Now what...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a mare from our local auction company. Her papers were guarenteed but were still at AMHR office at the time of sale, so the lady who consigned her faithfully sent them to the auction company. However, I keep calling the auction company to get my papers, they tell me continuously that they will call back because the papers are in the mail. They recieved them early Nov late Oct from the lady who consigned the horse.

We paid cash for her, and we have everything we need to get her papers as is, but saving that extra money to get the 20 dollars for duplicate certificate is everything espeically because I am a youth and I pay for everything myself.

My dad called the auction company today , and told them they have 10 days to get the papers here or they will be getting a letter from the lawyer to get full payment back for my mare. This mare is really special to me, I've had her for well at least 3 months now, I have put hours and hours into training her, and really do not want to see her go. She is too special,

now what do I do? I really want to keep her,

Personally, I would have went up to the auction house a LONG time ago. Since you said it was a local auction, wouldn't it be east to go up there and see the manager?

Good luck!

Life can get really frustrating. Sometimes patience and perseverence pay off. Don't give up yet. If all else fails, $20 for a duplicate certificate may be easier than the trouble and better than giving up your mare. Good luck.

Personally, I would have went up to the auction house a LONG time ago. Since you said it was a local auction, wouldn't it be east to go up there and see the manager?
Good luck!

The auction is a good 3-4 hours from me, and they keep telling me they are in the mail, along time ago.

too frustrating.
default_sad.png

BY ANY CHANCE DOES THE SELLER HAVE COPIES OF HER PAPER WORK? IF SHE DOES AND IT HAS HER REG. NUMBER OR FARM AND REG PAPER WORK, YOU CAN CALL AMHR AND SEE IF THE PAPER WORK WAS DONE AND WHEN, AND WHERE SENT. YOU HAVE TO GET IN THEIR FACES AND MAKE A LOT OF NOISE, AND DON'T STOP. BAD PUBLICITY(SP) IS NOT WHAT THEY WANT. BELIEVE ME IT WORKS. GOOD LUCK

YOU HAVE TO GET IN THEIR FACES AND MAKE A LOT OF NOISE, AND DON'T STOP. BAD PUBLICITY(SP) IS NOT WHAT THEY WANT. BELIEVE ME IT WORKS. GOOD LUCK
I've got to disagree with this statement. "Getting in their face" often tends to alienate people who would otherwise be inclined to be helpful. IF the papers were indeed mailed more than two weeks ago, they are most likely lost in the mail. Nothing the auction house or the registry can do about that. In that case, getting the seller to file for a duplicate certificate is the best you can do. Good luck. I hope you can get them.

YOU HAVE TO GET IN THEIR FACES AND MAKE A LOT OF NOISE, AND DON'T STOP. BAD PUBLICITY(SP) IS NOT WHAT THEY WANT. BELIEVE ME IT WORKS. GOOD LUCK
I've got to disagree with this statement. "Getting in their face" often tends to alienate people who would otherwise be inclined to be helpful. IF the papers were indeed mailed more than two weeks ago, they are most likely lost in the mail. Nothing the auction house or the registry can do about that. In that case, getting the seller to file for a duplicate certificate is the best you can do. Good luck. I hope you can get them.

they were xposted with tracking number... like 2 months ago, and everytime i call ouh t here was a messup we got them in the mail again and I double check this time to make sure the information was right... she has told me this at least 4 times,
default_unsure.png

they were xposted with tracking number... like 2 months ago, and everytime i call ouh t here was a messup we got them in the mail again and I double check this time to make sure the information was right... she has told me this at least 4 times,
default_unsure.png
I must admit, I don't know anything about the Canadian postal system. If there is a tracking number, you should be able to find out where they are.

default_unsure.png
I must admit, I don't know anything about the Canadian postal system. If there is a tracking number, you should be able to find out where they are.
yes, this company has told me MANY MANY MANY times taht they have tracked them and something happened but they got them back and now there in the mail again
default_no.gif

thanks for your input guys,

we figured something out here... I just wont ever buy a horse from this auction center again.
default_unsure.png

lf the auction house has a tracking number then the mail would be certified or registered for a small fee so it can be tracked by whoever has the number. Regular mail there is no tracking# and if the addy is not correct it goes back to whoever sent it out. lf there is a tracking number you are also made aware it can't be delivered because the addy is not correct so someone should be picking up on that if they keep mailing it. But after as many times as you said it's in the mail l would think it probably never was send to begin with...

