Not sure what to do......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
We haven't bred any mares for almost 4 years. My heart just isn't into it anymore....too much can and has gone wrong. I am faced with a dilema and would welcome any input. I have 2 stallions - 1 is 15 and was one of my first horses so I have decided to geld him so he can enjoy the company of mares in his retirement. He isn't too bothered about not being used for breeding so I'm pretty confident he will be a happy gelding. The other stallion is younger, better bloodlines and not happy about being dormant in the breeding department. I can't seem to sell him (not why I'm posting) and he is not happy here which makes life interesting. Since we aren't breeding and our time and energy is now going towards our eldest daughter who is riding/jumping I would like to sell him. I am in favor of gelding him but wondered if I would have better luck selling him if he had a job - ie investing in sending him to a driving trainer. I think he would be happiest with a job and if it can't be breeding then driving could be second.

I would love to hear other comments. Please don't judge me for selling him. We are keeping a handful of horses especially the older ones who have earned their retirement but will be selling the younger ones. Our hope is to find homes where they will be used to their full potential. We need to lighten our workload and hopefully find homes where they will be given more attention.

Thanks,

Kareng

I would invest in training to drive or do it yourself. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself I would find someone that drives but maybe not a Big Time Trainer to get him started so you don't sink a ton of money into him to get him going. That way you can say he is started in driving and needs finishing. I think that is what I would do. I have my 3 yr old that I am starting this year. Tried to sell him as a weanling, yearling and 2 year old. He has now bred 2 of my mares and I am going to see what the foals are like. If they are REAL NICE then he stays a stud. If they are just nice my farrier knows of a vet that will geld for $150. All the other vets want $350 to geld. That way he can be out with the girls all the time.

I don't think anyone would have an issue with selling some
default_laugh.png
Keeping the older ones who are more comfortable with you is commendable and what many of us do -- unless they just cannot give the time, care that is needed. As they age their are concerns and feeding adjustments that are necessary. Some farms are just not able to do this.

Overall, I'd sell him. Just find a good home. Sometimes you find a farm who wants a great gelding and they also train -- double great!! It's always the boys who present the most issues -- the hormone situation comes into play
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back