Nothing truly important, but this really bugs me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nootka said:
Also have to wonder what would happen/what would it look like if there were (forbid) a bit of a tip over or something in some of those dresses...
Two words: WARDROBE MALFUNCTION! :new_shocked: :risa_suelos:

susanne said:
I could really picture this with a simple small hat, perhaps with a 40s style net/veil.
Now Susanne, even that's crossing lines of appropriateness! :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
: Did you know there are actually rules about what type of turnouts may or may not be driven veiled?
default_wacko.png
: It is considered of the utmost formality so it would be totally inappropriate in a Country Pleasure class. I'm not even sure it would be correct for Single Pleasure as you aren't using demure gloves and a patent collar and hames.

Other than that I am staying far away from this topic. I do believe many ladies look very fine floating around the ring in Single Pleasure or Park in the evening in their beautiful dresses. Some do go too far. I find it a bit absurd for Country Pleasure however I haven't watched those classes at Nationals and do not know if the dress code prevails there as well. The tweedy look isn't any better for the show ring and can definitely be taken too far in ADS competition, as can the awful Dumpy Old Lady look even by those who are neither dumpy or middle aged.

I know I personally have great difficulty putting together a good outfit. I can recognize it on others but trying to see the same thing hanging in separates on a store rack...well.... :no:

I guess what is "tasteful" depends on the circumstance, the body type, and the panache to carry it off. I've seen some stunning outfits at both ends of the spectrum when good taste is applied!

Leia

P.S.- Love the bridesmaid dress comment. :lol:

awk now jane you know your dying to wear a dress :bgrin i bet youve got one hid in your wardrobe and take it out now and again and drive rabbit round that field of yours hehehehe :lol:

seriuosly though,over here we have side saddle classes were the ladies are dressed in victorian style, with top hats and a veil, a long skirt and a fitted jacket, and i think it looks beautiful
default_yes.gif
:

jane have you no pictures of it? or picture of the way our carriage ladies dress?

its very simple but look s lovley

i have to say that thi s is one of the funniest threads ive read on hear, i bet everyone dying to say whats REAlLY on there mind lol....its good light relief

Well, I actually like the way it looks to be all that dressed up for driving! It's just the total, complete oposite of how I (and most of us, I'm sure) normally look when doing horse things. Sometimes I feel like I cannot even LOOK at a horse w/o getting dirty. So, I just think it's really neat to dress up formal and have the horse, cart and harness so fancy and nice. I like the evening attire for driving.

And, remember, not all prom dresses or brides maids dresses are "tacky" at all! The dress I wore in my sister's wedding is really pretty and simple, not all ruffly and fluffy
default_smile.png

As to prom, I didn't go but if I had, it was going to be with my best friend (Jason) and I'd have worn a black dress, spikey jewelry, and a biker's jacket! These days, I'd probably pick something different for driving, even when it's just in my own back yard :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we should apologise to some of the ladies on here that do dress up like this!!

I think it looks awful ...for driving..I think I should have said- if I met some of these women at a formal do- and I would be the Hobbit in trousers at such an occasion by the way- No , Lynda, I do not actually own a dress!!- I would think they looked very classy.

I just think it looks totally out of place in the driving ring- I had never even considered the safety aspect (which is unusual for me) but, Yes, I agree- where is the sense in a Society that insists on the use of a checkrein on alleged safety grounds and then encourages people to wear clothes that are not only inappropriate (PLEASE tell me when you would ever be seen dead dressed like that for driving, other than the show ring-) but also a potential danger- as are the over long tails I saw sported at World.

I have Rabbits tail trailing the ground, so I am NOT pointing a finger- I love long tails but, like some of the dresses, in driving they are a potential very severe danger.

So, apologies Lady Drivers for suggesting you look awful- I meant solely as drivers, not as snappy dressers!!!

this probably is the wrong thing to say.......but this thread is so funny....

i cant tell you the images being conjured up in my brain right now......

having never seen any of these classes i am imagining what these dresses look like.....and i,ll tell you.. it looks funny(where bridesmaid dresses go to die)...he..he...he

they cant be too practical though....what about hems dragging in poop when you get off the cart.....and what if your hem came down and got caught in a wheel or something like that......

i agree with shane!!..i really like the victorian style side saddle dress.....i also think jodpurs and show jackets look nice...........but then maybe thats what we are used to seeing over here in europe........

americans do seem to be alot more flamboyant.

Come on guys, i love the look. Its so classy and pretty.

I've been saving my homecoming dresses from the past 4 years just for driving which i will be showing in 08'. There long and not poofy, but have some glitz and glam to them.

