the miniature breed!

Also CONGRATULATIONS on your placings!
default_saludando.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Depending where you live i know there are a few in nh, ct, and ma. my first one was in ct. it was about 1 1/2 hours. i plan on attending some bar shows in nh which will be 1 1/2 - 2 hours for me. also we have convinced someone in ma to add some mini classes at there open shows. if you are interested pm me for more details if they arent too far from you!

Congratulations! I was wondering how you were doing with your new guy.

Unless you own and show Tennessee Walking Horses, Racking Horses, or Spotted Saddle Horses, all of the shows in or near my area of Kentucky (I am not from here!) are open, fun, or county fair shows. I showed my Quarter Horse mare for a couple of years and I have an entire room full of ribbons, trophies, and high-point awards. I cherish each and every one of them and the memories that are attached to them; they are just as important to me as my Class A or rated ribbons, trophies, and awards are. There used to be and may still be quite a few open, fun, and county fair shows in or near my area that payback. I won so much money with my Quarter Horse mare. One year I ended the show season with more money than I had to spent on entry fees or gas and since I already had all of my show gear (apparel, tack, clippers, etc.) I made a profit on showing that year. Great fun!

Congrats he looks really good! I used to show open shows with the minis when I still lived with my parents since they were closer but I never had mini competition either although it was really fun when I beat all the bigger ponies except people got really mad about it lol apparently they didnt see how a mini could possibly beat their horses!

We have a great club over here, Gulf Coast Quarter Horse Assn, and they now offer mini classes, and sometimes mare classes will have 8-10 mares, sometimes more. We go Mares, Stallions, usually 3-4, Geldings, maybe 3-4, and grand and reserve( overall) in halter.

There are plans in the works for an exhibition, to show the QH people what minis can do.

We always have a lot of fun, and I might add that my stallion went reserve Champion this time, Cross Country Sharp Dressed Man. I friend and I always have our sold minis, and new owners out there competing against each other. One time mine will win, other times hers will. It is a lot of fun to see , and participate.

Anyone who wants information, just e-mail me, and I will give you the info.

Don't ever underestimate the possitive power of an open show. Lots of people get the wrong idea about them and right them off as dinky or no real competition. Wrong. We used to show our Quarter Horses and ponies out of our trailers at many open shows all the time. They were highly competitive, fun, and affordable. Lots of time they were more fun than the rated shows. Not nerve racking at all. You knew everyone and were friends with everyone and the atmosphere was laid back but once in the ring it was still game on. We always brought our green horses and green riders there for starters to get a little seasoning and exposure too. A great time for all.
default_saludando.gif

Congratulations!!! Isn't it great when you can show and relax and just have fun? Nice job!!!

Yes, we went to the foothills show at crooked creek. I'm planning to go to their shows at Dayton too on weekends that there aren't Rated shows.

That is where we first started before going to the rated shows, we actually had more miniatures attend than the big horses in their classes, the only thing that got us that you were there all day with the miniature classes being mixed in with the big horse classes and had to wait all day till the end for obstacle.

We had fun and met alot of good people there and they had regular quarter horse judges that really didn't know alot about the "miniature" horse back then when we went, but I am sure things have changed since miniatures are getting more popular. Most of the people that were actually involved with the club are not there anymore and back then, we did go by the AMHR rules and I don't think they do now for their open fun shows.

Its a good practice to get your horse use to the ring and yourself setting your horse up with out paying out the more expensive classes.

We also showed at Dayton Fairgrounds and the club ran for points and a end of the year awards banquet with very nice prizes given. We still have our jackets, chairs and glasses that we were awarded back then.

Always a great time with the open fun shows, less stress.
default_smile.png
and alot of good laughs with great people even though it was time to get serious once you were in the ring. Scott and myself were always competing against each other in the ring in halter class, sometime he placed over me and sometimes it was the other way around, there was quite of few people that were husband and wife showing together there with the miniatures, and was interesting to see where you placed against each other. We did have fun with everyone there and the big horses were always afraid of the mini's, especially when you were in the cart going by them.

Jumping class was a real good one with everyone running out of breath, we all did 12 rounds one time for placing first but boy ....was I ever pooped out and was alot younger than now and there wasn't too many youngsters there either with miniature horses, just us middle aged people.

Foothills is a great club for sure and there was not much shade at those places either to get out of the heat. We were members for many years and have made alot good friends there and memories .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back