One of our dogs died from neglect

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

Hi,

I generally only post on the miniature horse and photo forums but I just wanted to share this in the hopes that by me telling what happened it may keep it from happening to someone else.

We hire a neighbor girl (17 yr old) to pet sit our horses and dogs when we go to shows. We've never had a reason to doubt her or be concerned over the level of care our animals were receiving. She even volunteers at the local no-kill shelter and helps my husband on adoption days at Petsmart.

We received a call from her about 1pm on Saturday saying that Diego (a chihuahua mix we adopted from a shelter in January of this year) was sick and not doing well. She said he was outside on a lead and she had checked on them all 30 minutes prior and everyone was fine - including Diego. I finally asked her if he was already gone and she said "I think so." I told her to hose him off in the slight chance that he was still alive to try and lower his body temp in case it was heat stroke. She said she'd already done that. I told her to put him in the car and head to our vets office. I called the vet and explained the details I knew.

She called me as soon as she got to the office (about 20 minutes later) and I heard the vet say something and she said "12 hours! That's not possible!" I don't know for sure what this was about but I can guess. We hung up and the vet called me about 30 minutes later.

He said Diego was gone and had been dead at least 2-3 hours. I asked if he was sure and he said yes. I asked was his internal body temp was and he said "our instruments only register up to 109.5 and it rocketed up there immediately so it was probably much higher."

This girl obviously left our dogs out in the sun for an extended period of time and little Diego didn't survive.

Please, please, please double check on those you have caring for your treasured furry loved ones when you're not around. Arrange to have another friend or relative stop by unannouced to check on things, leave very clear, strict guidelines about how long your pets can be out and how much water they should have.

We loved our Little D.

Diego

He didn't deserve to die laying in the hot sun.

I am so sorry this happened to your little Diego. Thank you for educating people on the effects of leaving our pets outside in the hot sun for extended period of times. My sympathies to you and your family.

I am so sorry for your loss.. I know that is hard.. I always worry about my dogs - we never go away because I am such a nut about not leaving them to someone else -- But we have 3 pomeranians and on days like today where it was in the upper 90s if they are outside 30 minutes they are really panting so I can only imagine how poor Diego was... Rest in Peace Diego.

Oh i am so so sorry about
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Parmella right now as I am reading this I am way too outraged to respond in the way that I would really like to about that girl.

Please accept my deepest condolences. I am so sorry Parmella for the pain you are going through over the loss of precious little Diego. I know how bad you are hurting. I'm just sick about this with you. Sorry sorry sorry. Big huge hugs ((( )))

Our sincere sympathies in the loss of your precious and beloved Diego
default_no.gif
What a senseless tragedy! Have you spoken with the pet sitter? and gotten a truthful story from her? Hopefully she will learn from this sadness. I am so sorry.

I am SO SO sorry this happened. That is so horrible, I don't even know what to say.

If it is any comfot at all, please remember that his last few months of his life after having been adopted by you were probably the best and happiest months of his life. Remember all the happy good times he had and all the love and care and attention that was lavished upon him. He is a little angel now watching over you and your other pets and heknows how much you love and care about him.

I have to say it is sickening to me that this girl was so thoughtless and irresponsible. She is definitely a person that should have known better and in general should have had more sense.

For everybody reading this make sure you spell out in great detail how your want your animals cared for. Even stuff you'd think they would know from common sense. Don't assume anything or take anything for granted.

That is my worst fear as a house- and pet-sitter, that something should happen to one of the pets under my care. I can't IMAGINE how hard it would be to tell the owner that something I had done or not done had resulted in the death or injury of their pet. What a nightmare for all involved.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Leia

That is so sad. Poor Diego.

Good help is hard to find. On another board I'm on, people were telling of how different times they had forgotten to feed horses that they were caring for --either their own or someone else's...I cannot fathom how anyone could possibly forget to feed a horse--it wasn't just a matter of forgetting one horse that was maybe housed away from the others, it was a matter of completely forgetting to go to the barn to feed any of the horses. So, I guess it shouldn't surprise me that someone could tie a dog (or dogs) outside and forget about them.

Since good help is hard to find, we never go away anywhere--there is no one that we trust to look after the animals properly.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Parmela I'm so sorry about the senseless loss of your little one. It's my guess that the "story" about checking on them 30 minutes earlier came about as an attempt to lessen her responsibility and to help with the guilt I'm sure she was feeling....and well she should be.

i'm so sorry for this senseless loss.

the rare times we were away, gary's brother took care of the animals. i know he is responsible but i still worried. i called home often to check on them but i always used another excuse...asked him make sure i turned off the water at the stock tank or asked him to check to make sure i closed the windows in case it rained or tell him to check the mail because i forgot to call the post office to put a stop on it. i didn't want him to think i was "checking up" on him but i always managed to add that little question "how are the critters?"

this girl, obviously, had other things on her mind and now you are suffering for it. there is no excuse good enough.
default_no.gif

default_no.gif
I'm so sorry.
default_no.gif

We "trained" a friend of my daughter's to do chores for us on one overnight away about 7 years ago. I made her come over twice to see how to feed/water a few rabbits and one big horse. She didn't have to clean anything--just feed and water--twice. I came home and the horse's water bucket was empty. I've never left again. Although I do have a person I'd trust now. I hope you can find someone you can trust-so you can leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Parmela, I am so sorry. I was just trying to figure out how I was going to get away next weekend, now I think I'll stay home.

Latest posts

Back