Open Exhibitor Card

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Reaction score
I have never shown in AMHA before, but thought about doing it this coming year, so when I was filling out the work order form to renew my membership, I was going to get the amateur card and then noticed the Open Exhibitor Card fee for $25.00. Does anyone who wants to show in an open class need to get this or just those going for points?

So many fees seem to be adding up quite rapidly. Thanks for any eplaination.

Trying to level the playing field a bit so you have either a youth card, ammy card, or open card. Not sure if it is expanded yet, but the open card was for only championship and world shows. If you have an ammy card you don't need an open card to show in open, just the one card will do.

Why in the world do you need an open card? Or are they calling this open instead of the membership card? If this is another card then hello, open means open to anyone.

The complaint was that youth and amateurs have to pay for cards to show their divisions and the trainers did not. Really, this is mostly impacting the trainers, most of whom had no objection to the cards.

If you have a youth or ammy card, you can show open, you don't have to pay for yet another card.

How does it only affect trainers?

I had always assumed that the reason there was a cost to get a youth or ammy card was to add to the payouts when they show. I am definitely not a fan of making people pay for an open card to show along with their membership cards.

I think it is a pretty interesting idea. I kinda like it. Why should only youth and Ammy have to pay for cards? (although the youth card is free in AMHR)

If your youth or ammy card will get you in the open classes then those who show in the open should pay for a card as well.

Trainers are paid to show so a 25 buck fee for a card should not be a huge deal. And again those already showing on a ammy or youth card would not need an additional open one is my understanding.

Folks were complaining because they had to pay for an amateur card or youth card and trainers didn't have to pay for any card. So it was decided to implement the "Open" card. It's MOSTLY trainers being affected, but some folks who show open but don't show ammy will have to pay the fee.

While it won't affect me at all, I don't find it fair. Youth pay one time for a card that is good for their entire time in youth, its $10. Amateurs pay yearly for an ammy card that is $10. Amateur and youth also get the benifit of showing in youth and amateur classes while trainers can not and those classes cost money for awards including if the show offers amateur or youth supremes. A trainer or someone not holding an ammy or youth card can only show in open classes while the amatures and youth can also show in those. I just don't understand the logic of making someone pay over twice the amount for an open card ($25 a year) yet get no benifits for having it. It doesn't allow them to show in more classes like the amateur and youth cards do. As long as you hold a current membership card for an association, you should be allowed to show in their open classes.

While it won't affect me at all, I don't find it fair. Youth pay one time for a card that is good for their entire time in youth, its $10. Amateurs pay yearly for an ammy card that is $10. Amateur and youth also get the benifit of showing in youth and amateur classes while trainers can not and those classes cost money for awards including if the show offers amateur or youth supremes. A trainer or someone not holding an ammy or youth card can only show in open classes while the amatures and youth can also show in those. I just don't understand the logic of making someone pay over twice the amount for an open card ($25 a year) yet get no benifits for having it. It doesn't allow them to show in more classes like the amateur and youth cards do. As long as you hold a current membership card for an association, you should be allowed to show in their open classes.

Well said. I also dont get affected by it but find it extremely unfair and unnecessary.

Yes, but the trainers are being PAID to be there! Plus there are the same type (typically) awards for open classes. The lion's share of the profits for a show come from the youth/amateurs exhibitors. So I am all for those who show open ONLY to pay part of their awards too.

It affects ME who will not be showing in amateur or youth next year. I will not be getting paid for what I do. And the youth and amateurs definitely get more payouts than open.

So the people who show their own horses are the ones affected. Good to know that I will have to pay the extra fee so that trainers (who I know don't make enough after feed, time spent training, supplies, taxes, etc.) are closer to not making any profit.

Sorry, not a fan of this, even if it is just a $25 a year fee. With the economy the way it is and me being in college trying to support myself already, just ANOTHER expense that keeps me from the shows.

Not sure what the rule is for next year, but this year you only needed the open card if you wanted to show at the World Show, can't remember if that applied to the championship shows or not. I'll contact the office and ask and will let you know what I find out.

Jody, I'm not sure about next year (2011) either, but for this year the open cards applied to the Championship shows and the World show only.

