Oklahoma Fires!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cretahillsgal

Reaction score
I am watching Channel 5 right now and it looks AWFUL! And they can't stop the fires right now because of the 30 mph winds.

Does anybody know if there are any forum members in that area? Right now the Choctaw area seems the worst.

I don't know if Amber Oaks is still around but I think one of the big fires is around them. Very sweet people. I pray they are ok...
default_no.gif

Cross Winds in the Stillwater area has had to evacuate! Pray for them and their horses!

Viki

Oh No! I didn't realise that they had a fire around Stillwater! That is very grassy country and a grass fire there would be devastating!

I am praying hard for everyone who is affected by these fires. Do you know if Jerry & Anna were able to evacuate their horses?

There are 20 major fires burning across Oklahoma right now. The wind is coming down slightly. Maybe that will be good news? Earlier, gusts up to 60 mph!

I just found out that my aunt and uncle are about 1/2 mile from one of the largest of these fires. They live on Reno between Post and Anderson roads. Luckily the winds are blowing the fires AWAY from them. For now.
default_unsure.png

We live in a little mountainous area and it makes the winds do unpredictable things. At our house, the wind clocked 52mph on our anemometer, but 1/2 mile west of us our son had some significant damage. The scariest thing was the metal gate being ripped off its hinges between the stallion's paddock and the paddock with two mares. Luckily, there was also an electric fence between them. Also took the large horse shelter and threw it across the paddock against another fence. The fence held, fortunately. No fires, though, thank God. And no horses hurt.

I don't get the news. Where exactly are all those fires???

I pray for everyone!

We had quite a bit of damage by wind here today.

How is everyone in OK today? Been watching the live news in Okc on computer. I cant believe how bad it is! Praying for everyone. I also talked to my dad last night in Kingfisher and he said it was the only thing on the tv last nite. He is fine no fires near him. Praying for everyone in my Home state! Sheila

Isn't OK City where Theresa and Art go to the hospital???? If so I assume they don't live terribly far away. Anybody know?

There were some school closings down this way, due to fires. I also heard 4 firefighters were hurt in Velma, OK?

Art and Theresa live in Cyril, about an hour west of OKC. There were not any fires in their area that I know of.

My aunt & uncle are fine. But supposedly the fire that started just east of their house has burned over 100 homes. And there were probably 30 more fires in the state besides this one. I am praying that everyone is safe. Luckily I haven't heard of any casualties yet.

I was awake most of the night worrying and imagining that I smelled smoke.
default_smile.png
My house is surrounded by miles and miles of tall dry bluestem grass. If it catches it will go so fast that I know there is no way that I would be able to evacuate myself and all the horses in time.
default_unsure.png

Just talked with Jerry Horn, Crosswinds Farm. they are ok. They Had 2 trucks and trailers hooked and ready to load, but that would still leave 15 horses. Several of us here in OkC would have tried to go up with trailers, but we were too far away and the roads were closed. they weren't letting anyone go into those areas.

Scary. We stayed up untill 11 last night watching the fire reports and praying nothing started around us.

Charlotte

Thank goodness that Jerry and Anna are safe!
default_smile.png
I am in the same position that they are in. I only have one truck and trailer and probably wouldn't be able to get all of my horses on it in one trip.

Just talked with Jerry Horn, Crosswinds Farm. they are ok. They Had 2 trucks and trailers hooked and ready to load, but that would still leave 15 horses. Several of us here in OkC would have tried to go up with trailers, but we were too far away and the roads were closed. they weren't letting anyone go into those areas.
Scary. We stayed up untill 11 last night watching the fire reports and praying nothing started around us.

Charlotte
Charlotte,

Thank you for the update. I was worried about Jerry, Anna, and the horses when I heard about the fires. That was really upsetting to hear they would have had to leave many horses. It makes a person think, who would you leave and who would you take? Now that tornadoes are starting up again you wonder the best way to save the horses since I know that I would try. Yesterday it started to rain and hail while I was moving horses into the barn and I could determine now which ones would be more cooperative in fearful situations. Two yearlings just ran and ran, although they could have gone into a run in shelter, while the three of us were getting hit with hail. I finally got them to calm down enough to come to me, but in case of a fast evacuation time would be of the eccense. Some of them were more than willing to come since they knew I was taking them to the barn, but panic and fear sets in on some horses and they just couldn't be moved quickly.

In the case of the fires, the news yesterday said they had issued at least 100 burn permits around our area for farmers to burn off their properties. One got out of control and two men working for a land owner got caught in the fire with one man loosing his life. We had rain, and actually snow again around midnight, so hopefully things will be wet enough to keep things under control around here.

Please keep us updated. We have a filly in Oklahoma so I am hoping she and those horses are safe, but of course "Prayers are with "all" of you,

Janet

Glad to hear that Jerry and Anna are ok. There is at least one mini horse farm in Choctaw, Okla. I am going to look up there number in the Journal and call them to see if they are ok.

On the news this morning they said the downtown area of Mena Ark. was flattened. They had 3 deaths.

I wish people would check in to let us know they are ok, but some of them may not be able.

Will be praying.

The fire got within one mile of my place on Anderson Road and SE 159th, in the southeast part of OKC. I spent nearly the entire night in the car, sitting at the corner store with about 50 other cars watching the flames just to our north and watching the changing winds. Leesa Conley of Daystar Miniatures is 2 blocks closer to the flames that I am. She and I both had our trailers hooked up, and Davie Killman of Arabesque Acres, bless her heart, had her two trailers hooked up and ready to help us evacuate if it came to that. Fortunately, it didn't.

Lots of people lost their homes or barns, though, in the immediate area. A good friend 3/4 mile straight north of me lost all three of her barns and her garage. They saved her house. One of my training customers, about 3 miles from here, lost the shop building where he kept his 20 some pairs of breeding cockatoos. He and his partner managed to get all the birds and their dogs out but weren't let back in with the trailer to get the ponies. Thank heavens, all of them were safe and his house didn't go up.

I just finished a brief drivethrough of the worst areas near me. Lots of places are burned to the ground and still smouldering. If the winds continue and we don't get rain, some of them will start back up again. The danger isn't over yet, although it is diminished, at least for now.

I pray for all of those who lost their homes, barns, cars, and property. I hope no lives were lost, either human or animal, but I'm sure that some were.

Pat Elder

Rosa Roca Training Stables

Oklahoma City, OK

Back