Non registered mini's? Full of questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, gee, what can I say? As I said in another post, I seem to have a knack for saying "This little mini needs me!" Sounds like you may need them, too (and at least minis don't eat much.)
default_wub.png

[SIZE=12pt]Yes my feed bill will be slightly lower then with the big horses I had
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Short answer?

No, I would not buy an unregistered animal.

There are plenty of nice, registered animals around, dirt cheap.

If you buy these animals someone will breed more to fill the hole int he market, remember, if you pay out nothing at all on basic care, $100 is a good price for the result.......

Sorry, but no, not for me.

Now, if these animals were free...............................

Hi,

Buy the horse's they need you and you need them, sometimes the registry thing just gets out of hand, a good mini is a good mini no matter what registry it is registered with...or not!

Have fun with them ,surely thats what its all about..
default_smile.png

I like the fact that someone posted that these unregistered horses needs homes. Unfortuantly they do, and you may just be the right person to do it. However, if you are looking to make some money once you train them up, I guess depending on your area don't expect to get much more then what you paid. Like everyone has said registered horses are going for dirt cheap right now, and alot of it has to do with so many unregistered horses still be used for breeding. Its sad to say horses in general its like dogs and cats too many are breeding.

I think its great that you want to give them a good home. As someone has mentioned I would get a vet out to make sure these animals are healthy first. But if you are looking to resale them to make money don't expect too, otherwise get registered stock.

[SIZE=12pt] I'm not looking to make any money
default_smile.png
Just have something to enjoy.
[/SIZE]

From what I have read - they very well may be good for you. I hope you didn't take my first post too harsh but for me, papers are a must since I will be showing in AMHA and AMHR as well as breeding. For you, since you are wanting to just have pets mainly and go to the occassional show - they sound like they would apprciate your nice home. 

I welcome you to the minis - you have a very nice grey boy and I saw your potential black and white boy as well. . .I hope you enjoy the minis as much as we do!

From what I have read - they very well may be good for you. I hope you didn't take my first post too harsh but for me, papers are a must since I will be showing in AMHA and AMHR as well as breeding. For you, since you are wanting to just have pets mainly and go to the occassional show - they sound like they would apprciate your nice home.
I welcome you to the minis - you have a very nice grey boy and I saw your potential black and white boy as well. . .I hope you enjoy the minis as much as we do!

[SIZE=12pt] Thanks so much. And your first post was fine.. I know where a lot of you are coming from
default_smile.png
So it's fine. Thanks so much again.
[/SIZE]

I know there are some open shows in VA that have classes for minis, registered or not. And if you really enjoy driving, you might want to try ADS shows and CDEs, papers don't matter there. And I know a lot of people don't like World Class, but I have enjoyed their show more than I did AMHA. That show has been held at the VA horse center in Lexington, VA the last couple of years. I don't know if there is a racing club in VA, but that is fun, too. There are lots of ways to enjoy minis without doing the AMHA or AMHR shows!
default_yes.gif

My prayers go out to you and your mother.

I have 2 registered and 2 non registered minis. I don't love the unregistered ones any less because they don't have papers. We have shown at registered and non registered shows. I find the open shows a lot less stressful. Although I find most people are very helpful at both type of shows.

You stated you wanted to have fun and it seems from the responses that that there are plenty of open shows in your area. You already have one registered and you can show him at the registered shows and take they others to non registered shows. Register them with Pinto or WCMHC and have some fun if that's what your looking to do.

Paper's are just that. paper

It totally depepnds on what you want.

I totally agree about the over breeding comments! That goes for reg. and non-reg. breeders.

I've seen and own a few very nice grade(non-reg) mini's and they can definately compete with the registered mini's and hold their own. I have a couple grade mini's that will place above the reg. ones in most classes.

Registration papers do have thier place as far as keeping their history in order, but they aren't important to me unless you plan on showing at the breed reg. shows. Or if your planning on breeding. I think all breeders should breed reg. horse to keep track of the history. And if your going to breed a particular horse you should have it reg. with some registry, just to keep track of the lines. It just seems like the responsible thing to do.

I would like to see more open shows for mini's and or a few grade mini class's for the mini's who's paper work isn't in order.

But Its not very favorable to have a grade horse out compete a registered one. Which is why they don't let grade mini's show at the big REG. shows, IMO.

Registered or not they all need TLC.

Do what feels right for you! Go with your gut instinct!

AS far as making profit - Horses are a hobby, something that soothes the soul. Not something that will be likely to make you rich.

Best wishes and prayers for you and your family.

I can see where people are coming from when they say papers aren't important, but the point some of us were trying to make is that buying unregistered animals is going to mean that in a lot of cases someone is going to be encouraged to breed again by making a sale.

Now, if these were rescues, no, I would say it makes NO difference, a horse in need, real need, is a horse in need, end of story, but a lot of these animals offered are merely badly bred animals that have no papers and have never had any money spent on their care, therefore any money the breeders get is profit as far as they are concerned!!