I think it is so pretty. At they ohio world show they had this one lady who i think was kind of young who had on a poofy prom dress and the way she had her hair and gloves just made it look like she just stepped out from a ballroom lol.

I like it though
default_smile.png

and believe me when i say, you dont get less dressy then me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am another you will never get in a dress or even a skirt for that matter. However I do think most of the time it looks nice. However I do not like when people ware dresses at the local shows in the middle of the afternoon. Did somebody forget to tell them you are not supposed to wear them before 5pm?

That said yes most of them do ware jeans and approprate shoes underneith them. That is a very smart idea and its almost common sense to do so in case of a accident.

they cant be too practical though....what about hems dragging in poop when you get off the cart.....and what if your hem came down and got caught in a wheel or something like that......

this is why most people buy the dresses at the thrift store. Who wants to go buy an 800.00 outfit to wear in a horse show knowing it will get ruined eventually.

Arab shows have the part where you and your horse dress up in arabian costume. I think its beautiful. Is it practical?? No way. Do these people dress like that at home riding their arabs? no way. I guess alot of people could say it looks silly or inappropriate. its a SHOW.

I have seen men show in halter in neon colored jackets. Probably not what they would wear out to dinner. But it does draw your eye in the ring because it stands out. And a good handler will always try to draw the judges eye to them. Because after they look at the neon jacket we are hoping they are then looking at the horse.

I wonder how many posting here have ever shown in pleasure driving. If you have pls post pics so we all know what is appropriate to wear.

does anyone here actually watch the horse in driving class?? :lol:

just want to say i have never shown in driving but am hoping to next year.

Sorry, I do think the Mini driving people could take pointers from the big morgan shows when it comes to dress; the Morgan ladies tend to wear suits--pant suits with or without driving apron--for regular classes and day time showing--the jackets are dressy and the drivers look classy. Some wear blouses rather than jackets.

Formal dresses are kept for evening classes, or they are appropriate in afternoon championship classes.

I do give credit to the Morgan driving exhibitors for being appropriately attired and looking classy and "dressed up" in the ring, even when they aren't in formal gowns. And I have to say, when they do formal, it doesn't mean poofy dresses that anyone would say look silly. Their look is understated elegance.

You've made some good points Kay. I showed Arabs for years, and one of my favorite classes was the Native Arab Costume class. I think the key to it is to try to strive for the beautiful, or classy, or TASTEFUL in whatever class we're competing in. The whole point is to draw attention to your horse, YOU are basically an accessory. I've seen beautiful Arabs being shown by a rider decked out like a belly-dancer. Was that rider the proper accessory for that horse and occasion? Of course not. Have fun with the formal, or costume, or whatever class your preparing for, be theatrical if that's your style, but temper it all with a little common sense.

Many, many years ago when driving was just getting started a very good friend of mine would go to a costume make and have absolutely stunning, well fitted and very detailed costumes made for her to drive in - a lot of "period" materials such as tafetta and silk, a lot of velvet trim & lace & embroidery, lots of pearls & beading - the colors were subdued - think dark blue or a very rich red wine color w/velvet trim & brocade, long sleeves very fitted bodice & full skirt but no hoops or too much "flounce"-- much as you would think of Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady wearing. The look was fabulous - and back then it set a trend - unfortunately it also started people down the path of the current "formal" look, which some can pull off but many can't. I freely admit that Penny's attire was pretty spendy, but you certainly couldn't call it tacky!

Stacy

I do not like it much either Susanne. But that is fashion for you.

Rather see the tasteful outfits they do at the CDE's. At least they are more practical and in my mind,more safe.

Actually many of the ladies look fabulous.........................I have searched and searched but cannot find the photos I was looking for............................

back in the great pony heyday...................the children used to wear formal attire and the dresses were so HUGE as to make it look like the ponies were pulling a float..................man I wish I could find those pics...the turnouts were amazing.................tiny little kids driving these ponies with boys in tux with tails and girls in these unbelievable dresses......................
I am tryinmg to make a fancy turn out if you can find any pictures i would love to see to see them thaanks [email protected]

Sorry Suzanne I have to disagree with you on this one. I love seeing the ladies dress up.

I figure that the rest of the classes, everyone is wearing pants so the driving classes give the ladies a chance to play dress up and look gorgeous and totally shine. Everyone professes to be breeding their horses for elegance and flowing movement, so why not add the same in the coutour? (sp) I think it adds such beauty and to the class when they enter the ring and it enhances the class and their overall presentation. There's something about the Victorian style that I especially love with hats and gloves.

