NW Beach Drive 2007

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really hoping to be able to drive next year, and be able to offer my Grandma's beach house down there again.

Bill, you and Dee need to come!!!

Valerie, you need to come!!

Anyone else, ANYONE, is invited. We have a Yahoo Group (beachdrivers) where we hash out details.

Kari

quote]

Anyone else, ANYONE, is invited.

Absolutely -- This is such a great time, an amazing group of people, and a fun way to learn!

Hey Mary Lou...we can pick you up at the airport...we'd love to have you join us!

Kari, remember our offer still stands to help with any work on the beach house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice photos Leia!! Can't wait to see more!!
default_yes.gif
:

I haven't read this whole thread but just wanted to say, I wish I was there!! What fun!! I haven't been on here as much being busy and outside allot when the weather is nice. I wish I would have known about the get together :) I recently got 2 used Hyperbikes. :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: One is only a year old and like new with a blue seat and the other is about 6 or 7 years old and dosen't have the coil springs under the seat and is a red seat. I LOVE them!! I had wanted one when I first started driving some years ago but knew I needed something I could give my kids rides in. (course now they love to drive themselves!) My old place I was able to go around town in the bike lane (town grew up around us!) The new place out of town, nowhere to cart with the easy entries, so I have been loving having the hyperbikes to drive in the pastures and on my trails. I hope to check out some other trails close by (off my property, but will have to trailer there) and I would love to go on the beach!! I would have loved to seen Linda, Nootka/Liz and Susanne and met you others and visited and learned new stuff and had such fun driving on the beach with you all! Sorry I missed out. Maybe next time. Maybe you could post it on the NW minis yahoo group next time... Maybe you did and I missed it? I do usually get all the e-mails from there. I am going to read more of this thread!! I sure enjoyed all the pics!! Which beach was it??

:aktion033:

Sheri Hill

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheri, I am SO sorry you didn't know...we posted a thread on here and we have the beachdrivers yahoo group.

In addition to the yearly Long Beach drive, we're working on putting together more drives, including other beaches, Shari's driving course on her farm near Rainier, the Vernonia-Banks Trail, and more. And I know there are lots of good possibilities out your way in Clackamas County.

This is too much fun to only do once a year!

:aktion033: Great pictures.

A few of us are planning a beach drive next month in NH. :cheeky-smiley-006: I can't wait, I have always wanted to ride on the beach.

Do any of you that have done the drive think that an easy entry cart will be fine to use. Most of have those and I'm hoping the wheels will be ok.

In my experience, NO cart does well in soft, dry sand, and if you're in the water where the tide's moving, you have to be careful of sanding in/sinking, so stay moving yourself!

The best type of driving is hard, packed, damp sand with any cart.

We used to use Easy Entries, so I know you will be fine in that respect.

Bob did bring a new type of wheel, and it had wider tires which were less prone to sinking into the sand, instead staying on top of it, so it may just depend on the tires.

You can let some air out of your tires if any are having problems with sinking too deeply. This will give your tires a flatter profile, more width, too.

Liz

Hey Susanne... I have a pending sale on my blk Ice mare. If it goes through..will be having hubby take me over to Bob's place to see if he can make a hyper bike to deal with my issues. Would you want to come? Not sure when it will be but hopefully the last weekend of this month.

As I said,,would be more than happy to have folks over here for a get together.

Am also planning on checking out the logging road that is on the back of my place. Do have to drive down the road a bit to get access to it for the carts. Also going to check out the trails that are supposed to be near here and is wide enough for carts.

Sheri Hill said:
I recently got 2 used Hyperbikes. :aktion033:
default_wub.png
: One is only a year old and like new with a blue seat and the other is about 6 or 7 years old and dosen't have the coil springs under the seat and is a red seat. I LOVE them!!
Sheri Hill
Sheri, I'm wondering if what you've got are actually Hyperbikes (rather than regular sulkies) because as far as I know Bob has never used coil springs on his vehicles. Do you have pictures?

