Nothing truly important, but this really bugs me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When choosing an outfit to wear for participating in the sport of your choice it is important to select something appropriate to the sport. My sport of choice is driving horses in the AMHR show ring, Pleasure Driving and CDE's. For each separate type of event I choose an outfit that both complements the horse/carriage and the event I am participating in. For each of them the number one prerequisite is safety and then appropriateness of the "costume". My shoes in all cases are sturdy, low heeled, easy to walk in and yet dressy. For CDE's a nice dressy pair of black slacks is the basis of my outfit with an apron over to keep myself clean and a long sleeved shirt or jacket for both looks and safety. For Pleasure driving a skirt with apron and nice jacket and blouse that complement the look of my overall appearance and meet the rules. For both the previous brown gloves and hats. For the AMHR National show ring I wore one of those "tacky" retired bridesmaid dresses - one that had long sleeves showing little or no skin anywhere and of mid calf length, both for safety reasons. All that skin will get badly damaged if you were to have an accident! Would you consider riding a motorcycle half naked? Anything long and flowing that could get caught in a wheel is definitely a bad choice of apparel. One of the stipulations for judging an AMHR class is "appropriateness of attire" and I think a lot of the people in todays show ring should think about that one. But I do think anything that meets the requirements of safety and the rules of their particular sport and that the participant is comfortable in is appropriate wear - to each their own! I like a nice fancy hat for ANY driving I do with good fit and small enough brim it won't get blown off.

I want to add that although I wouldn't normally go driving around in flashy jockey silks and cap I do wear that "costume" for Roadster class.

This has been an interesting topic of discussion. I find it funny that it has drawn so many to comment. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
OK someone asked and after much searching here is a link to one fancy turnout that I was picturing. Mind you these are kids and I think they look fabulous and are probably having the grandest time
default_wink.png
:

photo

I must have seen the pics in a magazine as I cannot find them anywhere but I remember it being an article about fancy turnout and there were plenty of old photos....................I actually thought it was a cool class. and the work done to build the cage to hold the dress was amazing.

I am so sorry I some think I was catty etc.....I wasn't Susannes description had me picturing HER in a huge pink dress with hoops and the whole darn idea cracked me up......................anyone here ever watch any comedy? So if you do you have seen the schtick where the hoop dress pops up when sitting down?
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_unsure.png
:
default_unsure.png
: anyone? it's an old one it even appeared in silent movies................that was the picture susannes description painted in my mind :bgrin :bgrin

Yikes Rori, could be the angle of the picture but that looks downright dangerous for that little girl.

Yep, have seen the comedys and I think even Shirley Temple had a hoop skirt episode that would not cooperate.

Fabulous photo and are we sure that all that is attached to the girl or just props around her? I can imagine her trying to walk, move or even carry all that heavy material!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why I keep coming back to this because it makes me mad as blue blazes. I think everyone here that is slamming how other people dress should maybe take a moment to think how they would feel if the tables were turned around. There have been a lot of PMs and emails flying around and a lot of hurt feelings. I said before and will say it again--wear what YOU want and what YOU like and what YOU think is appropriate and let everyone else decide for themselves as well. Me--I can hardly wait for the day I can drive a snazzy, high stepping horse at nationals and fly around the ring in a glossy show cart wearing a fire engine red evening dress! Why? Because I think it would look and feel fabulous! I have to walk through all of those "awful, gaudy, hookerish" prom dresses and just imagine how it would look in a show cart at nationals. Apparently I am not the only one that feels that way because looking through the pics of the World and National shows I see a lot of the same thing. If ya don't like it--then don't wear it, but give everyone who does like it the respect of being able to have their own choices.

Not everyone likes balding--some do--to each their own.

Not everyone likes clipping--some do--to each their own.

Not everyone likes the elongated bridle paths--some do--to each their own.

I am going back to driving ADS next year and I love the neat hats and aprons but I like a bit more color--so I will wear what I am comfortable with and what I like that fits into the rules. But man I dream of the glitz of nationals too!!

Amy

Pleasure driving = tasteful business attire with little sparkle after 6pm

Park = FORMAL..this is where the gaudy sparkles can come alive

If you really want to stand out...put your harness on right.

(who's getting quite ticked at the breed slamming here..I'll put my dam*d hackney and his harness, and cart and my clothes up against some of those outfits anyday and go on "queer eye for a straight guy" for judgement..as we know Carson does show hackneys and saddlebreds)
hahaha as always, Kim says pretty much what im thinking. much <3 to Kim and tabitha

All in all while I tend to agree that people should wear what they like.... it does NOT mean that it's appropriate for the situation. Like it or not in most cases you are judged on what you wear... NOT as in your figure or lack therof... but as in how you present yourself. Being in the show ring isnt really all that much different attire wise than a job interview. Youre not being judged on your outfit by any means, but your choice of what you wear does say a lot about the type of person you are .

and ... wow @ go2minis. 2 posts and comes right out swinging at Susanne.

Yikes Rori, could be the angle of the picture but that looks downright dangerous for that little girl.
There is a special "cage" that the dress is built onto....it is very elaborate and that one is nothing compared to some of the extremes I saw in old photo's. It literally is like the cart is turned into a float :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin but that class is called fancy turnout so the fancier the better
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

And hey Spaz

but as in how you present yourself. Being in the show ring isnt really all that much different attire wise than a job interview. Youre not being judged on your outfit by any means, but your choice of what you wear does say a lot about the type of person you are .
This must be why I HATE detest and despise job interviews
default_wink.png
: I like sweats, sweaters, and comfy grubby clothes.......I also like "hippy" dresses, and skirts....on rare occasion I like to dress to the nines in slinky shiney dresses (not lately too plump now) ..........I hate business wear...slacks and jacket to me are show clothes and belong in the showring (not on my body for 8 or more hours while sitting in an office)...and don't even get me started on bra's :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

Latest posts

Back