One of our dogs died from neglect

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone for the kind and supportive words. Little D is so missed by us. Last night was very hard being home here without him. He was always so happy - happy to see us, happy to go outside, happy to come back in, happy to go to bed at night. Just plain happy.

I hope to speak to the vet in person today and see if there are any more details. I've yet to speak to the girl since we got home. I guess I have to do that tonight. I'm not looking forward to it.

Parmela, I am so very for your loss!
default_no.gif
I can't imagine how you felt when you got that call, I would have been devastated. It is very hard to find people you trust to care for you animals, especially the way we do....I have had times where things were not done you can just tell when you get home....makes you never want to leave....
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG---I am so sorry for you and your family. How awful. My heart goes out to you over something like this, you thought the animals were being cared for only to find this out. We just lost our little family pet last Friday so I know how much it hurts. <<hugs>>

OMG! This kind of stuff just blows me away. I really don't know what I would do to this person if it was my dog! I'm so sorry this has happened to your family. (and your sweet little dog
default_no.gif
)

Carol

I had a similar thing happen to me. I went on vacation with my DH and left my home in the care of a trusted house sitter. One of my rat terriers hated the house sitter, though, so my only course of action was to leave her outside in the kennel. She had food, water, and shelter from the heat. But it got way hotter than anyone had expected. When I came home she was lying in the dog house unable to move. I called the house sitter and she said that she'd seemed fine earlier in the morning.

I put my little dog in the tub to try to bring down her temperature. Then I wrapped her in a towel and took her to the vet. Her kidneys had completely failed. Her BUN and creatinine levels were off the charts. The vets didn't think she'd live. I had to drive to the vet's office everytime they had to even change her IV because she'd try to kill them. It took weeks at the vet's office and several more weeks at my house with IVs hanging off my dining room ceiling to save my dog. But we did save her.

I'm sorry to hijack, but I just want you to know that I've been there too. While we didn't lose our Willow, we dang sure nearly did. It is so important for people to realize that heat stroke is very serious and preventative measures need to be taken as much as possible to help those that can't help themselves.

Again, I'm so so sorry for your loss. It is truly tragic.

I am so sorry for the loss of your little one. It is so hard to lose a loved pet, it seems

like it will never be better. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Kim from Georgia

What a HORRIBLE story, and so sorry this happened to you- and others who have been through this. I cannot think of many other miserable ways to die... this makes me sick.

Keep us posted on the news from your vet- and I would present the 'facts' to the girl- and her parents. I would not even know which direction to go from there- it would be VERY difficult, no- impossible for me to go face someone like that, and especially when they lied about it too, and not just beat the **** out of them!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??!!

I am just so sorry... I can't imagine.

I just don't know what to say - I am so sorry for you and for your beloved Diego. All of you deserved better than this...I am just so, so sorry - I can't even imagine going through such a thing...

Liz R.

I am so sorry for your loss Parmela. Gosh I think that is why I just do not go anywhere unless my husband or daughters can care for the animals. I don't have trust and I would never be able to relax. Hugs to you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so very sorry to here of the loss of your little guy. Sometimes you think kids are responsible but then stuff like this happens . I would sure lay into her cause it is very obvious that she sure wasn't doing her job and it cost a life and huge heartbreak

I'm very very sorry about your beloved little guy. He looked like such a sweet boy. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I too had a situation similar to this one. My family and I had gone on vacation for a week or two (it was a few years ago so not sure on exactly how long we were gone), and had left our horses, dogs, puppies, and cats in the care of one of our friends (or what we thought was one). I normally am the one caring for all the animals so I left VERY detailed instructions on the care that each of the animals should recieve. When we came back I was VERY upset at the care that our animals had. The horses were all guanted up and had lost weight, no food or water in their pens. The dogs inside the house were locked in their kennels that they were only supposed to be in at night, they had obviously been in there for a long period of time as they all were soaked in their own urine and poop. They all had lost weight, no food or water in the dishes. One of our Chi's had a litter of pups and they also had no food or water and were soaked in their urine and poop. A few of the pups had died. And the dogs that were outside had no food or water and also had lost weight. The cats didn't have food or water either. We were VERY angry and upset and chewed the lady out and really laid into her, and never again did she come back to our house, I don't think we've spoken to her since. Later we found out from our neighbors that there were nights when she didn't even come home to take care of the animals. From then on we have been even MORE careful about who we let care for our animals. Oftentimes I stay home because I am too afraid that it would happen again or something would happen and I wouldn't be there to do all that I can to save an animal. Last vacation I lost my beloved dog Cuddles, not quite sure what happened, it always seem they leave when I'm gone, one of the reasons why I hate leaving my animals in the care of others.

Again sorry for your loss, I know its hard!
default_no.gif
Prayin' for you.

I am so sorry you lost your little Diego. It is very hard to tell how your animals are cared for when you leave them with others. Even the people you think you can trust. Prayers for your little boy he is sitting with the angels.

God bless

Thank you everyone for your prayers.

I spoke with the vet today. He confirmed his opinion that Diego arrived at the office after being gone for 2-4 hours. He said it was impossible to know if his temp was so high because he suffered from heat stroke or if he died from something else and his body temp was that high because he was laying in the direct sun after he passed.

Tonight I talked to the girl that pet sat for us. Here is her version:

She put the dogs out on ties at 9am on Saturday. Each had water and food. At 1pm she came back to check the waters and she found Diego lying with his eyes and mouth open. His water and food was untouched. She tried to pour some water in his mouth but there was no response. She went home and called her dad. He told her to call us. She did and that's when we told her to bring him indoors while we called the vet. About 20 minutes later she was at the vet and Diego's body temp was 109.5 and his body was stiff. She says his body was limp when she initially found him.

She is taking responsibility for her poor judgement costing Diego his life. She said she didn't think it was that hot and since her dogs are out all day she didn't think it would impact our dogs like that. We discussed the difference between dogs that are used to living outside versus dogs that stay in air conditioning and just go out to potty. She seems truly sorry and I don't think it is something she will soon forget.

It was a stupid, thoughtless decision on her part but I don't think there was any ill intent. Just plain teenage carelessness that resulted in much heartache.

We will not use a teenager again. I know that adults can also show poor judgement, but I guess at 17 she just isn't mature enough for the responsibility she was given. Poor little Diego deserved better than what he got.
default_bye-sad.gif

I am so sorry Parmela, please extend my sympathy to your husband also.... may Diego rest in peace.

That poor girl must feel horrible. I wouldn't want that on my shoulders
default_no.gif
Again, I am so sorry he had to go that way
default_sad.png

Parmella, you are a much better person than me.

I couldn't have held back like you did and that girl is darn lucky you did not let loose on her like I would have. I really hope your discussion with her sunk in.

I cannot tell you again how terribly sorry I am for you and Diego and I really have had you in my thoughts since I first learned about this sad sad senseless tragedy. Big huge hugs (((((( ))))))

Parmela, I was so upset after reading this the other day that I couldn't post. I'm SO sorry about your little Diego. I'm glad he had known the love of your family in his last months. He didn't deserve to go that way. I'm so sorry!

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Latest posts

Back