NW Beach Drive 2007

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
After I broke my elbow I wasnt sure if I would even be able to make the annual beach drive as a "spectator", much less drive this year, but my arm is healing quite well (thankfully!) and I decided to go up with my daughter Taylor for the day today. We got up to Longview, WA. about 11 am (3 hour drive for me...with a Starbucks/potty stop, of course...lol). Leia (Hobbyhorse23) was there with Spyder and Kody, Daryl (BigDogsSmallHorses...sorry Daryl if I just butchered your name, but its midnight here and I'm fried...lol) was there with his mare Dancer and the manufacturer of the Hyperbike, Bob Graham was there with his family. Liz (Nootka) with Colton and Brandon in tow, showed up soon after with CherryBomb and Mouse. Kari came by for a short visit, too. We had to wait for the tide to go out, so we sat around BSing and ate some lunch, courtesy of the Grahams! We set up some screened tents, which helped keep us out of the afternoon sun. Late in the afternoon, everyone tacked up and took the horses out to play in the field and on the dirt (sand) road...and I got to try out the Hyperbike for the 1st time, using Liz's older model. Bob was very helpful and informative with the carts and I learned a lot about how they are built and work. We "rested" for a bit afterwards, then decided to head out to the beach around 5:30 pm. The whole day had been gorgeous...very warm and sunny...very little wind until the late afternoon. When we got to the beach, it was sunny, but windy and chilly! Liz drove Mouse, Daryl drove Dancer, I drove CB and Leia started out riding Spyder (who, btw, is a gorgeous 30 yr old Arab...I just met him today!!). Driving on the beach is like nothing else...the horses like it (well, except getting too close to the scary waves..lol) and the weather was almost perfect!! Taylor and I took turns driving CB and taking pics (explanation about the pics at the end). I have to say that after trying out the 2 different models of Hyperbikes, I like the backed seat a lot better (newer model). We were out there for quite awhile and it was getting pretty nippy out. After Leia traded Spyder for driving Kody, taking more pics and chatting with people who stopped to see the "ponies", we decided to call it a day. I decided to head home from there instead of going back to camp with the group. With a short dinner/potty stop, we were home by 11 PM!! Long day, but A LOT of fun!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

OK, MY storytelling skills are NOT like Leia's or Susanne's, but I'm sure Leia will include her version when she gets back, as well as Liz and maybe Daryl. Not sure what happened to Susanne...she was going to be there in the afternoon, so maybe she'll post here, too.

LOTS of pics are in the works to be posted soon...Taylor was one of the photographers as well as Leia and Bob (using Leia's camera). Taylor won't have access to a computer to upload and edit pics until Monday and I know Leia won't be back until Sunday sometime. So, I apologize for posting this without pics, but there will be many to share when we get them uploaded!! Stay tuned...

Now, I am headed to bed....zzzzzzzzz........

EDITED: PIC LINK:

Beachdrive pics

Username: Starfire61687

Password: beachdrive

Then click on :9-08-07 (at the top left in the sub albums)

There are 100 pics!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that sounds like so much fun!!!!!!!!!!! I am envious! Had hoped to get Mr Falcon there to get him used to more driving. But I have two sets of people coming to visit today,,, need to get to the feed store and get ready for work. I hooked up my trailer the other day and my wiring will not work. Could it be the plug on my car was dragged on the ground all the way from Oregon a couple weeks ago???? Darn it.

Have a great time and cant wait for more stories and pictures!!!

Yes, it was fun and I'm headed back over for more.

susanne and Keith showed up late last night and we all sat around the fire and yakked 'til I finally bugged out about 10:45 to get the boys in bed and feed the horses.

I just wish we could make this a week or so and had access to nicer facilities for this time of year (a little cold for most to be camping out).

Beautiful sunset on the beach, and well....I won't divulge the details of the bits of bad luck, but we're all in one piece and it had nothing to do with driving the horses. He he. There MAY even be pictures somewhere....floating around.

Daryl's mare, Dancer, is so beautiful and I have never seen Spyder look so beautiful himself. I can't wait to see the pics of him.

Liz

Can't wait for the pictures.

Since it was DS b-day weekend..he really wanted to go to Shrewsbury faire..so that is where we went yesterday. Had a wonderful time.

Sadly not up to going to the beach drive today.....though I wish!!

Missed meeting in person Linda again...and Bob....

Hope everyone is having fun and we will have lots of pictures to look at!!!

