Observations and other trivia from a first timer at R National

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Whiteman

Reaction score
I made a list of things that I noticed during my first time at the AMHR National show. They are not listed in any order of preference. Maybe some others have their own list. Feel free to join in, as I am sure I missed some things.

I was amazed at the number and the overall quality of the horses. I got the gate in every class, but I was in good company each time.

I only heard, " I just broke the horse to drive a month before Nationals" once. This was the same person that I heard complain something about "peanut rollers" placing way too high.

The location of the "Watering Hole" is not a bad thing to know.

Sharing a meal with friends at IHOP between two and three A.M. less than 25 dollars. The local entertainment at IHOP at that time .. priceless!

That people can be standing by a "no smoking" sign and smoke a cigarette. I was going to complain until I saw several well know individuals "light up" also. It is hard not to take that as a sign that the rules don't really count at least for some. Maybe that is why some dogs were allowed to leave their deposits wherever they liked. For some, rules don't apply to everyone, just to the other guy. Sorta like measuring been don't ya know. Sorry I could not help myself. Smoking and barns just don't mix for me.

There is more to liberty classes that a free spirited loose horse and music.

The show staff did a great job and had an upbeat attitude for the whole show.

I have never felt the need to have a armed guard at a grocery store before.

There should be a contest to award the exhibitor that leaves the biggest mess when they leave. WOW!

The water never gets cold from the tap.

I learned to recognize the true pronunciation of Missouri.

I did have a great time and over all my experience was that of a wonderful time with some many very great people.

Ron

I only heard, " I just broke the horse to drive a month before Nationals" once. This was the same person that I heard complain something about "peanut rollers" placing way too high.

The location of the "Watering Hole" is not a bad thing to know.

Sharing a meal with friends at IHOP between two and three A.M. less than 25 dollars. The local entertainment at IHOP at that time .. priceless!

I have never felt the need to have a armed guard at a grocery store before.

There should be a contest to award the exhibitor that leaves the biggest mess when they leave. WOW!

Ron
LOL yes Tulsa Walmarts around 2 am are one of the scariest places to be EVER (and I was in the middle of the LA Riots LOL)

and yes the middle of the night dinners always brought great entertainment.

Glad you had a good time!

Yes the smoking in the barns really do bother me, especially since I have asthma but I also care about the horses health. But I guess it happens at any show, not just Nationals.

I've never met you but I just learned I instantly like you!

PS: I'm from Mizzoura ;)

I also learned the correct pronouctiation of Mizzoura! Had no idea.

Agree on the armed guards at the grocery store S C A R EYYYYYYYY
default_biggrin.png

It's always a great time at Nationals! Glad you had fun

Great commentary...you are right on target LOL.

Jan

I'd like to put in a word for Tulsa. It was a very safe city with low crime until she generously opened her doors to Katrina's homeless. Things have never been the same. It will take many years for those folks to be assimilated into the city, culturally and economically, and until then, please be patient and understanding. Katrina is history, but its effects are still being felt. The pity and compassion you felt THEN needs to be extended in time. I'm sorry for everyone who had trailers or tack stolen. Sorry for everyone who was frightened and intimidated. But you all (or is that "all ya'll"
default_laugh.png
) got to go home; the citizens of Tulsa are dealing with this every day, and doing the best they can.

But Katrina doesn't explain exhibitors leaving a mess behind.

Having been there a few times, I have to laugh out loud at your observations. Right on, LOL I just had to laugh out loud at some of it.

It sounds like you had a good time, and dont worry- my first two times going I got the gate also, but the third time was a charm! I plan on going again, and if I get the gate again... oh well, but had a lot of fun doing it!

Okay, I have to ask...what's the "Watering Hole?" I saw the saw display at Nationals, but is there more to it than an elaborate display? Are they hiding the Chippendales behind that wooden wall?
default_laugh.png

Mominis, you are too funny. I don't believe there are chippendales hiding anywhere, but I think they have drinks for everyone and a nice area to relax and talk and have a fun time. I have never been there, but from other posts I think that's what it's all about.

Lots and lots of beverages designed for adults
default_wink.png
default_cheers.gif
default_cheers.gif

Okay, I have to ask...what's the "Watering Hole?" I saw the saw display at Nationals, but is there more to it than an elaborate display? Are they hiding the Chippendales behind that wooden wall?
default_laugh.png
Hehe - Mimi, did Mr.Squirt tell you a bunch of stories when you walked behind the wooden walls to visit with him :0 hahaha....

While it's a ton of work and stressful having so many horses showing at nationals.......the whole reason of it all is we all just like to have a good time and make our time with our friends fun! We welcome anyone to our stalls, we have "refreshments", peanuts, and we usually try to get the show up and going on a TV to watch from the stalls (this year the internet connection was not the greatest so couldn't get it going)

The wooden walls aren't put up to block anyone from viewing the horses - or isn't meant for that reason....during the day the back aisleways are open for viewing - but at night we shut up and sleep in our area to watch the kids..

oh and of course any "donations" from the watern' hole go directly toward the youth awards/trophies/ext...for the youth at the National show!!!!

Lots and lots of beverages designed for adults
default_wink.png
default_cheers.gif
default_cheers.gif
And I thought "peanut rollers" were only western pleasure Quarter Horses! Didn't realize they'd crossed over to the mini world too! Were they referring to the Western Country Pleasure driving class entries? Because as far as I know, there's no Western Pleasure classes for mini's...

Becky

And I thought "peanut rollers" were only western pleasure Quarter Horses! Didn't realize they'd crossed over to the mini world too! Were they referring to the Western Country Pleasure driving class entries? Because as far as I know, there's no Western Pleasure classes for mini's...

Becky
What?????????? I must have misseda huge part of the conversation somewhere lol

Very amusing and overall right on with your observations. This was the second nationals I've attended having yet to hit the show ring myself but this year I was more involved in getting horses ready. I learned a lot from the year before and found overall everyone very helpful and kind. But I do have to say some things I found odd and rather inconsiderate like the rooster in the barn lol. I personally can't wait til next year and to be in the show ring myself and whether I get the gate or not just the experience of showing our horses in that ring will be amazing.
aktion033.gif
wacko.gif
aktion033.gif

The persons comment about "peanut rollers" was concerning the Western Country class.

I was very surprised about the smoking. We would have asked them to leave at our shows.

I did have a great time and most folks were more than responsible.

I did not mean to imply that all of Tulsa was bad and that the people were all scary. There were a few strange folks out and about but not any more so than I have seen in other cities that size. We found some mighty fine food to eat while we were there.

Additional listings:

Some chariot drivers had allusions of grander. I thought there were rules against fake manes, tails, and other parts.

Toilet seats in Tulsa are never more than 12 inches off the ground.

The air conditioning is almost always on in the restrooms.

Fair food tastes the same here as there.

Cold beer taste good anywhere.

If I don't make it back next year, it won' t be because I was scared away or did not enjoy myself. I had great drives and I got beat by horses that had better drives that day. That what horse shows are all about.

Ron

thats ok Becky I just thought I tuned out for a while and when I came back in the channel had changed LOL

Nationals is a great place to be the showing is secondary almost... being able to spend so much time with so many others from all over who have the same passion for the breed ... well totally priceless!

Some chariot drivers had allusions of grander. I thought there were rules against fake manes, tails, and other parts.
Are you saying the drivers wore fake manes and tails???
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wink.png
Or just the horses had those and the drivers had the 'other parts'? I don't even want to know what other parts those might be! <I hope you weren't peeking under some togas???>
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back