Ok, I've always been curious...How many siblings in your family?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAM

Reaction score
The beautiful Mill Creek Valley~Prineville, OR
...your family life growing up.
default_smile.png

I am an only child and, although I imagine I had a lot of opportunities others might not growing up (i.e. taking a friend on all my family vacations), I always feel like I missed out on something. I know I am missing out now as an adult and would give anything to share my younger years with someone who... remembers that funny thing that dad did at the family BBQ in 1974 or that silly dog we had that threw up on grandma's new dress on Christmas Day 30 years ago...

So, tell me what life was like for you with brothers and sisters and let's see who has the most siblings!
default_smile.png

The contest: Whomever has the most siblings will win a special surprise gift!
default_wink.png
: Or maybe your mother should win the gift! Ha ha! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
HEHEHE...My brother lives with me now so he can work here, but has a wife and kids at home. I was six when he was born and he was pretty rambunctious and mean to me then. I wouldn't trade him for the world now. He works hard and loves his family. I am so glad I have him as my brother!

This is me and my brother Dan!

Picture017.jpg

There are 4 of us. I have 2 brothers and a sister. My mom came from a family of nine, and also ended up with the most kids at 4.

I am the youngest of 4 kids in my family (1 boy, 3 girls). And ohhhh, the memories I have of things we did (and trouble we got into!!).

I remember many Saturday nights during the winter fighting over the tv in the living room, because my brother had to watch his flipping hockey game (which was in french, since he is a Montreal Canadiens fan, and well, we only had country cable back then
default_wink.png
: ). NOW I am an avid hockey fan and watch every Avalanche game I can catch!!!!

I can remember building hay forts in the barn, going on 'creek walks' with my sisters, man, there are just too many things to list.....
default_yes.gif
: But my brother and I did squabble quite a bit....and now looking back on it, we are sooo similar it isn't funny!!!!
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

My sisters and I always had to share a room....the 3 of us....which was difficult at times! But we always got along really well....we still do. My sister that is 3 years older than me (she is the closest in age to me), we do a lot of stuff together!! She paid for me to go to the Dominican Republic with her last year!!!! And well this weekend we are off to pick up a puppy for her :aktion033: And she doesn't have a clue!!!! LOL I can't wait to see her reaction when she finds out why we are really there!!!! :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

I sometimes used to wish I didn't have my siblings (c'mon don't we all think that at some time or another), but we are always there for each other. If one of us needs something, we are all there for them.

~kathryn

I had one younger brother, and one younger half-sister.

I am pretty much estranged from both.

Brother is bipolar (extreme), and we can't really discuss much that upsets him, and often that includes things to do w/our childhood.

My half-sister has done some terrible things to my family, remeniscent of the things our mom used to do, so we have stopped all communication with her out of self-defense.

I know it's not typical, but I say you're not missing much. I have ended up an only child for the most part, anyway. It's a good thing I have such wonderful friends.
default_smile.png

Liz

I GREW UP WITH A SISTER 10 YEARS OLDER. I DON'T REALLY EVEN REMEMBER HER LIVING WITH US. SHE LIVE ABOUT 3 HOURS AWAY AND WE ONLY SEE EACH OTHER A FEW TIME A YEAR. NOW THAT I AM OLD I WISH WE WERE CLOSER, I THINK IT WOULD BE NEAT TO HAVE A SISTER TO DO THINGS WITH. SHE WENT TO COLLAGE WHEN SHE WAS 17 AND FROM THER MOVED AWAY, SHE IS NOW 44. I GREW UP KINDA LIKE AN ONLY CHILD AND I ONLY LIVE A MILE FROM MY PARENTS
default_smile.png
NIKKI

Right there with ya Debra! I am the ONLY child... my parents divorced in 1986 but my dad had twin girls prior and I have an 11 yr old step-sister now too. So total from my dad there are 4 of us... ALL GIRLS! And I am the ONLY from my mom... So I grew up as an only since my dad couldn't get his act together.

Since I know what it's like to be an ONLY, Hubby-to-be and I are planning 3 more to add to the one I already have!
default_yes.gif
:

I am the oldest of 6. I was 15 when my baby brother was born. He was the ring bearer at our wedding. To say our family was disfunctional is putting it mildly. Was told relatives call me the normal one. Have contact with 2 brothers. Have been hurt deeply by most. Not a happy story. :no:

I have 2 brothers. One is 7 years older than I and got "stuck" babysitting my younger brother(by 15 mos) when we were kids. I do remember quite a few pillow fights when mom and dad were away!
default_whistling.gif
: We were always picking on each other
default_poke.gif
: but if anyone else dared to pick on one the others were always there to defend them! :deadhorse2: I remember lots of family camping trips and playing games......we had our share of problems(dad was an alcoholic but stopped drinking when I was 9), but most of my childhood memories are good ones. :bgrin

I'm the oldest of 5, with one sis and 3 brothers. With large families, you're either VERY close or VERY distant. I'm part of the 'distant' family. My sister came to visit with her 4 kids this summer, but after many years of living in different areas of the state, we found out we both changed SO much, we didn't really have anything in common any more. It was very disappointing and sad.