Shari...sorry you couldnt make it out to visit on Saturday!

Pics coming soon....promise! :saludando:

He he, it was great, and I think I understand better about "contact" as we had a little driving training session (mostly for me), and I even got to try out a newer style Hyperbike, and meet the man who built mine, after all these years.
default_smile.png
He and his family are great.

I had to leave kind of early as the boys were getting overheated and I was crashing hard from all the heat and sand and not eating the best food all weekend. *LOL* I still had a lot to do when I got home.

I did not take one picture, but I know Leia, Daryl, Bob and even a new friend named Joe did. Guessing we'll be awash in pics shortly.

Liz

Sounds like it was an eventful and fun drive!!!

I fully intended to come by again Sat. evening, but after being trapped by "Dakota Bob" and his harmonica
default_unsure.png
: , I needed some car-watching to soothe me. Before I knew it it was time to head out!

I look forward to pics and stories!!!

Kari

*rubs hands together gleefully* Oh, do tell, Kari, who is Dakota Bob...
default_smile.png

Oh, and you left your apple streusel bagels there. Now I have three of them, and at least one has your name on it. Jeeesh.

Was good seeing you though!

Liz

default_eat.gif
: My bagel! My bagel! Guess we gotta meet-up sometime. :bgrin

Dakota Bob..... *shudder* seemed to think I needed to cheer up and so he cornered me, with his long orange/hot pink dreads, pot-belly, and beard. I'll admit, the harmonica was good, but the presentation scarred me. Perhaps for life.

SPANISH Mustang Joe caught me, too.

Kari

You guys always have so much fun.......

Next year is going to be a totally 'normal' year and

I'm going to come down, too........ I'm actually half

way close now. I think it's like 75 miles from

Montesano to Long Beach......

Sonds like we need to hear more about your 'beach

companions' LOL

nootka said:
*rubs hands together gleefully* Oh, do tell, Kari, who is Dakota Bob...I'm wondering if he's as fun as Mustang Joe, who cornered me a couple times, and Leia more often than anyone. At least she got a ride out of it. Hee hee!Oh, and you left your apple streusel bagels there. Now I have three of them, and at least one has your name on it. Jeeesh.

Liz
Now, now, be nice. Spanish Mustang TOM (at least I could swear he told me his name was Tom) was very nice. And he's also online, so mind your manners. :nono: (Besides, he got some great pictures of Cherry Bomb running and I just happen to have gotten them. You owe him! They're better than what I got.) I just made the mistake of knowing the difference between a Paso, a Kiger, and a Spanish Mustang and he got all excited. It was worth the time lost for goofing off with my own horses though, I sure had fun trying out Eusadio! I was sort of pleased that my seat is still decent and I could get him to sidepass and spin when his owner couldn't. Apparently I haven't lost my touch. Thanks Mom! LOL

I can't believe that I never got a single bagel. Sunday was a BAD day for me from start to finish, about the only thing that went right was Liz's lesson and riding Eusadio. Missing the bagels just added insult to injury!

Leia

See?? I seemed to have missed some excitement on Sunday....next year, I will stay over (and I guess I could have...my tent was in my trunk...LOL!) OK, I'm off to email Taylor to tell her to get those pics uploaded ASAP for us!!

BTW, Liz...thank you again for letting me use CB..she is a fun horse to drive...even tho we had a few minor problems...lol...and my arm hurts from using it too much...(totally worth it tho!!!!)

What, he told me his name was Joe during one of his stories. I thought he was actually very nice, and I appreciated him taking the time to find out about OUR horses, but dangit I got sunburned during one of our conversations though I'll admit Mouse was mostly fine about standing around during, which he usually isn't.

I just always feel bad trying to segue into leaving when I do want to talk to someone, and I did appreciate his beautiful horse (hope someone got some good pics of you on your wild Mustang he he).

I figured you had his email, and I"m sorry we didn't get more time to hang out but I DID and DO appreciate the driving help, and I know Mouse probably does, too. All future RH driving horses do, matter of fact, and probably none more than little Pyro, who was quite angry when I pulled in with the two objects of his desire; mom and big brother, and didn't even bother to put it on the calendar that they would be "out of town" without him for two days! You could tell, btw, that that was what it was about. It was bigger than the lack of access to milk and chew toy, it was the fact that he didn't go for the first time in his little life. He plainly said "YOU FORGOT SOMETHING TWICE, DUMMY!"