I saw a picture of Greenwood one time wearing such a beautiful gown for driving I thought she was breathtaking and that one stands out in my mind right off. There's so many others too, just takes my breath away.

Now as for strapless and boobs flying out, well heck, that's just more candy for the audience! I should be so lucky.

So if they happen to flop out with the trot, they'll just pick up the cadance. :new_shocked:

I just have to say once more that I think while some of this is in jest and fun... the OP can really be hurtful. Who would want to hear they look tacky and tasteless. What one of us that isnt a size 4 wants to hear how if you dress up everyone will be laughing at you?

And for the record driving classes are in the evening at Nationals...at least at AMHR

Sadly as a general statement says alot about us women in society. And yes I am guilty of this to but really if we tell ourselves this conversation wouldnt be had if they were wearing these dresses at a event other then driving we are wrong. How many times have there been jokes about the fat girl trying to look pretty or the older woman still thinking she is young- be it at a dance, a wedding or other event how many times have one of us truly been at the wrong end of one of these "jokes" or girls talking and remember how it made you feel again I realize some of this thread has been trying to be humorous but some statements have been mean or at least if you were not a size 4 wearing a gown.. you would think they were

Many breeds wear formal attire at there National shows there are MANY differences between Breed shows and ADS

that is why it is wonderful we have so many choices to go to and participate in.. you can surely find one that suits you and dont have to participate in those that dont.

I loooove the beautifully turned out formal attire in the evening classes except for the [SIZE=36pt]SKIN[/SIZE]! OMG! Haven't some of those ladies/girls ever looked at themselves on video bouncing over the arena with all that SKIN (and other things) jiggling! :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I have to tell this story. A friend was videotaping a Nationals Liberty class for us and also taped some driving classes. Hubby was doing the taping. One lady driver was very well endowed and very barely dressed. As the camera was panning over the exhibitors it suddenly got stuck on this one exhibitor! For the WHOLE class the camera was almost entirely on this exhibitor! I'm sure hubby didn't realize what he was doing, but he was 'watching' through the camera. I laughed till I cried. Still have that video too
default_yes.gif
:

Chrlotte

seriuosly though,over here we have side saddle classes were the ladies are dressed in victorian style, with top hats and a veil, a long skirt and a fitted jacket, and i think it looks beautiful
Give or take the veil, the victorian-style ladies riding attire would look lovely in the ladies driving classes and much more appropriate than formal style gowns. Just MHO

Lisa, I'm not putting anyone down for not being a size 4 or any personal attributes other than .

I think that the most beautiful model in the world with the best possible shape would look patently ridiculous dressed like this while driving a horse. I'm not being catty and I'm not criticizing someone's size. I'm hardly (never was) the size 4 snob. It's the dress, not the person.

I'm not opposed to dressing up -- I would love to have seen Stacy's friend -- those outfits sound gorgeous and creative.

I think the guys look fantastic in their tuxedos- yum! I'd like to see the women dressed with as much taste, looking like adults.

And no, I don't mean dowdy tweeds -- which is why I poked fun at the ADS look as well.

I absolutely love the evening dresses and formal look in the driving classes. This is a F O R M A L event!! I certainly agree with the ban on strapless dresses, but I pick what I feel looks good on my 4 PLUS size body (ok, maybe 5 PLUS :bgrin ), and I've been showing for 20 years. It makes me feel good to dress up once in a while for a show. At our last show, there was a Gus Macker basketball tournament going on, and everybody else was in shorts and tank tops, and the horse show people SHONE! Lots of people came over to see why everybody was dressed up!

Sorry I don't have a future as a model, but so what - if I want to show up in a poufy bridemaid dress, I can!

So we don't look like the Morgan folks - WE AREN'T SHOWING MORGANS

So we don't look like the Arabian folks - WE AREN'T SHOWING ARABIANS

So we dont' look lik the CDE Folks - -- - WE AREN'T SHOWING CDE

I don't wear a cowboy hat and spurs either, but I don't make fun of the AQHA people.

PLUS - a long dress is cooler than black pants in 80 - 90 degree weather!! :aktion033:

Ok, I'm not shy, and I'm not a size 4 (woudn't be even if I was skeletal! Good bones, they say - I'd be a stocky mini horse or one of the heavy pony breeds!)
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Even when I finish losing weight (have lost 90 lbs - and kept it off - over the past few years.) I will still love wearing these kinds of clothes... and I love the sparkley things (before you get to a stagehall dancing girl level, though!)

So with the edition of a stylish black had, this is my kind of driving gear.... blast away, if you like, I seem to be a target lately in any case (off the board!)

jjappydrive3%20.jpg

Latest posts

Back