NEW Type of WNV Vaccine? Have you heard of it?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I have not heard of this brand or company in the past, and wanted to know a little more about their WNV+EWT vaccine. It is Vetera WNV+EWT. Does anyone know if this will work for horses previously vaccinated with FD vaccine? What I am specifically wanting to know, is if a horse has been vaccinated with FD or Merial in the past, and now give an annual booster using this brand, will they get the proper booster coverage from one shot, or will they need 2 again, just as though they were starting fresh again?? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL!! Sorry...BLONDE MOMENT!
default_whistling.gif
It is Vetera WNV+EWT.

I used that last year. I can tell you that I only gave one vaccination. It's recommended to use two, but since my horses are vaccinated yearly with some brand of WNV, I only used one dose. May or may not be effective that way.

I think that might be the one a friend of mine just bought--it was over $50 per dose--he bought 4 doses and his total bill was $250+...he may have got the kind with the flu vaccine included in it. I know the vet only gave him one dose per horse--his horses were all vaccinated with other vaccines in previous years. I said for that kind of money I hope that it is new and very VERY improved!!

If it works through a different method (ie live virus vs vector vs killed virus) you need to do that boosters all over. I love the EquiNile (previously PrevNile), and it only needs a single shot!

This may or may not help, my vet started last year giving Intervet's Prestige V + WNV with Havlogen all-in-one shot. No booster needed, only annually here. I did just read about new Prestige, Encevac, and Equi-Nile West Nile vaccines. Their website is www.westnileequinevaccines.com about the one my horses had (ewt,iev,ehv-1 & 4, wnv), the Equi Nile(wnv), Encevac T + WNV(eee,wee,tetanus,wnv), and Encevac + WNV (eee, wee, wnv)

The Vetera is a killed virus vaccine. It sounds like the company thast owns Vetera took over the FD line. Both use killed virus, but the atricle I read, and what I was told on the phone, was the new Vetera vaccine uses a different strain of WNV in making theirs. So does this mean 2 shots need to be given initially just because it's a new strain?? It shouldn't should it?? Just like flu shots for humans, they are constantly updating to include the newest strains of the flu, and only one shot is required annually for coverage/protection.

Back