Open Exhibitor Card

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In today's economic climate, from a business perspective, organizations should be doing everything possible to encourage participation.

I was not at the meeting when this topic was brought up - but suspect the conversation may have started when an amateur questioned - "Hey, why do we have to pay for an amateur card and trainers do not have to pay to show?" "Trainers should have to pay something for the privilage to show just like we do." Then without much thought as to how this additional fee would be viewed by the "general membership public" including all of the "non-trainers" who may not qualify for amateur status or simply may not want to show in amateur, it was voted on and passed.

Although $25.00 is not a huge amount it is symbolic and has unintended consequences.

And if I am understanding the discussion correctly this additional fee is only going to be charged to those non amateur card holders exhibiting at the World show and Regional shows? So if that is true, I'm assuming in the spirit of fairness that the Amateur fee would not be charged either throughout the year except at the World show and Regional Shows?

I'm not sure how much revenue this extra fee will generate for the organization, but it sure does not encourage new exhibitors and somehow as others have said, based on the economic climate the timing could not be worse. And I'm a lifetime AMHA member for almost 2 decades.

I have not shown AMHA for a couple of years at least now.... and this is news to me too. Also, I chose to show in the open classes, as do a LOT of people here that are not trainers, so no, this is NOT just affecting the trainers. So this means I need to pick a category and buy a card for one or two A shows a year?

So you have to pay for cards on top of an arena fee, AMHA fees, etc..... this is getting rather costly and I agree, is NOT going to encourage people to show- the expense already has turned some away here but this will just have more drop out.

When the registry is trying to hang on to membership and increase income, I dont think this is the way to do it by any means. Why should ANY cards cost anything in my opinion? Everyone is still paying the same fees, membership to the registries, etc..... so perhaps a category should be picked and what you sign up for that year is it...... no fees. Increase the AMHA fee per horse one dollar- that would make up for it and not have to impact people so much.

Most of the registries income is from membership fees and adding more and more cost to things in today's economy is not a way to hang on to members.

I and buy a card for one or two A shows a year?
I believe it was said in this thread that the fee was ONLY for a Championship or World show not for your local shows.

Ahhh but Lisa, that IS only 1 or 2 shows a year that the card is needed ;)

I wonder how many people out there show locally and have their horses qualify for worlds, but cannot afford to go, especially when our economy is the way it is right now. This unnecessary expense just adds to that.

I have not shown AMHA for a couple of years at least now.... and this is news to me too. Also, I chose to show in the open classes, as do a LOT of people here that are not trainers, so no, this is NOT just affecting the trainers. So this means I need to pick a category and buy a card for one or two A shows a year?
Once again, If you are an amateur and show in open classes you do not need an open card. The open card is only for those that are not amateurs or youth.So the only ones needing the open card are professionals. To me the small charge for the card, spread across an entire show string, should hardly be noticed by the trainer or his clients.

Gary

Ahhh but Lisa, that IS only 1 or 2 shows a year that the card is needed ;)

I wonder how many people out there show locally and have their horses qualify for worlds, but cannot afford to go, especially when our economy is the way it is right now. This unnecessary expense just adds to that.
True lol I thought HG farm was talking about a couple of local shows. Never been to worlds but have been several years to Nationals and it is very expensive by the time you qualify- health papers- travel- hotel all that stuff but honestly if I was going and not showing in ammy the 25 buck card would not hold me back personally. But that is just me I do see both sides but do not think 25 bucks will deter anyone from choosing to go to the world show but hey maybe I am wrong I guess I can only say it surely would not deter me

No, $25 isn't that big of a deal when you look at the whole picture (an expensive one!) but as a person that will be beginning to show next year and would like to go to worlds one day, it's an expense that just doesn't make sense. For me, every penny counts.

Gary, HG was saying she only shows in open. It does not ONLY affect professionals. So once again, there are many people who show in just open and not amateur who are not professionals. Also, not everyone who shows horses professionally or puts their horses with a trainer have a large cushion to fall back on. I have friends who have saved up for years to put a horse in training. Every expense is felt by them.

No, $25 isn't that big of a deal when you look at the whole picture (an expensive one!) but as a person that will be beginning to show next year and would like to go to worlds one day, it's an expense that just doesn't make sense. For me, every penny counts.

Gary, HG was saying she only shows in open. It does not ONLY affect professionals. So once again, there are many people who show in just open and not amateur who are not professionals. Also, not everyone who shows horses professionally or puts their horses with a trainer have a large cushion to fall back on. I have friends who have saved up for years to put a horse in training. Every expense is felt by them.

Sorry about the double post!

I'm on my phone so can't fix it

Gary, HG was saying she only shows in open. It does not ONLY affect professionals.
I think many of you are misunderstanding the rule. ONLY those that do not qualify for a youth or amateur card must purchase the open card. So ANYONE that holds a current youth or amateur card may show in open classes WITHOUT purchasing an open card.

For example, at this years world show, I showed in an open class without an open card. I could do so because I have an amateur card.

