Oklahoma Fires!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a very scary night last night. Fire was 3 miles from the house and less than 1/2 mile from Pat Elder's (Rosa Roca) training center and Leesa Conley's (not forum member). I took my stock trailer and big gooseneck and staged at Leesa's. Pat had her gooseneck ready at her place and Leesa had her trailer ready to go.

Was up until 1:00 making sure all was well as the winds were turning to blowing South SE and had been blowing West NW so fires could have jumped back over themselves and still gusting over 50mph at times.

The young man that works for me is a volunteer fireman but is currently not working as he is recovering from a boken leg so he was able to go up to the fire staging area and keep us posted on the SE 134th & Anderson Rd fire.

Someone asked about Amber Oaks--Bev M now lives in Springtown TX but her old place just miss the fire line by about a mile. I called her last night and she asked me to go by and make sure the place of OK.

One thing we realized and is a GOOD REMINDER FOR EVERYONE is we did not have enough halters of the right sizes for all the horses. As you know those things grow feet and walk away in the dark of night. So before you get caught in an evacuation situation, be sure that you have enough halters and leads. Better to have too many hanging around then not enough.

One of Pat's Shetland clients had to evacuate and they managed to take all the birds (they raise exotic parrots and cockatials (sp)) and the dogs but were not allowed back in to get the horses. They got back this morning--horses are fine, their house was untouched but the building that housed the birds was destroyed so now they are looking for a place to keep the birds until they can get a new building for them.

Did take a drive down on 134th on the way to work and most everyone from Draper Lake Drive to Hiawassee (about 2 miles) on the south side of the road had sever damage or total losses. The folks on the north side of the street faired a little better, mostly grass and some outbuilding. When I went back down 134th towards the lake and around toward the dam I found the point of origin for this fire--SOME STUPID PERSON THREW SOME IGNITION SOURCE out of their car and it caught the grass on fire under the big electrical transmission tower and it took off from there.

We also heard reports from Dustin's Fire Department scanner that several reports from 3 different staging areas in the Choctaw area fire had seen a group of 3 trucks pulling horse trailers thowing out lit toilet paper rolls along the roadside. We wondered why the fires were jumping 1/2 mile intervals. We were all about ready to YOU CAN GUESS!!! We just knew that if we had to haul out that every horse trailer was going to be stopped as they had no descriptions of the trucks.

This morning the smell of smoke at my house was extremely noticeable and when I drove up to check on Bev M's old place you could see the smoke right down on the ground and about 2 feet thick and just heavy in the air. They still had a firetruck down on 134th watching a lot of hot spots and our electric co-op was out replacing burned power poles. The Choctaw area fire is still not contained from what I heard on the news this morning.

The wind is not as bad this morning but would be nice if that rain the are prediction for Sunday would arrive today. Our fight fighters are just exhausted and are being rotated in and out but are stretched so thin with all the fires in the state much less the metro area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pat & Davie - So glad you guys are okay.

My aunt lives on Reno between Post and Anderson roads. I didn't realize you guys were so close to her! Gonna have to come visit you when I am there!
default_smile.png

I just can't comprehend what kind of sick individual could drive along starting fires intentionally on a day like yesterday. With a drought and winds over 50 mph there was no way for anybody to stop or contain these fires.
default_no.gif

Yesterday early evening that we had thunderstorm and hails..

We are in Tulsa, OK and we are not on Red Flag Warning.

Mostly west of Oklahoma is Red Flag Warning..
default_sad.png

They really need rains too!!....

I hope everyone is fine and keep eye and report it early..

Also pray for the wind to slow down!..

The high wind is very scary for fire..
default_sad.png

Praying for everyone..

Tell Pat "HI" and so glad to hear you guys were spared. Was wondering where the fires were headed
default_no.gif

As Art and I were going home from work last night, as we approached Cyril the was a big fire just west of town. The smoke was bad as we drove through it. Our hearts sunk! as we are just North and west of that fire. We got home and started to water down the house, the horses and as much of the pasture as we could, then the winds changed to the North and blew the fire back on its self, Whew!!! The Lawton Paper reported this am the fire was 2 miles from us, way tooooo close for me!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
No sleep for us last night....

If anyone up there needs help CALL us all of my crew will be up there breaking land speed records to help numbers below

dawn

Great to hear the updates - any folks from Wise County, TX area - from news reports we had fires there yesterday as well.

Nothing but smoke on the drive home last night. No fires in my area but the smoke was still fairly heavy.

Wind was unreal - reminded me of hurricanes without the rain/water.

My prayers are with all effected.

