Old horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will be in my thoughts. Thanks for taking such great care of your girl. There just aren't enough people that allow their horse a wonderful and loving retirement.

I am sorry that you are losing your best friend.

Such a loss is never easy..

My thoughts and prayers are with your both.

el

Im soooo sorry. I can relate. I had to put my 29 yr old horse down many years ago he couldnt get up I had him since I was born and parents had him since a yearling. Then just last sept I had to put my Roanie to sleep. He couldnt get up he was 28. It was awful. Both red roan quarters. THen my manx cat disappeard and just a week ago had to put my weiner dog, Slinky to sleep. Ugghhhh

For me, if this were my horse I would say that it is time. I have come to believe that it's better to let them go a little too soon rather than waiting a little too long. When an old horse does not lay down because she knows she cannot get up again, and if she does lay down she is shaking and sweating from the effort it takes to get up again, that tells me that it is time.
ok i only got this far and can't read the rest, can't be bawling my eyes out at work... but i have to say i agree. i still feel bad that i left our old horse so long, but the kids were freaking out on me... so he spent an extra couple of months that were not good at all, until they finally came to grips with it. i wish, no matter how mad they got at me, that i had done what was right for him...

i did feel so much better when it was done and i think you really will too... like you said, some day she will not be able to get up, and then what?

I have a poem at home somewhere, written from the point of view of the horse, i would be happy to share it with you if you want to PM me...

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, if this were my horse I would say that it is time. I have come to believe that it's better to let them go a little too soon rather than waiting a little too long. When an old horse does not lay down because she knows she cannot get up again, and if she does lay down she is shaking and sweating from the effort it takes to get up again, that tells me that it is time.
ok i only got this far and can't read the rest, can't be bawling my eyes out at work... but i have to say i agree. i still feel bad that i left our old horse so long, but the kids were freaking out on me... so he spent an extra couple of months that were not good at all, until they finally came to grips with it. i wish, no matter how mad they got at me, that i had done what was right for him...

i did feel so much better when it was done and i think you really will too... like you said, some day she will not be able to get up, and then what?

I have a poem at home somewhere, written from the point of view of the horse, i would be happy to share it with you if you want to PM me...
Susan, It's so very hard....she's deserves another 32 years of life! She will leave me today.

I'd love to know about the poem. Thank you, [email protected] (Sheila Garcia).

She will leave me today.

Wishing you and your mare peace at this difficult time.

You are in our thoughts! Sometimes we have to take their pain.. she is no longer in pain or suffering and your heart is breaking...... email or call me anytime if you need someone to talk to...

Skyler sends his love and a soft nuzzle.

Latest posts

Back