Open Exhibitor Card

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think many of you are misunderstanding the rule. ONLY those that do not qualify for a youth or amateur card must purchase the open card. So ANYONE that holds a current youth or amateur card may show in open classes WITHOUT purchasing an open card.

For example, at this years world show, I showed in an open class without an open card. I could do so because I have an amateur card.

Gary
Not missing the point or misunderstanding the rule at all. IMO it is worse than foolish to have to purchase an amateur card one doesn't want or need just to avoid paying the higher fee for an open card.

Quite frankly it would make more sense to me to have to buy a card (what would amount to a showing "license" in that case) for each division one wants to show in! Want to show open? Buy an open card, even if you have an ammy card. The ammy card is an extra, entitling one to show in a division that pro trainers cannot enter. Talking fair? Why should a youth get to show open for a the price of a reduced youth membership/card?

While it won't affect me at all, I don't find it fair. Youth pay one time for a card that is good for their entire time in youth, its $10. Amateurs pay yearly for an ammy card that is $10. Amateur and youth also get the benifit of showing in youth and amateur classes while trainers can not and those classes cost money for awards including if the show offers amateur or youth supremes. A trainer or someone not holding an ammy or youth card can only show in open classes while the amatures and youth can also show in those. I just don't understand the logic of making someone pay over twice the amount for an open card ($25 a year) yet get no benifits for having it. It doesn't allow them to show in more classes like the amateur and youth cards do. As long as you hold a current membership card for an association, you should be allowed to show in their open classes.
I guess one way of looking at it is amateurs and youth don't make a living showing in open classes....

Last edited by a moderator:
To the above post-It's not ALL trainers that show in just open. Plus that $25 isn't going to come out of trainers pockets, it's going to come out of their clients pockets.

Sorry guys, I'll leave this one alone now...

I was at Convention and don't remember voting on this....

I guess what bothers me about this is that it discourages newcomers from dipping their toe in the mini show world. Yes, for this past year it was only Championship shows that required the card. And I do agree that if you're going to show at Worlds, you should be a member. There are many benefits that come from showing at Worlds, and if you're showing on that level, you're committed to showing. But, what if this leaks out into the local shows? I have a friend that used to do Quarter Horses and misses showing. So, for her to come to a local show and try out showing with one of my horses to see if she likes it, she'd be required to get a membership and either an Ammy or Open card. That's a minimum of $75, not counting entries, etc. That's a lot of money to spend on a "test drive."

I figure what happened is that they figured a few people (ie, trainers) needed to be "punished" for not showing as members, and now everyone else has to pay for it.

Like I said before, I posed the question to the AMHA office. Kristy said she would ask the board when they hold their December meeting which I believe is this weekend. I'll let you know what she finds out.

Not a punishment to the trainers for not being members as they have to be members to show at the Championship and World shows.

The fees paid for those cards are used to fund the show programs for those divisions. The open division was basically unfunded, so the option of asking those who show to help pay for the programs made the most sense vs raising the fees for membership in general since the majority of our members do not show and it was felt they shouldn't have the financial burden of financing programs they would never benefit from.

Folks, if you want your opinions heard call or email your directors this week so they know how you feel.

Since very few people do this, you will be heard as a majority since most members don't talk to their directors.

They are operating blind on your behalf because you choose to remain silent to them and then complain about any outcomes.

I was on the board 6 years and was contacted by members very few times, and most of them were members from other regions.

If you don't complain or compliment then the directors have to assume you are happy with what goes on. I know I am not a mind reader, and neither are they. Very few of them get on this forum so don't think you are communicating with them by posting your thoughts here.

AMHA is a non profit but it does need to be self supporting so if you have any idea of how to be self supporting without charging money, have at it.

Folks, if you want your opinions heard call or email your directors this week so they know how you feel.Since very few people do this, you will be heard as a majority since most members don't talk to their directors.

They are operating blind on your behalf because you choose to remain silent to them and then complain about any outcomes.