I'm going to go crazy if ya'll start having more get-togethers. I can't afford to drive six hours one way three or four times a year on top of all the shows, but I can't stand the thought of not being there! Eeek! More and more I keep thinking I need to move to Oregon, but I can't afford that either. ::sigh:: If you have a late fall get-together at Shari's let me know and I'll drive down without the horses to give lessons and hang out. Kody will be recovering from his surgery through October and November but I could bring my Hyperbike and borrow CB or maybe get to work with one of Shari's horses who isn't driving yet.

Kody's cute- when he sees the soft sand at the head of a beach approach he pricks his ears, picks up a fast trot, and when I give him permission he hits a gallop and tries not to stop until he reaches the hard sand on the other side!
default_thumbup.gif
: It only took him one attempt at a walk last year to figure out it's easier at speed and this year he's learned the CDE lesson of "If Mama tells me to power up, it's because there's something coming I'll need power for" so all I have to do is say "Hup!" when he flags and he's lunging hard again. :worshippy: Gooood pony. I think if I was using an easy entry or anything heavier I'd probably get out and walk behind the cart until we were on firm sand again just because he has enough trouble with the Hyperbike. Then again, Kody's tiny. :lol: You'll be fine with an easy entry. Just try to drive only at low tide so there's some solid sand to work on.

Leia

Well,, everyone has to let me know what the best weekends are for them...then we can go from there.

Susanne... wonderful!!! <VBG>

Leia... Kody & Surgery? :new_shocked: Is he going to be ok?

I will chime in and say he's going to be fine, it will be better than fine!

I'll let Leia fill in the details as I don't want to step on any toes, but it's something that will leave him in fine fettle.
default_smile.png

Liz

Oh, no great secrets here. Everyone knows about his locking stifles and I've been worrying all summer because this year they've gotten much worse and I think he's starting to get some changes in the bone that appear to be causing him pain. He's walking differently and throwing his back out constantly. It's time, so on October 19th he's scheduled to go in for the tendon splitting surgery to hopefully cure the locking. I've already gone through the freak-out phase and now am settling into a calm certainty that this is the right thing to do and a whole new world will open up for him and I when it's done. No more problems being stalled! No more hesitating to back up on a Bad Stifle Day! No more problems with lateral in-hand moves! No more PAIN! :aktion033: Kody can finally be a normal boy who doesn't have to use up half that big heart of his just deciding to move around his stall, knowing he's going to have to unlock himself when he does.

It wasn't so bad the first few years and exercise helped a lot, but this year it isn't enough anymore. It's time.

Leia

Hey Leia,

I think you moving to Oregon is a great solution! And just so you know, Columbia County, while not at all fashionable, is relatively inexpensive, very much horse country, and a short commute to Portland or Longview for work...

Not to try to influence you or anything!

Oh I want to come next year. Looks like you guys had a blast :aktion033: :aktion033:

Hey Leia,

I think you moving to Oregon is a great solution! And just so you know, Columbia County, while not at all fashionable, is relatively inexpensive, very much horse country, and a short commute to Portland or Longview for work...

Not to try to influence you or anything!
Now there is a wonderful idea Susanne!!
default_yes.gif
:

I am still beating myself up for this one...I sure wish I could have gone thats for sure. Sounds like you all had a blast and the pictures are just so neat. Next year the lil one will be here by then and I am sure I will be able to manage being out there. This year has been pretty tough for me not making out and doing anything. 3 shows didn't even do the job for me. Next year should be something since by the time the weather gets nice and everything Alexis the unborn LOL will be here and almost 6 months old by then. Hehe. Looks like I am going to be heading out on my own thats for sure next year since Josh my hubby has head lots of things that he's going to be deploying to Iraq by June of next year. So I think I might just have to convoy with someone around.LOL. But next year I have high hopes that I will make it out and about to meet you all. And the beach drive is defintly on my list of events :D Glad you all had fun thats for sure.

Latest posts

Back