I'm sure glad to hear that everyone and their critters are safe. One comment though, hope you don't mind. When you find yourself wondering what horses might have to be left behind to face possible death in a fire PLEASE PLEASE think about evacuating sooner. If you start early (hopefully it will have been done for no reason) you can take more than 1 load. Just saying this because of past fire dangers when I lived in Florida. It's always better to act too soon rather than too late; if you have too many horses for 1 load, give yourself time to take 2 loads.

I'm sure glad to hear that everyone and their critters are safe. One comment though, hope you don't mind. When you find yourself wondering what horses might have to be left behind to face possible death in a fire PLEASE PLEASE think about evacuating sooner. If you start early (hopefully it will have been done for no reason) you can take more than 1 load. Just saying this because of past fire dangers when I lived in Florida. It's always better to act too soon rather than too late; if you have too many horses for 1 load, give yourself time to take 2 loads.
Donna you are so right! Living in Southern California, fires are just a part of life here. A little over a year ago there was a fire in my valley (with many other fires burning in surrounding cities). My husband was in London so I was on my own with six horses and two dogs. I don't have a large enough trailer to evacuate everyone all at once but have wonderful friends with trailers that I have "mutual aid" agreements with (they evacuated to my house two years ago). The fire was about three miles down the road, which is incredibly close when it comes to fire and blowing embers. I made the decision to evacuate my horses to friends' homes rather than take a "wait and see" stance. With three senior horses it was a tough decision but I knew I would never forgive myself if I'd waited too long. Roads were closed so we had to take alternate routes which took much longer than we expected. Thank God the firefighters got it under control and out fairly quickly (although there were numerous flareups). IMHO our evacuation was definitely for a reason--it was for our safety and peace of mind. I would do it again and it solidified in my mind that if there is even a question of whether to evacuate, I will err on the side of caution.

Wildfires are nothing to mess with. If you are in a high-fire danger area, during "fire season" be sure you have your trailers packed with feed, water, and medications; keep the fuel tank full and your rig hooked up. Evacuate early and stay safe! We owe it to the animals in our care that depend on us.
default_smile.png
Okay, off my soapbox now.
default_blush.png

Rebecca

P.S. - Here's a link to a very helpful booklet on what to do with your horses in fire, flood, or earthquake. Equine Emergency Preparation

I can't imagine anyone deliberately adding to the fires, just malicious acts! Hope the fires let up with coming rain and that we don't have a round of really severe weather.

We have been able to smell smoke all the way down here near Austin - 200 miles south of Dallas - and delivering a mare to Dallas yesterday there was a thick smokey haze over the city.

Jan

I smelled smoke also this morning when I stepped out my front door. And we haven't actually had any fires near my house. Yet. Right now I am so on edge that my heart literally just stopped for a second. But I couldn't see where it was coming from and the smell went away in about 30 minutes. My husband drives a truck and they are having trouble with highways being shut down and having to drive through smoke where they can't see.

Watching the news last night was so sad. Whoever set the fire in MWC did so deliberately.
default_no.gif
I just can't imagine. If they find out who did it they should be charged with attemped murder. We are lucky nobody died in that fire. One woman said that they literally had to run away from it. She was washing dishes when her husband yelled to her to get to the car. They didn't even have time to grab her purse or her wedding ring that she had laid on the windowsill over the sink. The house went up just minutes after they got out. I watched one house on the news that was completely consumed in less than 10 minutes. For many of these people there was no time to evacuate any belongings or animals.

But the rain is supposedly coming tomorrow! Yippeee!

I smelled smoke also this morning when I stepped out my front door. And we haven't actually had any fires near my house. Yet. Right now I am so on edge that my heart literally just stopped for a second. But I couldn't see where it was coming from and the smell went away in about 30 minutes. My husband drives a truck and they are having trouble with highways being shut down and having to drive through smoke where they can't see.
Watching the news last night was so sad. Whoever set the fire in MWC did so deliberately.
default_no.gif
I just can't imagine. If they find out who did it they should be charged with attemped murder. We are lucky nobody died in that fire. One woman said that they literally had to run away from it. She was washing dishes when her husband yelled to her to get to the car. They didn't even have time to grab her purse or her wedding ring that she had laid on the windowsill over the sink. The house went up just minutes after they got out. I watched one house on the news that was completely consumed in less than 10 minutes. For many of these people there was no time to evacuate any belongings or animals.

But the rain is supposedly coming tomorrow! Yippeee!
Hey Julie,

I know the feeling and everytime when I smell smoke that is miles away.

I asked my husband (if he is not busy) to drive around to see where the smoke came from.

If he is busy and I will drive around for myself to make sure that everything is fine.

You're right - It is suppose to RAIN tomorrow - 90%!.. yaya!!..