I was on the board 6 years and was contacted by members very few times, and most of them were members from other regions.

If you don't complain or compliment then the directors have to assume you are happy with what goes on. I know I am not a mind reader, and neither are they. Very few of them get on this forum so don't think you are communicating with them by posting your thoughts here.

AMHA is a non profit but it does need to be self supporting so if you have any idea of how to be self supporting without charging money, have at it.
Jody I have watched you post that for years and it still amazes me that people wont take the time to do it. If an issue is really important make your voice heard to your directors!! If you dont want to call use email
default_smile.png

Kay

I too would encourage people to contact their directors. The minutes for the meetings and those present are posted on the AMHA web site. They are not hiding from their decisions. I know that the people that choose to accept the position as a director spend a great deal of their time and their own resources to participate. Being a leader isn't always easy and I commend them for taking on the burden.

However, I do hope that most of the directors are not making their decisions "blind" to the opinions of the membership. They have responsibilities as a representative to their members to stay in touch with the member's needs and feelings as the duty to stay "in touch" comes with the acceptance of the position. If they aren’t " in touch "they shouldn't be in a position to make those decisions until they are. I would agree that they can not read our minds and that members should be contacting our directors and voicing their opinions but it should be a two way street. In this day and age the availability to communicate with the general membership about impending issues takes just a few moments to type an e-mail or make a phone call. I am not sure this particular rule was "posted" before the meeting where it was passed. If there was prior notice, whom did our directors consult before making the decision? Are proposed rule changes posted so that input can be obtained from the membership prior to the director's meetings? I just check the Web page and I could not find any agenda or list of topics for the upcoming December meeting.

One thing for sure, posting on this list won't change what has been done. That can only be done by having enough members willing to voice their concerns to more than one board member. Then hope they hear what is being said and not what they want to hear.

Ron

The December meeting isn't for any rule changes, you can find the process defined quite well in the rule book. This meeting covers administrative issues, to get updates on the state of finances, plans for the following year.

By operating blind, I mean that the directors can only go on what they hear from those they do hear from and talk to but that is mostly at shows. I would have been happy to set up an email list but you know, it does take effort from the membership for that as you cannot expect each director to spend hours and hours assembling an email list.

I am sure it would be discouraged though as unless you are a perfect communicator and write things so they cannot be misinterpereted you can get into legal issues from folks who choose to interperet what is written in the wrong way. When I was on the board it was strongly suggested that we do not write newsletters for that reason.

What we do in our club is have the current directors give an update at every meeting so there can be a 2 way conversation to make sure people understand what was said. You cannot expect each director to call EVERY person in their region, that would be beyond a full time job and terribly expensive.

So, I have to throw the responsibility back to you guys. If you want two way communication, initiate it and let your directors know you appreciate what they do. It was the most expensive and thankless unpaid job I have ever had and I rarely heard anything positive other than from a few people on this forum. Most of the time when I tried to communicate on issues on this forum I was bashed and flamed until I finally gave up and started counting the days until I was off the board. Problem is, I still can't seem to turn my back when an organization I have put so much time and work into is misunderstood and bashed. Mostly treated like the bad guys.

I have to say, and this is my personal opinion only that you chose to own and love miniature horses. You chose to register those horses. You chose to show those horses. You chose to join the organizations. The rules and costs are part of the price to pay and nobody is forcing you to pay or participate. Stop damming the registries for charging money for their services, they are non profits, but they do have to meet expenses or they cannot continue to exist. If you don't like that, choose to stop owning, showing, breeding, whatever with registered horses.

So, I have to throw the responsibility back to you guys. If you want two way communication, initiate it and let your directors know you appreciate what they do.
And that goes for both registries. You have to actually speak to directors things still might not go according to the way you wanted them to but at least you gave your voice. A directors job is to do what they see best for the registry as well as represent the majority in their area. If only 2 or 3 talk to them about issues from their area then well that is the majority

It is up to members to get involved

Back