Ok Humor me....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxjag2000

Reaction score
Okay, so I have been around Mini Horses all my life, but I have never even seen a Mini donkey before so I have a few DUMB questions:

1.) Do the they drive Mini donkeys?

2.) Do they jump Mini donkeys? If so, do they have hunter and jumper or is it different? How high do they usually jump?

3.) Do they do in-hand obstacle with Mini donkeys?

4.) Are there Mini Donkey shows?

5.) Is there a Mini donkey national organization that has a world show and everything?

6.) How easy are Mini donkeys to train in general? (I know that will depend on the donkey, but I mean in a very general sense. Are they typically stubborn? Or easy to train like a Mini Horse?)

Okay sorry for my incredibly dumb questions!
default_wacko.png
: I'm just curious and know nothing about them. If there are shows I'd love to go to one and see what they can do.

[

1.) Do the they drive Mini donkeys?

2.) Do they jump Mini donkeys? If so, do they have hunter and jumper or is it different? How high do they usually jump?

3.) Do they do in-hand obstacle with Mini donkeys?

4.) Are there Mini Donkey shows?

5.) Is there a Mini donkey national organization that has a world show and everything?

6.) How easy are Mini donkeys to train in general? (I know that will depend on the donkey, but I mean in a very general sense. Are they typically stubborn? Or easy to train like a Mini Horse?)

Okay sorry for my incredibly dumb questions!
default_wacko.png
: I'm just curious and know nothing about them. If there are shows I'd love to go to one and see what they can do.

I can only answer a couple:

1. YES! I have seen LOTS of mini donkeys driven-even team driven and they are SOOOO cute!

2-3. Meredith Hodges on RFD TV does obstacle training with her donkeys and mules and they seem to do as well as horses with training.

4. I think there is a donkey show in Tennessee (not sure location) and they have a mini class to show. Maybe someone else has better information on this !

5- Not sure

6- Different training methods but same results. Again, Meredith Hodges is a good resource for videos, books, etc.

I did see where Meredith had trained a full sized mule and competed against horses and placed first-out doing the horses.

I love my mini horses but I LOVE my donkeys. I hope someone can post about shows for you. I don;t show so don't really know where they are.
default_wink.png
:

i don't show so no help here... but i have to second Suzie in saying i love my mini horses (and my big ones too) but i LOVE my donkeys...
default_wub.png
:

if you have never seen one, YOU NEED TO!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

and just for the record, the only DUMB questions are the ones you DON'T ask!!! because those are the ones you don't get answers to!
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
1.) Do the they drive Mini donkeys? Yes, my jack is trained to drive. This is an OLD picture but this boy LOVES to go.

kilroy.jpg

2.) Do they jump Mini donkeys? If so, do they have hunter and jumper or is it different? How high do they usually jump? It is called "coon jumping". They jump from a standstill. I'm not sure how high they go with the minis, I've heard up to 48" being pretty high.

3.) Do they do in-hand obstacle with Mini donkeys? Yes, we do in-hand obstacles

4.) Are there Mini Donkey shows? Yes, all over the country. TX has a lot, TN a lot, OH a lot, NM has 2 then you have Bishop Mule Days where it is a week long event.

5.) Is there a Mini donkey national organization that has a world show and everything? There are a few different organizations. American Mule Donkey Association, NASMA, and they just started a new one but I can't remember the name of it. I think there are a couple of states that Championship shows but I don't know if there is a "World Show".

6.) How easy are Mini donkeys to train in general? (I know that will depend on the donkey, but I mean in a very general sense. Are they typically stubborn? Or easy to train like a Mini Horse?) Donkeys are not stubborn. They are all for life preservation. If they think it might hurt them, they won't do it. Donkeys are incredibly smart animals. You can watch them thinking things through before doing it. A horse can only think 1 thought at a time, a donkey can think of several at once. IF you have a lot of patience, you can train a donkey to do anything.

Keep asking....we'll answer them!

1.) Do the they drive Mini donkeys? Yes, my jack is trained to drive. This is an OLD picture but this boy LOVES to go.
kilroy.jpg

6.) How easy are Mini donkeys to train in general? (I know that will depend on the donkey, but I mean in a very general sense. Are they typically stubborn? Or easy to train like a Mini Horse?) Donkeys are not stubborn. They are all for life preservation. If they think it might hurt them, they won't do it. Donkeys are incredibly smart animals. You can watch them thinking things through before doing it. A horse can only think 1 thought at a time, a donkey can think of several at once. IF you have a lot of patience, you can train a donkey to do anything.

oooohhhhh Kilroy, what a handsome boy... and very well said!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Thank you for the answers!!
default_smile.png
I will definiely look into Meredith Hodges, American Mule Donkey Association, and NASMA.

I'd love to go to a Mini Donkey show in FL if there is one. I emailed a local Mini donkey farm so maybe they would know. Does anyone know why they jump from a stand-still? What are their jumping classes judged on? Form and manners, like a hunter class, or just the ability to jump, like a jumper class?

What kinds of things do they do for the in-hand obstacle classes? Same thing as the Minis?

Do you clip them like the minis or does their hair stay naturally short?

Thank you for the answers!!
default_smile.png
I will definiely look into Meredith Hodges, American Mule Donkey Association, and NASMA.

I'd love to go to a Mini Donkey show in FL if there is one. I emailed a local Mini donkey farm so maybe they would know. Does anyone know why they jump from a stand-still? What are their jumping classes judged on? Form and manners, like a hunter class, or just the ability to jump, like a jumper class?

There is a donkey and mule show at the FL state fair. Check it out if you are there showing minis.

Good luck and have fun! :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never tried the coon jumping. I have thought about it with my mules but then I don't want them to decide they can just hop out anytime they want
default_rolleyes.gif
: :new_shocked:

We clip Kilroy for shows and in the spring when it gets too warm. They do get wooly just like the minis, maybe not as thick but still long hair. They don't like the cold. Kilroy hates to get wet too.

The obstacle classes we have done are very similar to the mini obstacles; backing an L, sidepass, cross a bridge, pivot in a square or hoolahoop, trot through cones, over poles, check the mail.........same stuff

Talking to a local breeder is a good idea. They would know more about what goes on locally.

Latest posts

Back