My ex was an only child, and always looked forward to big family get togethers, etc., but we never had them. He thought he was missing something, but it was just a matter of lots of dysfunctional people stuck together for a meal, etc. I still wish we could all get together and actually have a warm and loving time, but that stopped years ago!

So, the large familied kids wish they could be only children, and the only children wish for a large family. Go figure. Blondes want to be brunettes, curly haired want to have straight hair, the list goes on! I guess it boils down to teaching the little ones that family is THE most important treasure you can safeguard, and pass it on!

Hugs!

i was the oldest of 8. I had a sister, a half-sister, a step-sister, a half-brother and three step-brothers.

none of us are very close. we grew up in a family where parents were playing the kids against the other parents and playing the kids against each other. growing up in that family was torture.

baby of 7 here. the odd thing is my husband is also the baby of 7. i have been told normally the youngest will marry and person who was the oldest in their family. guess we are the exception to the rule lol.

i admit i was spoiled by being last. think my parents were worn out by the time i came around lol. my mom always made birthdays and holidays really special. we were a pretty tight knit group

It's so sad to hear that so many siblings don't get along. I have one sister and one brother and we're very close. We all live in different states but get together several times a year. Our whole family, grandparents down to the great grandkids all get along and have a blast!

I'm an only child but spent lots of times with my cousins growing up. So that was like having siblings since I saw them alot. One of my cousins, Ash, is a member here and has horses so I get to see her alot now too as an adult which is nice. Now that we're grown up, we all have our own lives and I only see them at family gatherings.

I am "the middle child"....I have a brother 3 yrs older and a sister 7 yrs younger. As kids we all faught like cats and dogs (my brother was MEAN to me...didnt know his own strength and teased me torturously). My sister and I had to share a room together at 1st, which was really hard...she touched everything of mine!
default_rolleyes.gif
: I even asked my mom when I was little, "Can't you take her back?" :lol: But, as a family, we all got along and looked out for each other. We went on camping trips, cross country road trips, etc.

Now, as adults, we get together for every holiday, even everyone's Bdays, since we all live pretty near each other and my parents' house. We definately weren't the "Brady Bunch" growing up, but I have to say that growing up watching how my parents treated each other and all of us, we learned what's important in life.

I have 3 older sisters, one of which passed away about a year ago. I always felt like an only child because I was 6 years younger than the youngest. She left home when she was 18 and I was just turning 12, so I never really had that "sisterly bound" with her even.

I love all my sisters, but it is amazing how different we all are. If one didn't know you wouldn't even think we came from the same parents. None of us where ever very close. It's hard to be close even as adults since we all live in different states, but are much closer now then when we were young.

Since I was so much younger than everyone else and they were all 2-3 years apart, the biggest thing I remember was getting beat up all the time! Of course, I was a brat and did deserve some of it :bgrin .

I am from a family of 13 (thirteen, not a misprint). 2 boys and 11 girls. I am 3rd oldest. Ten of us still living. My youngest sister is just 6 weeks older than my oldest son. Marnie from this forum is one of my sisters.
default_smile.png

Oh the stories I could tell you. We had no tv. One bicycle. Made our own fun, like putting a younger sister in a barrel and pushing it in the creek (deepest spot in the creek) to see if it would float. It did. Wading in the creek when it was raging with water. One time our mean old rooster was coming after us and we all ran and left Marnie sitting in the wagon (she was very small). I guess we figured the rooster wouldn't hurt her because she was so little and sweet. :lol:

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Now as we get older, we are all becoming closer again. We are all done raising our children so are focusing more on our sisters. Brother lives in Texas so don't see him. He's the oldest.

Sorry this is so long, but I LOVE MY SISTERS SO MUCH..
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Bonnie Bassett

I had a brother 13 years older(now dead) and a sister 7 years older(now estranged) so yes, I had siblings but spread out the way we were it was almost like being an only child.

I prefer to have "chosen family" and have been very successful in chosing a wonderful extended family. Sandy (sedeh) is my best friend but her mom is my mom. If you haven't guessed yet, I'm the good daughter. My neighbors were my chosen family and I gained 4 sisters and a couple brothers from them. I am childless but gained a surrogate daughter in the last year and my significant other has 3 younger children who have started staying with us on weekends so have become a mom to them also.

You're stuck with the family you are born into but you can choose a wonderful extended family.

I'm 4th of 4.

My oldest brother, Bill, is 39. Next is my Sister, Tamila, who is 37. Then my other brother, John who is 33 and then me ....18 lol. I have a feeling i was a suprise. 39...37 .....33 .................18 LOL

My dad who is 72yrs old was the 4th of 11 children, they grew up in KY in a hallar (sp?) and i have pics of there little old house ..amazing 11 kids grew up in it but it was a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am the youngest of five. My mum was one of five, she had five, and I have five kids. Wasn't really trying to carry on tradition or anything...

We moved here to Canada from England when I was a child. My eldest sister stayed in London, and my second eldest went back a year later. My other sister and brother still live in and near Toronto where I grew up. I have been back to England to live for awhile before I joined the army and met my hubby.

Latest posts

Back