NFC Rowdys Standing Ovation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another problem with the LWO gene and it confuses people who don't think they have a frame overo. It is possible for sabinos and splashed overos, as well as apparent Tobianos, to carry lethal white. Most likely, it is because these horses have a frame overo in their pedigree somewhere that passed on the overo gene, but it is not showing up in the coat, as often happens with overo. It is recommended to test for lethal white to anyone breeding any overo or a horse that looks solid but has overo in its pedigree. A lot of people don't do this research.

Here are some quotes from articles on the American Paint Horse Association. It appears to me that they feel that the LWO gene is NOT a good thing to have in a breed. When Rowdy was alive, people did not know he was a LWO carrier, but now that we have the technology, it seems to me that we have to be more responsible.

"Since the origin of the American Paint Stock Horse Association in 1962, lethal white syndrome has been a plaguing presence, lurking in the shadows of the breed's success. For lack of a scientific explanation, or perhaps to downplay the one negative aspect of the breed, Paint breeders and the association itself adopted a "sweep it under the rug" policy for many years."

"We have found carrier horses in overos, tobianos, toveros, Solid-colored Horses, crop-out Quarter Horses and Pintos. The discovery of the lethal allele in Pintos is important in limiting the spread of this mutation, because many Pinto breeders are unfamiliar with OLWS and the gene is now making its way into other breeds that are crossing onto Paints for color production.

By taking the lead in the investigation of OLWS, the APHA has provided valuable information to all breeders. At the University of Minnesota we are excited about these discoveries and the avenues of investigation they open."

http://www.apha.com/breed/lethalwhites01.html

"I am even hoping people would stop using LWO horses at all in their breeding program as most people don't know about the consequences that can result."

"Here is another problem with the LWO gene and it confuses people who don't think they have a frame overo. It is possible for sabinos and splashed overos, as well as apparent Tobianos, to carry lethal white. Most likely, it is because these horses have a frame overo in their pedigree somewhere that passed on the overo gene, but it is not showing up in the coat, as often happens with overo. It is recommended to test for lethal white to anyone breeding any overo or a horse that looks solid but has overo in its pedigree. A lot of people don't do this research."

Then it needs to be up to the responsible owners to educate potential buyers about this. Most of the people on this forum are here because they want to know and continually educate themselves on miniature horses. They use this place to learn what they can, take as much fact with them and do further investigation outside of the forum on any matter they may have doubt, lack of understanding, want to continue to learn about.

I don't think there will be much support in favor of obliterating a specific gene when you are stating it in a place where people are doing there best to LEARN and DO follow through with testing. It is the educating that needs to be done, not the obliterating.

JMO

Carolyn

My Boogerman son now with AnnaC in the UK. was tested LWO+

I just tested my weanling colt, a silver dapple with blue eyes, a star and snip and he tested LWO+

I am expecting my other weanling, a blue eyed tovero filly with paw prints to test LWO+ also and homozygous for tobiano too.

In the old days there were no tests. They took their chances.

Now days, shame on any of us that breed and have lethal white baby.

Robin

Well, to be fair, Robin, a few people still get fooled.

Only this spring someone on the Color Form bred a foal from her mare who was tested positive for LWO she specifically took her to a stallion who had tested negative, (obviously, but the point here is the stallion, they said had been tested)

Turns out the stallion owners LIED.

Guess what??

Yep, that tricky old 25% really has a way of coming up trumps, and the foal, and my cyber-friend were the ones that had to suffer for it.

So it would seem that we need also to actually SEE the test results before breeding our tested mares!!!

It is still absolutely no reason to discard the gene, you don't throw something away merely because it entails a bit of hard work and responsibility.

Well, I don't and I know everyone on this Forum don't, anyway.
default_wink.png

Unfortunately, lethal white foals are not always the result of ignorance. There are big paint breeders who knowingly and intentionally breed LWO together and are willing to take the risk, because they can get such good prices for the sales of colored foals. "What's a dead foal here and there?" I guess if you are that business minded you could stomach that, not me though.........

does anyone have the info to get the kit.. i have a stallion i want tested just not sure how to go about it?

thank you

angel

does anyone have the info to get the kit.. i have a stallion i want tested just not sure how to go about it?thank you

angel
Log onto www.horsetesting.com print off the form for equine test submission form and fill it out. It needs to be sent in with hair sample(make sure the root bulb is attatched) along with a $25 credit card, check, or money order to the address listed.

Carolyn

Hey Angel - that wouldn't be Victor you are testing would it? This is the same place I use - you should get results e-mailed in about a week. I would love to know how he tests (if it is Victor) because, of course, we own his dam. I would bet that he will be negative but with that Rowdy blood he should be tested! We didn't test the dam because our stallion is LWO-. (She is the B/W mare in the vertical shot in my avatar and has no facial white).

Crossing LWO X LWO does not give a higher chance of Frame or loud foals, all it does is add the chance of dead foals to the mix.

What irresponsible people do with their animals is really not our concern unless they come on here and try to persuade us it is OK
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back