*LMAO*

It really sounds like the harmonica man was a true trial, while our friend with the Spanish Mustang was really friendly and helpful and the type of person everyone hopes to get to know better, it was just hard to find the time to do justice to it and more about how badly I felt for having to abbreviate every conversation. Besides, anyone that camps with red wine and margarita mix is fine by me! Oh, and is obviously so kind to his horse.

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Liz

Wow,

What a fun weekend! I'll be working in the shop today trying to recover........... It was great to meet folks known for years but never "hung" with. Seems like there is never enough time to do all you want or spend as much time with folks you want to.

Susanne's "brainstorming" session with me revealed that we think along similar lines and have like ideas. It was neat to meet her husband Keith as well! It was nice to meet little Sophie and I do hope and pray to meet her under better health some time soon.

Liz is an amazing lady with two "actives". Her can-do way of things is very cool and I so enjoyed finally meeting her and Colton and Brandon. I also had been dying to see her rig after all these years.

It was nice meeting Linda and Taylor. Mount a rig and drive with a broken arm?......... No problem.......

Was REALLY cool to see Kari and Mom again. Bummer she wasn't driving this time, but was glad she came by!

Daryl and (my long time favorite horse) Dancer were hooked up and driving every time I turned around.

They looked comfortable finally and Daryl was gracious to let me drive her. Thank you!

And then there is Miss Leia. While it was a disappointing Sunday for her, I'm (as always) so glad she was there. Seems like I always learn so much from her and Kodeman. It was nice to see a 30 yr old horse that looked and functioned that well. Spyder is a very impressive horse for a "geezer".

Did I hear of another camping possibilty nearby before winter sets in?..............

It was fun for a city boy to see the stars again and then show those interested just how many stars there were that you couldn't normally see.

I am so grateful to have been included on this trip and would look forward to more.......

Warmest ALoha to one and all,

Bb

Yes, Bob, you have the coolest toys, but then you make some of those!

Like I said, I've always been impressed with your continued interest and care in anyone who purchases or ends up with one of your rigs.

I bought mine so long ago, and you're STILL there and you are looking to see what's working and what's not.

Oh....here's that pic if you wanna right click and save or I'll email you if you prefer. I could probably find the original and scan it. This was before we had digital (I think it's 2001, I was pregnant with Brandon at the time) and it may well be a hard copy I will have to rescan for better quality.

trigslougha.jpg

Ok, I came back to look, having hung around w/helpful "Miss Leia" and yes, my left hand is up in the air, and I was likely driving with just my right hand, but the reins aren't just hanging there (Trigger a/k/a Mouse's maternal grandpa and Cherry's dad, was never that type of horse for slack reins. His grandson Pyro is following suit, and when he does wear a bit, I'm sure it's gonna be the exact same story.).

I LOVE my "oldie" but that's not to say I am not coveting a new version, as it was comfortable in different ways, I just love my "sporty" model so much.

Thank you for bringing the whole crew, was a pleasure to meet your family as well as yourself.

You really should have taken Cherry Bomber for a spin in that old 'bike, you know.
default_smile.png
Next time, you must.

Liz

Another year, another fantastic beach drive!

For Keith and me, what was planned as a long weekend turned into just late Saturday night and all day Sunday, but while our time was limited, the fun was plentiful.

Our original plans for the weekend changed drastically when our tiny Maltese/ToyPoodle, Sophie, who is diabetic, become gravely ill. I steeled myself for the worst and forewarned everyone that our participation in the beach drive was in doubt.

Sophie is a fighter, however, and our wonderful vet felt that despite her multiple health issues, we should see how she did over the weekend with anitibiotics, frequent small feedings and tons of love. She also felt that we should go ahead and take Sophie to the beach, so long as we could keep her from getting too hot or too cold. While we could possibly have made it down to Long Beach Friday night or Saturday morning, we decided to limit our travels with Sophie and left Saturday at dinnertime.

We also decided that, as much as we wanted to demonstrate Mingus' ground-driving skills and take advantage of the pool of driving knowledge gathered for this weekend, we needed to focus on Sophie and left Mingus at home for this trip.

We drove into the sunset, Sophie cradled on my lap with thhe remaining daylight and ethereal Celtic music adding a poignant cast to our emotions.

