Oklahoma Fires!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Praise the Lord for good friends! Leesa and I were working horses Friday afternoon. We were smelling smoke, but the wind had shifted and was coming south, and I thought it was just carrying the smoke from the fires of the day before. The first thing we knew, Dustin was pulling up in front of the place telling us we had to evacuate NOW! The fire had rekindled and was heading south fast, directly toward Leesa's place.

He hooked up the big trailer that Davie Killman had left at the next door neighbor's and we all started haltering horses and loading them wherever they would fit. My horses, only 2 blocks south, were the next to load. We had TONS of help and even someone to drive my elderly Mom and sister and the dogs out to safety so I didn't have to try to cram everyone into my truck.

As Davie said, her friend Dustin and his dad, both volunteer firefighters, brought Davie's truck back after the horses were relocated and stayed to water down our house roofs. The fire got with about an 1/8 of a mile from Leesa's before they got it put out.

The horses stayed the night at Bev Gray's, most of them running together in her big pasture. Leesa and I brought the first two loads back Saturday around 11 am, but there were several columns of smoke north of us again. So, before we unloaded, we took a car up to see where the fires were. Luckily, they were over a mile north this time and what little breeze was blowing was coming from the east. It wasn't going to blow it towards us, so we went ahead and unloaded then went back for the others still at Bev's.

My eternal thanks to Davie Killman, Bev Gray, Dustin and his parents and girlfriend, all of whom went above and beyond the call to help us.

Oh, and I woke up to a surprise this morning. My pregnant palomino mare, due tomorrow but who hadn't finished her bag yet, gave me a beautiful cremello filly about 8 this morning by my AMHR/ASPC buckskin stallion Establo Picasso. Goldie was not even up in the foaling stall yet, but went into the open barn to foal and kept her newborn out of the rain. Well done, Goldie!

Again, thanks for all who helped evacuate the horses and to all who offered but were just too far away to get there in time. Love ya all!

Pat

ROSAROCA, congrat's on your new cremello filly. I'm glad everything was ok and mom and baby are doing well. I had posted on the Back Porch yesterday cause wasn't sure I could post on this forum, I was worried as here in SW Mo we'd been getting all kinds of news on it. I do hope everyone with their horses/animals/family makes it out. I also come from Southern Ca. and fires are a fact of life there, so you evacuate early and don't wait till the last minute cause you want your livestock and family to remain safe. I agree, please, please evacuate early. I know this is a little late coming but if it saves one life it's worth it. I do pray for all of you, TJ

Pat ...so glad that you had friends close enough t o help in this bad situation. P.s. pics please (when u have time of your baby)
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God you are all safe. I hope the rains help. Congratulations to RosaRoca and Davie on your new foals! That's wonderful that both mares had successful deliveries despite the fires. Sounds like they had little guardian angels watching over them while you were all busy helping others.
default_hypocrite.gif

Praise the Lord for good friends! Leesa and I were working horses Friday afternoon. We were smelling smoke, but the wind had shifted and was coming south, and I thought it was just carrying the smoke from the fires of the day before. The first thing we knew, Dustin was pulling up in front of the place telling us we had to evacuate NOW! The fire had rekindled and was heading south fast, directly toward Leesa's place.
He hooked up the big trailer that Davie Killman had left at the next door neighbor's and we all started haltering horses and loading them wherever they would fit. My horses, only 2 blocks south, were the next to load. We had TONS of help and even someone to drive my elderly Mom and sister and the dogs out to safety so I didn't have to try to cram everyone into my truck.

As Davie said, her friend Dustin and his dad, both volunteer firefighters, brought Davie's truck back after the horses were relocated and stayed to water down our house roofs. The fire got with about an 1/8 of a mile from Leesa's before they got it put out.

The horses stayed the night at Bev Gray's, most of them running together in her big pasture. Leesa and I brought the first two loads back Saturday around 11 am, but there were several columns of smoke north of us again. So, before we unloaded, we took a car up to see where the fires were. Luckily, they were over a mile north this time and what little breeze was blowing was coming from the east. It wasn't going to blow it towards us, so we went ahead and unloaded then went back for the others still at Bev's.

My eternal thanks to Davie Killman, Bev Gray, Dustin and his parents and girlfriend, all of whom went above and beyond the call to help us.

Oh, and I woke up to a surprise this morning. My pregnant palomino mare, due tomorrow but who hadn't finished her bag yet, gave me a beautiful cremello filly about 8 this morning by my AMHR/ASPC buckskin stallion Establo Picasso. Goldie was not even up in the foaling stall yet, but went into the open barn to foal and kept her newborn out of the rain. Well done, Goldie!

Again, thanks for all who helped evacuate the horses and to all who offered but were just too far away to get there in time. Love ya all!

Pat
Oh my Gosh! You know you would have been welcome to bring them here! There are some I would love to see...and Rosie would have mysteriously disappeared
default_wub.png
I had been meaning to email you and ask if you had any Picasso babies..I know you had started breding last March trying to get everyone due b4 show time! I don't guess I met Goldie...YES we want PICTURES...make time! (Guess I should check the board to see if you have posted pics)Picasso is so awesome!!! I bet all the excitement and moving around hurried things up. Maybe I should take mine for a trip
default_wink.png

So thankful all is ok...you know you can call on me anytime...I have been practicing pulling the trailer myself.

Im happy to hear that everybody is okay and so are the horses. I havent had time to watch the news as I have been getting my new filly home and things at the farm ready for her.

I live out in western Oklahoma north of Clinton now and I used to live in MWC/Choctaw area and was concerned with my mom and everyone out there

Witts Mini her daughter lives right across the street from my mom

Julie your folks live a few miles from my mom who is at 10th between Post and Westminster ! SMALL WORLD huh

with work and no cell phone service were I go most of the time I try to keep in contact with my mom

Im just glad that all is okay now any updates has everyone been able to get back home and to a normal routine ?

Im super happy to hear that the bred mares foaled with no issues due to the crazy situation at hand and didnt get to stressed out

THANK GOD FOR GOOD PEOPLE WHO HELP OTHERS !!!!!!!!!!!! Ida takin on some if they needed but im about 2hrs away ! got a 3a field growin grass as my horses are all being boarded

The people that started the fires should be set in the middle of a fire intentionaly and see if they like it ! weirdos ! gesh some people
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back