OK Birders,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepipony

Reaction score
I have a Flycatcher, I think, nesting in my barn. It has a flycatcher type head, deep grey body, head is deeper grey. Body looks very light cream. It is small, about Sparrow size. It wont sit still long enough for me to get a good look LOL I have looked online at dozens of pics and none seem to match. I am in central TX. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe it's a "least flycatcher"? They're sparrow-sized, according to my bird book, but they supposedly only migrate through TX, rather than living there full-time. Most of the flycatchers in my book have whitish breasts, but with an "unbuttoned gray vest" and darker gray "coats" with white or lighter gray wing bars...

Swallows are also sparrow-size, or thereabouts. Barn swallow has a really pointy forked tail and some yellow and brown markings around the throat. Bank swallow is creamy white underneath, brownish above. Tree swallow is dark gray or blueish above and white beneath. Chimney swifts are charcoal gray with white underneath. They have a really short, stubby tail, while the barn and bank swallows have shorter tails with V's in them...

Any of those sound close?

Nope, not a swallow, I have barn swallows now in my shop LOL Its a flycatcher, I narrowed it down to the tyrrant flycatcher family, but thats as far as I have gotten.

Does he look like this little one? This is the female version of our Flycatchers. Her and her mate come back year after year and make a nest in the rafters of our old barn. The male has a little notch on his head like a cardinal. Cute little birds. Hubby caught this pic with a zoom lens.

FlyCatcher.jpg

No
default_sad.png
Mine is lighter grey in the body, head is about that dark and is raised all over, not a peek like a Cardinal. I tell ya, its drivin me N U T S trying to find this little guy.

Pepi...try this site and see if you come up with one that looks like your little guy.

http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/Flycatchers.html

I looked at the male again today and noticed his top notch is not actually like a Cardinal's but raised all over like you say...and I found him in that site....he looks more like the Eastern Kingbird.

Latest posts

Back