It affects ME who will not be showing in amateur or youth next year. I will not be getting paid for what I do. And the youth and amateurs definitely get more payouts than open.

So the people who show their own horses are the ones affected. Good to know that I will have to pay the extra fee so that trainers (who I know don't make enough after feed, time spent training, supplies, taxes, etc.) are closer to not making any profit.

Sorry, not a fan of this, even if it is just a $25 a year fee. With the economy the way it is and me being in college trying to support myself already, just ANOTHER expense that keeps me from the shows.

If you are not a professional, you do not need the open card, even though you show in open classes. Just purchase the ammy card. The open card is for those that do not qualify for a youth or amateur card.

If you are not a professional, you do not need the open card, even though you show in open classes. Just purchase the ammy card. The open card is for those that do not qualify for a youth or amateur card
I would still have to pay for the amateur card though.

I guess I won't worry about it as the plan is to only show locally next year

I see the rational for the additional fees for an open card as a pitiful attempt to rationalize the need to find an additional funding source for the organization. This is an example of what happens when the leadership of an organization loses touch with the true feelings of the membership. They seem to think that the trainer doesn't care about a few bucks more because that cost will be passed on to the owners. No big deal, everyone can afford 25 dollars. Sure it is less than the cost of a carton of cigarettes and slightly more than a dinner at our local restaurant and certainly a great deal less than a good bottle of Scotch. As I see it, it is not about the money so much as the principle. Why is there a need increase fees on the very people that make or break a show. That would be the owners /amateurs that place their horses in training with trainers and spend all the money for all the fees for the show including youth, amateur, and open. Not to mention the hotel, food, transportation, and other unforeseen expenses that just seems to pop up when showing. What the heck, a few more bucks won't hurt for "Professional training fees" . I also am asking myself what are the true benefits that are provided when I do pay those yearly dues. I get a nice sticker if I ask that declares me a member. I get to pay additional fees for any business I do with the club and now I get to pay more because now I want to show at your shows even though a portion of my entry fees already go towards supporting the organization.

Not all professional trainers show horses for other people. They make money in a way that qualifies them as a professional but do not show outside horses at shows. They don't have a client at the show to pass on the fees.

There are a few folks out there that realize what a horse show cost to any organization. The show management must balance the increase costs of the show against the need to increase the show fees to cover those costs. In many areas there is going to be a need to increase entry fees and other associated costs if the shows are to continue to be viable. Why not a few more dollars to the organization too?

We may be reaching a point where the folks that have unlimited discretionary funds , will continue to show. To them, the expense of shows are a drop in the bucket. Unfortunately, there may be a great many who simple just can't afford to continue and will take there interest and their meager dollars elsewhere.

As I see it,

Ron Whiteman

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't even belong to AMHA, but it sounds like a money making thing. Since every member is eligible to show open, there should be no open card. Amateur and Youth classes are specialty classes that only certain people are allowed to show, so the idea of a small fee for the privilege is understandable.

Actually, this was proposed by members, not the office or BOD or executive committee, and was voted on and passed by the membership.

The membership consisting of the individuals that can afford to attend the meetings may have passed this but the majority of the members had no say. Perhaps it was the same group that voted to change the measuring rule from the last mane hair to the base of the withers? Maybe this rule change ought to go in the same trash can.

Ron

A poorly thought out rule that ends up being nothing more than a money grab.

Youth pay a youth membership fee and nothing else, is that correct? They don't pay a regular membership and then a youth fee on top of that? So in reality they aren't paying "extra" to show--they are simply paying a reduced membership fee.

Ammy...ammy means something extra that is just for ammy exhibitors, so why wouldn't they pay a little something extra to compete in that ammy division? Open being open to all...how foolish to require an ammy card.

There are those who don't qualify as 'ammy' and yet are not professional trainers either. I know several this applies to--people who have taken a friend's horse & for a small fee they train that horse for driving, maybe have done this for 2 or 3 friends. The amount of money they take in is a pittance, really, just enough to disqualify them from ammy status. Yet now if they want to go to Worlds they have to pay $25 for an open card. Dumb.

Latest posts

Back