I am not saying that is what is happening here, I am just pointing out what happens in a lot of cases.

Registered animals are not selling, and whilst unregistered horse do need homes too, why encourage people to continue breeding them??

As I said, if these animals were free I would feel differently about the whole thing.

As to the question of not allowing unregistered horses at registered shows because we are scared of the competition, forgive me but that is naive of you!!

I would go potty if unregistered animals were allowed at my Breed Show, not because I was scared of being beaten by them but because I have gone to all the expense of registering my animals and breeding them responsibly, to have someone waltz in with an unregistered unknown animal makes a mockery of this, even if it is halfway decent...and I have never actually seen an unregistered animal that was capable of beating the top horses, sorry.

[SIZE=14pt]Thanks to all for the comment's. As I had stated before I am in NO WAY trying to make a profit. These horses will have forever homes with me and be loved. I don't plan on breeding at all.. I just want to have some fun with them and both of us enjoy the others company.[/SIZE]

Blessings and prayers for your mama and you ~S~

My baby is a unregistered stud. I do not show him, he is simply my soulmate. I tell him everything, my deepest fears secrets etc. He listens, gives me kisses and I know he wont tell any one else! hehe

All minis need loving homes and if you can supply these minis a good loving home, I say go for it. As long as they are healthy and not to much for you to handle.

They will give you back so much more then you could imagine.

Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Then I'd say you have answered your own question. If all you want is a few more to love and care for......BUY THEM! I would.

You buying a few "unregistered" horses isn't going to make that big a difference on those that breed unregistered horses. If it's you buying or someone else they will continue to breed them. Follow your heart and do what you want and think is right.
default_wink.png

I only have 1 unregistered horse at the moment and that's because no one finished her paperwork before they left the earth. Her fault? No! And yes, I'd put her up against a lot of registered horses right now.

I completely agree with you Rabbit. And I understand why breeders wouldn't want unreg. animals at their shows, except if in Grade(unreg.) class's which I don't see offered anymore.

And I should clarify that a grade mini may not out do a top class show mini. But not all reg. mini's are breeding or show quality nor any better than some of the unreg. mini's, this goes for all breeds of horses.

I don't mean to be naive, and I understand why they aren't welcome, That is an outlet for breeders and good breeders put alot of $ and time into thier program. but I also know you can put as much $ and time into a non-reg. horse as a reg. and many non-reg horses have great upbringing and care, better than some of the reg. so the $ difference boils down to the cost of the Registration and the individual circumstance. And this is why some reg. let or used to let you hardship a horse into a registry.

If you want to show breed shows then yes you must have a registered Horse. If you want the pleasure of having and caring for a horse and maybe doing some local open showing then a grade mini who is healthy, sound and in need of a new home is ok too.

If these mini's need a new home the owner should give you a awesome price on them, $100 isn't much for a healthy sound animal. But better yet since the market is down maybe you can do a 2 for 1 deal since they arent reg.
default_biggrin.png

I'm not trying to be negative about the registries. Just noting that grade horses can be great too if given the chance.

Unfortunately, there will always be someone out there breeding unreg. horses, wether you/we buy them or not.

I look at horses as I do people, as individuals.

FYI: We do not breed. we have several Reg. mini's in both registries. I have 2 awesome grade mini's also, that are always in the ribbons (halter & performance), against all breeds big and small.

Sorry to ruffle any feathers - I don't always type my thoughts in the best way and didn't mean to attack the breed shows or Good breeders.

[SIZE=14pt] Again, thanks so much for everyone's comments. I greatly appreciate where everyone is coming from on the subject at hand. I have decided to take them and they will be here next weekend. I am very excited to have them join my home
default_smile.png
I will post pictures to introduce them when they arrive. Thanks again to all.
[/SIZE]

But Its not very favorable to have a grade horse out compete a registered one. Which is why they don't let grade mini's show at the big REG. shows, IMO.
It doesn't have anything to do with the fear that some horse with an unknown x unknown pedigree is going to humilate some blue blood. That's not it at all. Many of the breed's founding stallions and mares are unknown x unknown, or have suspected inaccuracies in their pedigrees, and there are many others who are from "no nothing" pedigrees that didn't produce anything else of value. Honestly, I think a lot of Miniature people secretly dream of finding something amazing for $200 out in a backyard and hardshipping it and having the next superstar.
default_wub.png

There was a time back in the 1980s when you could get papers on any horses that met the height requirements. For mares they didn't even have to be under 34" for AMHA- they were called "Foundation/Oversized" (F/OS) and could be pretty dang tall!!!

Anyway, I won't disagree about the wisdom of closing the books to even hardshipping- I'm in camp of "If it's everything we want a Miniature to be, why can't it have papers?"- but I really don't think it's just a matter of the plebians and the aristocrats.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back