Glad that everyone is okay and it is sad that people loss their favorties things.
default_sad.png

The fire got within one mile of my place on Anderson Road and SE 159th, in the southeast part of OKC. I spent nearly the entire night in the car, sitting at the corner store with about 50 other cars watching the flames just to our north and watching the changing winds. Leesa Conley of Daystar Miniatures is 2 blocks closer to the flames that I am. She and I both had our trailers hooked up, and Davie Killman of Arabesque Acres, bless her heart, had her two trailers hooked up and ready to help us evacuate if it came to that. Fortunately, it didn't.
Lots of people lost their homes or barns, though, in the immediate area. A good friend 3/4 mile straight north of me lost all three of her barns and her garage. They saved her house. One of my training customers, about 3 miles from here, lost the shop building where he kept his 20 some pairs of breeding cockatoos. He and his partner managed to get all the birds and their dogs out but weren't let back in with the trailer to get the ponies. Thank heavens, all of them were safe and his house didn't go up.

I just finished a brief drivethrough of the worst areas near me. Lots of places are burned to the ground and still smouldering. If the winds continue and we don't get rain, some of them will start back up again. The danger isn't over yet, although it is diminished, at least for now.

I pray for all of those who lost their homes, barns, cars, and property. I hope no lives were lost, either human or animal, but I'm sure that some were.

Pat Elder

Rosa Roca Training Stables

Oklahoma City, OK
Whew, happy to hear you, Leesa and the horses are ok and din't lose any of the shelters you worked so hard on. Sorry, I forgot about you 2, I was so worried about my daughter and grand kids...they where in the MWC/Choctaw area and the cell phone towers where burned down and she couldn't call me back...I was in a panic! They are fine, watching the news makes me cry..so sad. Coming at such hard times makes it even worse.

Update: Easter Sunday Morning

Well it got worse before it got better for Leesa and Pat. Got a call about 3pm on Friday from Dustin and he was already on the road (faster than he should). He had heard on the scanner that they had shut down 149th between Anderson and west to Douglas. The fire had rekindled and was heading south and might jump the road. I got from Tinker to Leesa's in less than 10 minutes (usually 20) and had to detour around as I usually turn between where the road was shut down. They already had my big trailer and Leesa's almost loaded so I ran and got my stock trailer and got back to finish loading and just as I got turned around the FIRE CHIEF came and told us to get out.

We left Dustin's Dad and the neighbors husband there to water down their roofs and headed over a couple of streets to help Pat finish loading and get her mare with a new baby on the trailer. Our 4 trailer and 1 car caravan went over to Bev G's house and stationed there. Dustin immediately dropped my trailer and headed back to Pats to water down her place.

Leesa and Pat went back over about an hour later as the guys had not shown up to check on things and the fire was right behind Leesa's neighbor's place in the woods. They got it knocked down and told they could return home but there was no guarantee that they would not have to leave again.

We decided to leave the horses at Bev's so we stated finding stall for those that needed them and then turned out the other.

We managed to move 30 minis and 2 Quarter Horses.

Saturday morning I had to take a friend down to Rocking R to pick up her new rescue mare, Jasmine so was gone most of the morning. Got her delivered and went to see if Pat and Leesa needed help in getting the horse back over to their place and helped get a couple on the trailer then came home to drop the trailer and check on my maiden mare who was due to foal just any day. Everyone was fine so had to take the truck to Moore for my son to use and get some groceries. On the way home I came across 2 fire trucks that we tanking up, the fire had reinigated, but the winds were blowing NW again and was going toward the lake. When I got home I found a surprise.

Dove had her foal while I was gone. A tiny very nice little buckskin colt. My first colt by Double--this is only his 6th colt out of 23 foals. I got extremely lucky that everything turned out fine. Did have to have the vet out as he was not nursing as well as I would have liked so she tubed him and that got him started. Once he got his tummy full of warm mommy milk he was fine. Dove is being a great MOM. This little guy just named himself--Arabesque Doubles Winden Fire.

The rains started while we were in the barn and it has been a nice gentle rain all night and it is supposed to rain off and on all day long. This will give the firefighters a much needed rest finally.

Davie did they get the POPE GOAT?

james asked that lol

im glad everything is ok up there

dawn

OMG how very scarey for everyone involved. Davie so glad to hear everything is ok for you, I had no idea all this was going on. I will keep all involved in my thoughts and prayers.

Whew, what a scary thread to read. :DOH!
default_sad.png

So glad every one is okay.
default_smile.png

And thank goodness for the rain today.

I need to go and count my halters..........that was a very good tip.

Happy Easter everyone.

So glad that everyone is okay Davie! You guys must be exhausted with worry.

Oh, and CONGRATS on the new little boy! I think his name fits perfectly!

Latest posts

Back