Gary

But there are people that might be professional in other areas of the horse world but show minis as a hobby. They would not be elibible for an amateur card in AMHA so would have to pay for an open card. Nothing is always cut and dry. I understand the association needs to make money and if the Finance committee wants to charge trainers for being paid to show horses, then charge trainers $25 for the whole year of showing instead of everyone who doesn't have paying clients and have to foot the bill by themselves. If trainers are fine with it them make it a trainers card not an open card.

I was not at the meeting where this rule change occurred so it's hard for me to know all the details that were discussed. I'm not a fan of the fee as it stands, but I do think I know what may have led to it. In other associations that I showed under, USEF for example, you had to be a member in order to show. In AMHA, however, I believe you only have to be a member to register a horse or do horse related paperwork with them. I know of a few trainers who have no horses registered in their names and are able to show at AMHA shows without paying AMHA anything. I believe this may have been a reason for implementing the fee.

I feel a better solution would be to require every exhibitor to be a member in some way - regular, life, and youth. Amateur cards are usually a bit extra in most associations.

Gary, I believe I'm understanding just fine. I do not show in amateur, even though I am considered one. There are many people who do not show in amateur even though they're considered one. Those people now have to either pay for an amateur card (though they don't show in it) or pay for the open card. I believe that if you pay for a membership then you should get to show in the open classes. Now if there really are trainers that do not have a membership card, that's a different story. They should have to pay for a membership.

If you wanted to make this fair, then youth showing open would pay both the youth and open fees. Amateurs showing both amateur and open would pay both fees also. That would make everyone pay in all the areas they wanted to show. This would mostly affect the amateurs because most parents would pay for the youth's additional cost. Besides it would only be an additional $25.00 for both the youth or the amateurs. Not enough to worry anyone right?

I find it interesting that the rules only require the exhibitors to show a registered horse until they go to Regional or

Worlds then exhibitors must be a member to show. Amateur cards cost more for non-members but youth cards appear to be the same for cost for both members and non-members. I didn't read the whole rule book this time so I may have missed something. Please feel free to chime in if I misread something.

What ever happened to that rule about measuring? Can this go away like that one?

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Any

person (owner or owners, amateurs, youth, trainers) that is

showing at an AMHA Championship or World Show must be

an AMHA member in good standing. You must be an AMHA

member for your horse to earn AMHA points.

If you want to only show at a few local shows next year and you don't want to show at a Championship show or the World show, you don't even need a membership card. If you look on most entry forms for local shows, they never ask for AMHA membership numbers, just the youth or amateur numbers. So unless you are going for Honor Roll and need the points to add up, you can show without any cards.

Remember, AMHA no longer has non-member prices. You must be a member to get an Amateur card.

I believe Jodi said that the Open card was in effect for the 2010 World Championship shows. No word on 2011 yet.

On the work order, which I just downloaded from the AMHA web site this week, there is a column for purchasing a NON-MEMBER Amateur card, so it looks like you don't have to be a member to show as an amateur in a regular AMHA show. It is $50.00. Maybe they just haven't updated the work order yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from the current Amateur application that is online now.

I understand and agree to the following:

1. All Amateurs are responsible for knowing and abiding by the Amateur Division rules

(see AM-000 in the current AMHA Official Rule Book). Any person who violates an

established amateur rule shall be subject to disciplinary action.

2. Current AMHA Members shall submit ten U.S. dollars ($10.00) for an Amateur card.

3. Non-Members shall submit fifty U.S. dollars ($50.00) for an Amateur card.

4. All Amateur cards expire on December 31st and must be renewed each year to

continue showing in Amateur classes. (application/renewal forms are also available at

your local AMHA show)

As for this topic, nothing is going to change it. If it was only for 2010 then its over with now. If its for all years to follow, oh well I guess everyone opposed to it will have to go to the annual meeting and change it. I am a Life Member, I always keep my amateur card up to date as well as Samantha's even though we don't show AMHA right now. While I don't agree with the open card fee, it really doesn't affect me at all.

As for this topic, nothing is going to change it. If it was only for 2010 then its over with now. If its for all years to follow, oh well I guess everyone opposed to it will have to go to the annual meeting and change it.
As written it became effective May 1, 2010. There is nothing that would suggest that it would be for the 2010 show season only. It was passed unanimously at the February 21, 2010 board meeting.

Gary

Actually, this was proposed by members, not the office or BOD or executive committee, and was voted on and passed by the membership.
Open Showing Card

The Finance Committee is recommending an Open Card for exhibitors to show at

an AMHA Championship or World Show. You must be an AMHA member and if

you do not have an Amateur or Youth Card, you must have an Open Card. The

card is $25 for a calendar year.

Larry Elniff made the following motion: Effective May 1, 2010, all handlers must

be AMHA members, as well as have an Open card. Implement an Open Show

Card at a cost of $25 for anyone who does not have an Amateur or Youth card

for anyone showing at an AMHA Championship or World Show. Bob Padula

seconded. Passed unanimously.

Looks like the Finance Committee had a lot to do with this.

Latest posts

Back