Astoria and the Astoria-Megler bridge are two of the most stunning sights on the Oregon/Washington coast, rivaling San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge. Astoria perches on a rocky promontory, overlooking the mouth of the mighty Columbia River as it meets Youngs Bay and the Pacific Ocean. We drove through one of our absolute favorite towns and crossed the bridge just as the last turquoise vestiges of daylight leave the sky is a surreal experience. The bridge quickly climbs high in the air to cross the shipping lanes, then drops nearly to river level for most of the distance, finally ending on Washington state's southwest corner.

We left our list of cell phone numbers at home, but my strange pattern memory allowed me to reconstruct Daryl's number and we let everyone know we were almost there. We missed Linda andTaylor, as well as Kari and her mom, but at least Liz, Brandon and Colton were able to stick around awhile longer to see us, and the camping contingent stayed awake. It sounds as if Kari may still have been watching the hot rods as we cruised along the drag in our distinctly unhip, rather tacky Corsica, having missed our turnoff.

Keith and I eventually pulled into the Peninsula Saddle Club (the local rodeo grounds) and saw a familiar truck and trailer at the corrals, and Leia pointed out the beach driver group tents and campfire. We stumbled in the darkness and at last sank into comfortable canvas chairs around the welcoming fire and enjoyed an evening of delightful conversation with Bob, wife Moni (sp?), Leia, Liz and Daryl before everyone headed off to their various sleep accomodations.

Keith and I usually travel in our trusty minivan, which makes a great camper when it isn't horse transport, but for this outing we chose to drive our Corsica. Keith assured me that we could sleep comfortably by folding down the back seats and sticking our feet into the trunk. This is quite true, so long as one is not as claustrophobic as I am. I gave it the college try, but as I slid my feet into the back, the trunk was simply to tight of a space and panic overwhelmed me. I ended up sleeping in the driver's seat, which was more convenient anyway for Sophie's bi-hourly feedings.

Beach driving on the Long Beach peninsula is limited to the hours before and after low tide, when the hard, wet sand provides good driving conditions. We had all discussed getting up early to take advantage of the 7 am low tide, but when we pulled ourselves out of our cramped quarters, nobody was moving toward the beach. Instead, we gabbed and enjoyed our various breakfasts (although coffee/espresso was sadly lacking...sorry, Bob, I just can't do instant!) and waited for Liz and the boys.

Although this was ostensibly a beach drive, we had a driving track right next to our camping spot and decided to make use of this for fun and education, with Leia offered driving tips. Keith got to try out a hyperbike and gained practical driving experience, thanks to Daryl letting him drive Dancer. I drove both Dancer and Cherry Bomb and practiced putting all that I 've learned through lessons, reading and discussion to practical use.

Both Cherry Bomb and Dancer are great fun to drive, both energetic and responsive. Unlike previous drives I've had with her, on this trip Cherry was unencumbered by a foal and felt free to trot out and even canter on the track, as well as to travel the rougher grounds. Dancer is a big, powerful girl who was not close to being tested on this easy drive.

I learned that, on a hyperbike, long reins are a challenge to keep safely tucked away, and that Bob needs to offer a short hyperbike whip, as one sits so close to the horse that ordinary driving whips practically reach the horse's nose.

I stayed out in the very unbeachlike hot sun much longer than is safe with my pale skin, and was rather dizzy as I helped unharness Dancer. I escaped into the shade of the wonderful screen tent that Liz had brought and guzzled cold water. Sophie was safe in the shade and really perked up when Colton (Liz's younger son) offered her cool water. Bob, Moni and their little boys gave her much appreciated attention, and soon young Caleb told me that Sophie was out of her bed. I turned around to see her actually standing, something she hadn't done in the last couple of days! Such TLC was obviously what our vet had in mind when she suggested that we go ahead with our plans!

Bob and I had a great discussion regarding marketing plans for the hyperbike, which turned into an exciting brainstorming session. Stay tuned as we develop these ideas!

Sadly, all good things must eventually come to an end, and so it was with the 2007 beach drive. We dismantled all of our tents, loaded the horses, and headed homeward, heads filled with wonderful memories and plans for future drives.

Shari, I hope you're still interested in hosting a drive in the not-too-distant future, as we all agreed that a once yearly drive is not enough and that your previous offer to come drive at your place sounds very inviting! (Nothing like putting you on the spot, huh?)

I'm sorry to have missed you and Keith, Susanne!

:aktion033: For Sophie!!! :aktion033:

Hopefully I can be a more active member of the group next year, and bring both Rudy and Gracie. She'll have a foal with her, but it shouldn't be a problem... Liz has done it for years with the Bomber!

Daryl? Leia? Write-ups!!

