Nothing truly important, but this really bugs me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
No offense, but who in the world came up with this dorky idea?

I know that breed show driving has very little to do with carriage driving, but nonetheless, a lot could be learned from fine carriage turnout. These stupid shiny, strapless, trashy dresses really undermine and detract from the beautiful horses.

...and then to see middle-aged women doing this is downright laughable! I can't imagine these women wearing such a get-up at the most formal occasion...partly because such a dress would be completely out of place...so why in the show ring?

Barf-o-bits!!

No offense, but who in the world came up with this dorky idea?

I know that breed show driving has very little to do with carriage driving, but nonetheless, a lot could be learned from fine carriage turnout. These stupid shiny, strapless, trashy dresses really undermine and detract from the beautiful horses.

...and then to see middle-aged women doing this is downright laughable! I can't imagine these women wearing such a get-up at the most formal occasion...partly because such a dress would be completely out of place...so why in the show ring?

Barf-o-bits!!
OH come on susanne...you know you want to wear a big flowing bubble-gum pink taffeta dress with hoops and elbow length white silk gloves and then drive that mingus around in his black leather :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin I can picture it now ooohhh I left out your oversized hat
default_wink.png
:

maybe it is a horsey thing with an undertone.. :bgrin you know leather and lace, whips and chains, saddles and hobbles
default_whistling.gif
:
default_whistling.gif
:
default_whistling.gif
:

or it is a chance to play dressup
default_wink.png
:

Heehee, Rori! yeah...that's what I really want!

Of course, I should be fair and point out that many women in carriage driving end up looking like the queen mum!\ or the queen herself! (sorry jane/rabbitsfizz)

Because they're what cost $10 at the thrift store, of course! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't you know? Ladies Pleasure classes are were old bridesmaids dresses go to die.

Last edited by a moderator:
snork......this is taking a downward spiral fast :bgrin :bgrin

Didn't you know? Ladies Pleasure classes are were old bridesmaids dresses go to die

I second Rori's snork!!

So the brides don't lie when they say they want to choose bridesmaid's dresses that can be worn again!!

Yes, I've noticed the trend. Wondering, though, as fashion-challenged as I am, what WOULD look good in these classes?

Also have to wonder what would happen/what would it look like if there were (forbid) a bit of a tip over or something in some of those dresses...

default_rolleyes.gif
:

Liz

At least AMHR no longer allows strapless dresses--not since someone jiggled out of her dress the one year. No indecent exposure allowed--the line is drawn at "dorky".

I wouldn't mind the evening dress so much, but some of them do get a little too flamboyant. And definitely there are some women that shouldn't wear sleeveless :eek:

A tipover? :new_shocked: Hopefully everyone is wearing something under their dresses.... :lol:

Personally I think a nice elegant blouse with pants & a driving apron looks as nice as anything.

It's because the show ring does not neccessarily follow ''tradition''. It is (across many breeds, at least) common for the exhibitors in evening classes to dress ''FORMAL'' so to many that means ''prom dresses'' for the women. It's a horse SHOW. SHOW. More going around the arena, and not a working class, really, like traditional carriage events are.

That's why, since you asked.

Andrea

And definitely there are some women that shouldn't wear sleeveless :eek:

Actually there is almost no one who should wear sleeveless. Only the absolute skinniest people dont have a that little place under their bicep area that jiggles when driving... and thats never attractive lol. All it usually takes is one time of seeing a video of a class to leave you going "aaargh" and adjusting your wardrobe accordingly.

Until going to a mini show I had never seen anyone go formal dress while in a 2 wheel cart.
default_unsure.png
:

I agree with the first post.Some of the outfits look like cheap hookers trying to drum up business.At the AMHA Nationals in 1997 in Lexington,VA there were a bunch of us up in the stands taking bets to see if something would pop out of 1 of the strapless prom gowns.I bet the Thrift stores love the business when it is time for the Mini driving classes.Driving classes had their origin from Victorian times and the naes of the classes should be a clue as to proper attire.Pleasure Driving was after church or other times and usually in the cities in one of the nice parks.Central Park in New York,Hyde Park in London etc.Horses were high stepping and attire was fancy but very little skin showing since ladies were very proper.Country Pleasure was out in the country and not quite so fancy-atttire,horses, or carriages.This is just my opinion and I love to see a classy nicely turned out driving class with a hat a must in Pleasure Driving.

i know you guys are just joking but remember there are probably a lot of those ladies here on the forum that wear those dresses and are reading this. The "hooker" comment is kinda hard to read
default_smile.png

you cannot compete in amhr in a strapless dress.

i have seen some women in dresses that looked stunning. One is snowberry farms wife. She dresses to the nines and looks beautiful. And yes its sleeveless. And i have seen bigger women who likewise looked great to me.

now having said all that you will never see kay in a dress LOL. maybe a skirt but not a dress. :lol:

As a musician, and as one formerly i involved in live theatre, I definitely understand SHOW. This ain't it, trust me! This is tacky, plain and simple. Sorry, but shiny, tawdry dresses says nothing but tacky, in my opinion.

If evening attire is called for, I think something more on the line of what you would wear to your office holiday party would be more appropriate.

I think an elegant simplicity is called for...such as a long, equestrian-style jacketin a solid color complimentary to the horse, slit at the sides for comfort and so that it falls nicely in a cart, with a long skirt or dressy pants and laprobe, would look classy. I could really picture this with a simple small hat, perhaps with a 40s style net/veil.

Ladies Pleasure classes are were old bridesmaids dresses go to die.

LMAO! Sorry, that is too funny! :lol:

It would get mighty windy if I ever drove sleeveless with all that flapping my arms would be doing! LOL!

I happen to love to see the ladies wear hats
default_yes.gif
:

well there ya go I dont think it is tacky at all. IN fact I think many of these women look beautiful and it always is so funny to see them running around in beautiful (most of them) dresses and boots

I personally can think of many off hand who look very pretty and certainly not tacky or like hookers

remember the look is supposed to be FORMAL along wih the guys many of whom are wearing tails

Actually many of the ladies look fabulous.........................I have searched and searched but cannot find the photos I was looking for............................

back in the great pony heyday...................the children used to wear formal attire and the dresses were so HUGE as to make it look like the ponies were pulling a float..................man I wish I could find those pics...the turnouts were amazing.................tiny little kids driving these ponies with boys in tux with tails and girls in these unbelievable dresses......................

I agree with the no dress thing. I think it is really stupid. If somebody ever did get in a bad wreck how do you come out of that ok??? I went to Nationals once. I HATE wearing dresses but I did it. I would love it if they changed the rule but I won't rely on it. I won't be going back to Nationals either. It was sooooooo not worth wearing that stupid dress.

outlaw

My mother and I were at a show, some years ago, watching a friend in Single Pleasure driving. She looked very nice in her long dress.
default_yes.gif
:

When she exited the arena and got out of the cart we almost died laughing, as under her dress she was wearing jeans and sneakers. :new_shocked: :lol: :lol:

Robin

I think it looks AWFUL!!!

You will never see it here, I promise, no dresses, and a very discrete "apron" if used at all.

Much as I enjoyed watching the classes I personally find the "fancy dress" aspect of the Ladies very distracting.

You are supposed to be judging the horse and, if it is a turnout class it is "Turnout" not "Fancy Dress"!!

Oooh...I have been LONGING to say that!!!

If these silly dresses have to be worn, tone it down ladies, please!!!

Or have a separate class??

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't like the tweedy look I find it dowdy and looking old... Some of them wear what my nearly 90 year old grandmother would consider to old for her....

We have a mixture of it all here in NZ.....

Latest posts

Back