I believe you said you paid cash and therefore the papers are to be given to the buyer at the sale, as is the practice at that particular auction.

The horse was likely "on application" and therefore the consignor was waiting for the papers at time of sale.

If the consignor received the papers and sent them on to the Auction house, then when theAuction house mailed them priority post, which is what they say they do, they would have a trace number and you can follow them on the web.

If the consignor did forward the papers then we can check the registry to verify if indeed that horse was recently registered.

Either they sent them and they can provide you with the trace number, or you are "boarding" a horse for them and training it at the very reasonable cost of 200.00 per month, from date of sale, which includes your farrier work and any vet cost.

If you do get the papers and have late charges etc then I am sure the Auction house would be pleased to reimburse you.

The little one that I got from the sale I am assuming you got yours from was from SK and her papers weren't at the sale either (they were in transit from either AMHR or the owner's home), but guaranteed (I got a photocopy of her papers so I knew everything should be okay). They arrived about a month or so later so the problem getting yours must be a fluke. After all this time, I would probably suck it up and request a duplicate certificate from AMHR and then transfer her into your name (again I am assuming your girl is like mine that you got photocopy of her registration and a signed transfer slip etc..). I know that it doesn't necessarily feel like you should have to do that but in the long run it is probably the easiest way and then think of it all as a learning experience. That's how/where I learned never to buy a horse that is sold on application-took almost a year to get my first guy registered!!

If you paid cash for the horse, why didn't the seller just get your name and address and mail the papers straight to you instead of sending them to the auction company? Once they get their cut of the sale the rest really doesn't matter to them, I would say like all sales any problems are between the buyer and seller. They just provide a way for the seller to sell the horse. I would get the contact info for the seller and deal with them now. If the papers ever show up and you have already gotten a duplicate, just destroy the older papers and let AMHR know.

If you paid cash for the horse, why didn't the seller just get your name and address and mail the papers straight to you instead of sending them to the auction company? Once they get their cut of the sale the rest really doesn't matter to them, I would say like all sales any problems are between the buyer and seller. They just provide a way for the seller to sell the horse. I would get the contact info for the seller and deal with them now. If the papers ever show up and you have already gotten a duplicate, just destroy the older papers and let AMHR know.

Hi thanks for your input guys...

we asked the lady to send the papers to us, however since they were guarenteed then they had to go through the auction company so I couldn't come back on them and say I didn't get papers...

we sent the auction company a bill for her board, training, vet and farrier fees... remarkablely enough, her papers showed up!

She was not from SK, she was from PEI.

bad 1st experience buying from an auction center....

I guess you have to learn somehow.

but i got my papers at last

thanks for the input everyone
default_smile.png

I bought a horse at I assume that auction barn and same thing. I kept phoning and emailing them and she kept saying there was a mixup, then there was another reason and so on but I finally did get them about 6 or 7 mths later when I went to their next auction and she handed me his papers.

After that I just made sure I went to the office and asked if the papers where there for the horse I was looking at to buy and they where and the owner had signed them so I bought the horse.

Just keep after them dont give up a horse you love for the sake of $20 dollars and get in contact with the previous owner and if she has received her money for the horse you know the auction received the papers.

Cathy

I bought a horse at I assume that auction barn and same thing. I kept phoning and emailing them and she kept saying there was a mixup, then there was another reason and so on but I finally did get them about 6 or 7 mths later when I went to their next auction and she handed me his papers.After that I just made sure I went to the office and asked if the papers where there for the horse I was looking at to buy and they where and the owner had signed them so I bought the horse.

Just keep after them dont give up a horse you love for the sake of $20 dollars and get in contact with the previous owner and if she has received her money for the horse you know the auction received the papers.

Cathy
Yes , i know, but sometimes what dad says goes...

I dont have much say, but happy my papers came today. I had many people p.m. me about the same issue with this auction so its not just us,

but happy the papers FINALLY CAME

Latest posts

Back