Kari

nootka said:
I thought he was actually very nice, and I appreciated him taking the time to find out about OUR horses, but dangit I got sunburned during one of our conversations though I'll admit Mouse was mostly fine about standing around during, which he usually isn't.
We actually succeeded in converting him. He told me that he'd never really thought about the minis much and if he had he would have been inclined to dismiss them, but he said "now that I can see that they're real 'using' horses, I admit I'm impressed! Those little guys are pretty cool."

(hope someone got some good pics of you on your wild Mustang he he).
They did!

I'm sorry we didn't get more time to hang out but I DID and DO appreciate the driving help, and I know Mouse probably does, too. All future RH driving horses do, matter of fact, and probably none more than little Pyro, who was quite angry when I pulled in with the two objects of his desire; mom and big brother, and didn't even bother to put it on the calendar that they would be "out of town" without him for two days! You could tell, btw, that that was what it was about. It was bigger than the lack of access to milk and chew toy, it was the fact that he didn't go for the first time in his little life. He plainly said "YOU FORGOT SOMETHING TWICE, DUMMY!"*LMAO*

Liz
:new_rofl: You should have brought the little squirt, I'm still curious what Spyder would have made of him. I could have had all three of my favorite redheads tied up at the trailer, chilling out doing nothing useful and bored out of their minds! :
default_rolleyes.gif
:: :lol: I apologize for not finishing your lesson, there were a couple things I really wanted to go over (like the wither thing) and didn't get the chance to and I was frustrated by that. Poor timing on the mustang thing! And then Spyder got stupid, and you all had to leave while I was away dealing with him, and it all just went downhill from there. ::sigh:: I WANT to get my hands on little Pyro. Can I buy half-interest in him and bring him up to my house for initial driving training when he's two and a half??
default_please.gif
: :538: Kody has definitely taught me the fine art of training independent, self-confident, too-smart little redheads and you've seen how he's turning out. I want a chance to match wits with Pyro and guide him the same way!

Anyway, this weekend didn't go the way I wanted it to but it was wonderful to see all of you. Bob's kids are a delight, either I'm finally learning how to talk to young'ins or they were simply very willing to make allowances for funny Miss Leia. (I kinda like that name!
default_blush.png
: ) Brandon and Colton were very sweet and polite about presenting the replacement Oreos, which of course I promptly shared with them as I now had enough for the road.
default_wink.png
: It was great to be surrounded by active kids, pretty horses, and bright intelligent friendly people all having a good time. I was so touched that Keith and Daryl thought to take down my canopy for me while I was gone on Sunday; it really made me feel cared about to know they had realized I couldn't do it by myself and made sure I wouldn't have to. I hadn't even thought about that, but they did! What a great group of friends. Linda's daughter Taylor took some great pictures and was a good sport about my desperate pleas to see them before she left, and I had fun watching Linda driving CB. I wish I'd gotten to talk to Kari more but at least I got in a couple of good chats with her at the State Fair. I missed Shari but again, I spent quite a bit of time with her at the Fair too. Liz and Monie were wonderful examples of can-do moms and both continue to amaze me with their competence in managing potential chaos with utter calm and an eye in the back of their heads while at the same time whipping up gourmet lunches or managing two driving horses. I want to be like them some day! Bob took some great photos for me and as usual was always there to help whenever anyone needed a hand, and the only thing I'd change about Susanne was having her there for longer so I could enjoy her company without the campfire smoke inhalation.
default_wacko.png
:

Next year we need to add Crabby Chickens, Equuisize, Triggy&Blue, Loren&Rocky (Loren would love having Brandon, Colton, Caleb, and Nano to play with! And he could share his very own ponies and their perfect little person saddles so nobody gets stuck trying to ride Kody bareback again
default_yes.gif
: ), and all the day-trippers need to bring horses and stay the night. The more the merrier! I don't think I'll be able to make another camping trip this year unless it was on my weekend off and I drove down without a horse just to visit and give lessons but I sure wish I could. There's nothing for it- I guess I just need to move down to Oregon!

Leia

Hubby told me last Sunday that he wants to have you all here, Since I keep missing all the fun!!!.

Only thing is... "all" of you have to brain storm to let me know what weekends work best. We are pretty much open.

The track is a little over grown but hubby said he would be more than happy to get it mowed!! Maybe even get that oval started too.

We could set up some temp Electric fence paddocks for those who need it.

Plenty places to pitch a tent for those that want to stay over night.

So just let me know.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back