Nothing truly important, but this really bugs me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a matter of taste. I think many of the formals are beautiful, but let's face it, we could do our own versoin of "What Not To Wear" at any given show. I prefer the no skin showing approach, while Patty looks lovely in her formals. And yes, many of them come off eBay and after the Prom Sales.

Me, Country Pleasure:

Spooker05Daffy06006.jpg

Patty, Pleasure Driving:

Spooker05Daffy06002.jpg

IowaStateFairSpiceDriving.jpg

This isn't a fair thread.

You guys are flaming about half of the national miniature horse driving community.

I like the look. I might wear a "prom dress" if my horses compete nationally in driving in single pleasure. I would always wear pants under them of course, just in case I have to bail the cart.

But for country pleasure I like what I have now. A sparkly jacket ($10 from the good will), a peasant skirt ($20 from Weathervane), a hat ($10 from Fashionbug), my slinky, and a pair of pants under it. It looks very classy and expensive but it isnt!

40156853.jpg

Patty looks great -- her dress is simple and elegant, and does not look like a pom or bridesmaid dress. And Dr. Pam, I love your country pleasure outfit.

In both cases, the outfit is apporopriate, and so much of what I see is not.

I think an earlier's poster's remark about the appropriate Arabian costumes vs. the belly dancer costume is very apt.

I'm with Jill, I really like it. I have never done it, but I can't wait to
default_wink.png
: I also think it has to work with your cart. I don't like the prom dress in the wood cart but I also think a plain jacket and skirt don't look good in the black Jeralds. JMO though.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the pictures I have seen in this thread so far look just exactly like what I think formal attire in the show ring SHOULD look like. Everyone in them looks classy, and tasteful and very very stunning.

I've seen some that make my eyes hurt though. Mostly the really low cut ones with tons of ruffles and really puffy sleeves.

I have no problem with the prom dress/bridemade dresses as long as they are class looking and not tawdry looking. But then again, "classy" and "tawdry" are very much matters of opinion.
default_wink.png
:

What an interesting post. I would have to say that honestly I think it is person preference. I think it is really no different than showing a horse not clipped! I personally would never show a horse not clipped, but again that is me. And I do think it is quiet rude to insult several people who do take thier formal attire serious at the National level. Have you even been to nationals to know exactly what you are calling Tacky. I know several people that spend 100's of $$'s on thier dresses, and I hardly find them tacky!

I for one think it is wonderful, big or small if a woman is comfortable with the way they look, and it makes them feel youthful and/or sexy then by God wear it. You only live once!!

I wish we could see a picture?

The replies are so varied, some say cheap bridesmaids dresses, which IMO could NEVER be considered "Classy"......... hideous comes to mind BUT other replies say elegant evening gowns are worn..... would love to see a picture.

Having said that I couldn't imagine wearing a formal dress driving a horse?

From what I have seen at nationals, what Patty is wearing in the pictures above is pretty normal for the attire. the youth( 12 and under) tend to wear a little more frilly and prom dress looking dress. But I beleive it looks appropriate. ANd I hav enot ever seen one little girl there that was not thrilled or excited to be in ther PROM dress attire for the class.....

Well I don't think the woman look cheap at all. And I agree with Ruffian 100%. This isn't ADS, CDE, Arabians or Morgans. Here is my daughter in this years dress, I will make no apologies to those who think this cute little 9 year old looks trashy.

scan0004.jpg

and this is me last year, again I don't think tacky at all

gelding_blaze_00.jpg

Lest anyone forget, this is simply MY OPINION, nothing more. If you don't feel you are tacky, then you need not take offense.

As for my being unfair and flaming 50% of the miniature horse driving community, that's only true if you believe 50% of the exhibitors are tacky, since those are the only ones I am talking about, LOL! Not picking on anyone...just had to giggle over the semantics...

You certainly have the right to dress however you please, whether I or anyone else think it tasteful or tacky. just as I have the right to my opinion and will continue to think as I do.

l love the tacky glitzy cheap tarty looking prom/bridesmaid dresses as they seem to be refered to here l think it adds flash and color to the pleasure class. Sometimes l'll just follow a dress around the ring to see where it places. :lol:

Driving classes are USUALLY in the evening at the large shows (Nationals ) for example.

Rule of thumb is FORMAL WEAR after 5 p.m.

AN apron would not in my opinion count as formal or elegant wear at any time of day or night.

I do not drive CDE (my choice) but I certainly would not wear that get up in a ladies pleasure driving class as I have no desire to look like either a spinster or a country school marm or a preacher's wife.(nothing wrong with any of these, if that is your choice). Just remember , not all of us like that look either, but we don't go on to poke fun at what others seriously enjoy.

So-- you see it all depends on what you like to do, and what you like to wear. What you see as elegant -- I see may quite differently.

I do not go with "SKIN" showing and I have never in my life been accused of being a trashy dresser.

But, yes, I like to wear formal & glitter AND big hats. And I LOVE to drive. If you don't like our outfits, please go watch something else. WE (larger ladies) enjoy both what we are doing & what we are wearing. SORRY!!!

