Newborn foal with deformed foot; advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_no.gif
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this with Sweetheart, but I agree with the others who thank you for sharing this experience with all of us so that we may learn from it! {{{HUGS}}} to you and Sweetheart and more
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif

Sending prayers for you and your precious filly. May God guide you in your decisions. I wondered also about a prosthesis for her? Whatever you decide will be the right choice. As has been stated, breeding is not for the faint of heart.

My heart is going out to you with your filly.........So many possibilities for her, and not all are easy ones........

Yes, we do have a three legged mini and his name is Gabriel. We chose to have his rear leg amputated because he was a fighter and was NOT about to give up. (One of our vets tried to talk us into euthanizing him, but Gabriel wasn't about to accept that!)

If you ARE considering amputation, check with your little girl about it. She will tell you by her behavior, her face and eyes.... just like our Gabriel did. It's not an easy road. A variation of the constant care you are doing already will continue for a long time. For us, we realized it was a life-time commitment.....HIS life-time........how ever long that may be.

And then down the road, your little one will be dealing with compensating on those remaining three limbs. So, you'll have to deal with that......especially in winter temps........ We tried the prosthetics for Gabriel and he refused all of them that were made.

I'm including a link to Gabriel's story. And if you want to contact me privately, please do. Don't hesitate.

http://www.miniatureventures.com/gabriel.html

I am so sorry for everything that you are going through with your little girl. After reading Gabriel's story, I just wanted to let you know that I too have a little horse that can only use three legs. My little guy is almost a yearling, and he has a fused hock on his left back leg. It won't straighten out for him to walk on it. He gets around just fine, and can run like the wind. This little guy is the best, and I am so glad that the breeder who gave him to me left him have a chance. I know your problem is a little different because the front leg I think would be harder to adjust to. My Timid Streak doesn't really know what is like to have four working legs. My prayers are with you, and I agree look at her and ask her if she wants to give it a try and you will know the answer. Good Luck and God Bless!

My thoughts, my prayers, my love, my respect and my heart go out to you and Sweetheart.

Wow! I've never seen anything like that. I don't breed often and only had one foal (he was a great experience). But I think the stress of wondering and worrying did me in.
default_wacko.png

I commend you for trying to help this little girl. A lot of good information has been given to you. You know the right decision to make. Either way, you seem to be the right person to care for her.
default_wub.png
Many good luck wishes sent your way. Keep us posted. If you do decide to try and rehabilitate her as a 3-legged mini, I would love to read about your experiences (blog or page on a website). Such a great learning page for everyone (and to show that not all hope is lost in situations like this). If you decide to put her down, many prayers your way. I just lost my yearling boy we bred for on Saturday. Its heartbreaking whether you were expecting it or not (ours definately wasn't expected). They touch your life even in the little short time they've been with you.
default_wub.png
Many wishes sent your way.

I am so sorry for everything that you are going through with your little girl. After reading Gabriel's story, I just wanted to let you know that I too have a little horse that can only use three legs. My little guy is almost a yearling, and he has a fused hock on his left back leg. It won't straighten out for him to walk on it. He gets around just fine, and can run like the wind. This little guy is the best, and I am so glad that the breeder who gave him to me left him have a chance. I know your problem is a little different because the front leg I think would be harder to adjust to. My Timid Streak doesn't really know what is like to have four working legs. My prayers are with you, and I agree look at her and ask her if she wants to give it a try and you will know the answer. Good Luck and God Bless!

Would love it if you shared more about your little guy, "Timid Streak". Do you have a photo of him? I can picture him running. That made me smile.......Gabriel runs much better than he walks too. As a matter of fact, if you saw him running in a field, you probably wouldn't even notice he was missing a leg.

We are praying for you & your lil one. I hope & Hope things work out. But PLease remember you can only do so much & we ALL know that you have & are doing everything you can do.

Take care &

God bless

What a warm, wonderful group on people here, that are all behind you and your precious special baby! You have taken such wonderful care of Sweetheart. No one could have done a better job. May you and your vet come up with a solution that brings you peace and may she be able to move comfortably--either as a three legged horse or in foal heaven. God Bless You and yours!!!

UPDATE: Just wanted to let everyone know that Sweetheart is alive and well and is growing stronger each day. There is no improvement in the foot itself but she has adjusted well to manuvering on her homemade prosthesis. She can follow mom around and is nursing well; even manages to be a little playful at times.

And the GOOD NEWS is that a wonderful, gracious lady is making arrangements to come get Sweetheart, have her evaluated medically, have her fitted with a custom made prosthesis, and use her as a therapy horse. This individual is knowledgeable in corrective hoof care which is such a added blessing. We just knew this little horse had a purpose in life or she would not be with us now. Thanks to this lady, (I will let her identify herself here if she so desires) little Sweetheart will now receive the very best of care for her handicap and has a chance for a more comfortable life. I am so happy!!!

OH THANK YOU for this wonderful update...

What a blessing she will be to so many out there.

You have done a wonderful job, would love to know more.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
SWD,

What wonderful wonderful news!! And you have done such a fantastic job getting her ready for this! :)

Susan O.

That is just super!!!! High Five to the person taking her to use her in therapy programs!!!
default_saludando.gif

That is wonderful news!!! Bless you for all you have done for this foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
What wonderful news - - no doubt she will become a wonderful ambassador and help many, many people also overcome challenges.

Many (((( HUGS )))) to you for hanging in there - I am sure it has been extremely stressful for you all.

Stacy

WOW! That IS wonderful news! Wahoo! I will continue to pray for her to adapt well and be just fine!
default_smile.png

Back