For just once, I wish people would READ what I wrote and NOT what you think you read or confusing it with the responses of others.

Since I'm an equal-opportunity cynic, I had fun with the carriage driving attire as well...but that part must not have registered.

I never suggested that you should wear tweed or anything dowdy. (But hoo, baby, are here some hard feelings toward carriage driving or what?) The lap robe was merely in regards to someone preferring to wear pants.

So please, read my post before answering. Flame me if you will, but flame me for what I said rather than getting all hot and bothered over something I never said.

This may have been said before, but if I could FIT into my prom dress, I'd wear it anywhere!!!!!!

This may have been said before, but if I could FIT into my prom dress, I'd wear it anywhere!!!!!!
LOLOL, I hear ya!

I'm going to come down the middle on this one - within the limits of good taste (ie. no major flapping skin, boobs, etc) it's a horse show and time to show off a little. There are appropriate fashions for both single and country pleasure, but lots of room in both for individual expression. If you have seen Lisa Barnes or Teri Collins show at World, you have seen - in my opinion - a beautiful turnout. Both are professional and tasteful, without being over the top. Lots of others too, those just come to mind.

If you want to poke fun at horse show fashion in general, go watch a western pleasure class at a QH show.....NOT practical, and just a little on the glitzy side...can you say $800 jackets on youth exhibitors? But many of them are drop dead gorgeous too.

Jan

Gee wiz, I haven't been here in so long I almost forgot how to login! Susanne you always have such a unique way about you and you never fail to entertain me with your topics :lol:

I've been trying to think of something new to wear to the barn and yep, I think a thrift store prom dress is just the ticket although it's going to be tough to find one in my size. Maybe I'll have to go peruse the bride's maid section to stand half a chance. I might as well break Triggy and Blue in right and start wearing one right away but I don't know if I could keep them from rolling on the ground laughing hysterically when they see me or anyone else for that matter.

But seriously, I applaud all those lovely gals that can pull off something flamboyant and would love to see it get even more extreme :new_shocked: . Minis should be all about fun and I think one can wear something over the top and still pull it off with style. But I'm over 50 now so perhaps this way of thinking is a sign that dementia is setting in early
default_unsure.png
: . Oh heck, let's call it eccentricity.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I personally like the look and see both good and bad in most classes, but I am sure that no two people in the audience would agree on a list of "classy to tacky." This is a picture of Lauren, who is a senior in high school and, amazing as it sounds, still fits and uses this dress since the seventh grade!

romeo_centralDSC_3650.jpg

romeo_central2DSC_3654.jpg

I agree with Susanne - I don't think anyone in particuliar looks tacky. I just think it's ridiculous to require that kind of dress for driving, it's just not practical. If people got their dresses from thrift stores...more power to them. Heck if I'd go out and spend $300 on a dress to drive in, I'd go to the thrift store too.

I do think most look very pretty in their attire, but I just think it's silly to require that for a driving class...it's driving class, not costume class! JMO

No offense, but who in the world came up with this dorky idea?

I know that breed show driving has very little to do with carriage driving, but nonetheless, a lot could be learned from fine carriage turnout. These stupid shiny, strapless, trashy dresses really undermine and detract from the beautiful horses.

...and then to see middle-aged women doing this is downright laughable! I can't imagine these women wearing such a get-up at the most formal occasion...partly because such a dress would be completely out of place...so why in the show ring?

Barf-o-bits!!
I hate to break it to you Susanne but you did use some abrasive language in your post. I can see how lots of folks would get their feelings hurt. Just because you have a right to possess an opinion does not always give you the right to express it. I'm blonde like you and I would not appreciate a man getting on here and saying that all blondes are bimbos and dorky and stupid and trashy. Just an example here but those are some of the words you used to describe the attire that some exhibitors enjoy wearing.

Oh and for the record, I have a beautiful and very expensive RED SEQUINED RUFFLY prom dress complete with fake blonde ponytail that I have shown in at Nationals. I received many compliments on my "get up" as you so call it.

While I'm on a roll! if you want to get down to semantics.....

It is impossible for an inanimate article of clothing to truly BE trashy, dorky, and stupid. Those are words that describe people and their actions. So yeah you took a punch at the exhibitors.

Back to my cave....

Last edited by a moderator:
to everyoen that had the guts to post pics i applaud you. and you all look beautiful. Even sleeveless
default_smile.png

I have a healthy sense of humor and i adore susanne. But to ME most of these posts are catty and mean. Not just susannes original post but the ones that followed.

Like lisa said it is telling of how women treat other women. Instead of supporting each other and encouraging each other its meooowwwwwwwwww.

Im far from perfect and have made occassional comments on handlers in the ring. But I have made a huge effort to stop that as im sure people sit in the stands and comment on me, what im wearing, what im doing etc etc. Actually i have heard the comments people have made about me LOL. Some were good and some were rude.

it takes a very thick skin to put yourself and your horse on the line and get in that ring. I applaud every person male or female who does it and puts in the countless hours of work it takes just to get teh HORSE ready.

And again i find it interesting that most of the catty posts are by people that do not or have not shown in driving.

Latest posts

Back