Mare Having Trouble Adjusting to New Home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxMissy

Reaction score
We have had a ten year old little mare for about three weeks now, and hoping her behavior will settle down with more time, but would appreciate feedback.

PACING:

She was used for breeding and had been spending the majority of her time out in the pasture. We have her in an area about 50' x 50' now. Since she arrived, she has been pacing all day long and has a very specific path she follows all day. We know this is a big adjustment for her, after being on the same ranch for years, so are not surprised, but wondering how long it might take for her to become more comfortable.

MILD AGGRESSION:

She has also gotten a bit aggressive and fights us when we try to tie her and have her stand still for grooming. She was hesitant about the halter, but only for a few days and is fine when we put it on now and lead her. However, she rubs it on the fence and tries to get it off. It does appear to fit well, but I think she is not accustomed to having one on, since she had been spending so much time out in the pasture.

FEAR:

She has shown fear a few times, mostly just the first few days, when she reared and got a bit freaked out, staring out over the field. May have heard or seen something she wasn't used to. She also got freaked out this past week with a rainstorm, although we had cover for her. She was running and even jumped up in the air. We went out and called to her, and when she saw us, it seemed to calm her down. Again, I am guessing she is still just a bit on edge, so she startles more easily than usual.

We are taking it slowly and gently so she can ease into everything, but wondering how long we should go until we maybe consult someone? We don't want her to feel anxious/unhappy beyond a normal adjustment period.

Thanks!

Is she the only horse/animal? If so, you may want to get her a companion.

If you don't want to get another horse, try a goat. If she was only used as a broodmare out in pasture, she probably has never been by herself.

As for the spookyness and aggression, all I can tell you is keep working with her. Try treats and grooming. Work on leading her around a secure area until you feel you can trust walking her in a bigger area.

Best of luck.

She will likely settle down. We had a similar problem when we moved. Our qh mare, also 10, had a big problem when we moved her here. I had previously boarded her at the same place for 5 years prior. Our new place had very open pastures and it's very flat, sparsely treed, and you can see far into the distance. Where she had been before was heavily treed, all her friends were there. Our once reasonably calm mare was spooky and over stimulated at her new situation. All her big friends were not here and she had to adjust to only the minis. She got to the point she was starting to scare me, she even just lost it once and kicked me in the abdomen which was no fun. It was probably 6 months or more before she really settled in. She is fine now so hopefully just given more time, your mare will be fine too. Good luck!

Is she the only horse/animal? If so, you may want to get her a companion.

If you don't want to get another horse, try a goat. If she was only used as a broodmare out in pasture, she probably has never been by herself.

As for the spookyness and aggression, all I can tell you is keep working with her. Try treats and grooming. Work on leading her around a secure area until you feel you can trust walking her in a bigger area.

Best of luck.
Yes, she is the only. Unfortunately, we have a rural association that will only allow one.

My husband has taken her out and walked her around the bigger property. She likes it and behaves well.

Thanks for the suggestions!

She will likely settle down. We had a similar problem when we moved. Our qh mare, also 10, had a big problem when we moved her here. I had previously boarded her at the same place for 5 years prior. Our new place had very open pastures and it's very flat, sparsely treed, and you can see far into the distance. Where she had been before was heavily treed, all her friends were there. Our once reasonably calm mare was spooky and over stimulated at her new situation. All her big friends were not here and she had to adjust to only the minis. She got to the point she was starting to scare me, she even just lost it once and kicked me in the abdomen which was no fun. It was probably 6 months or more before she really settled in. She is fine now so hopefully just given more time, your mare will be fine too. Good luck!
That sounds very much like this situation.

We had a mini gelding many years ago, but hard to compare to him because he was the most docile little guy ever. nothing phased him whatsoever.

Thanks; your experience is encouraging. We just want her to feel content. She is, of course, very calm and happy at mealtime:)

Some horses just take longer to settle in. In my experience the less you seem to expect from her the better she will adjust. When you go out with her just be there. Talk to her and offer her a treat. Tell her how your day is going or whatever. Then walk away. Don't force it with her. We want so badly for them to want to interact with us that we don't give them time to come around at their own speed. Let her learn to trust you without her worrying about being haltered or groomed or anything like that.

My grandfather had a stallion (thoroughbred) who was really hard for anyone but grandpa to handle. Grandpa (being 80) was getting a bit old to catch and hold him for the farrier, vet, etc. Everyone else (my husband included) could not catch this guy to save their lives. So when I offered to go out my husband just laughed. Much to his surprise I walked out and up to him quietly and slipped the halter on. He stood like a gentleman for his shots and the farrier. My secret? I had gone out and said "Hi" to him every day for 3 months ( I had moved in to help grandpa with the horses). When I went out to his pasture I talked to him as I tossed him his feed and offered him a treat. I didn't even try to touch him. After about a month he touched me. I stood there talking to him and he put his head over and bumped my shoulder with his nose. After that I would rub his face when I fed. This was our daily routine. I never tried to halter him or anything. But when the time came he let me because he trusted me.

Sorry about being long winded, my point is, follow your mare's cues.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong at all I'm just saying it can sometimes take a while and more patience than we realize (and I am soooo not a patient person!) It sounds to me like she is lucky to be with you guys. She will realize it sooner rather than later
default_smile.png

Welcome to the forum TxMissy
default_smile.png

Three weeks is a very short period for a horse to adjust to a new home. All horses are different and will take different amounts of time to settle into new surroundings. I have a TB ( which I have had for 10 years now) and he took nearly a good 2 years before he trusted me and was able to settle in. I do agree with Magic marker in regards to a "Paddock mate". Horses are herd animals and will often seek the company of other animals.

How is she in regards to catching her. ? If she can easily be caught now, I would take the halter off her when she is in the paddock by herself. Headstalls/halters should never be left on a horse when not supervised and being that she paces, she may get it caught on the fence and it could lead to disaster.

I used to have a horse that reared when being tied, constantly moved around.; One day I had enough and took him out side and tied him up, placed a bucket of water next to him and made him stand there ALL DAY . For the remainder of the time that I had him , he was a pleasure when tied.

In regards to feeding and treats , Mix up your routine , If you A) Go for walks. B) then brush, C) then feed. Which one do you think is going to the most appealing to her ? So until she gets that feed , she will be pushy and hesitant at standing ect.

Best of luck with her, and ask as many questions here as you like , everyones friendly and happy to offer their experience and advice
default_smile.png

Some horses just take longer to settle in. In my experience the less you seem to expect from her the better she will adjust. When you go out with her just be there. Talk to her and offer her a treat. Tell her how your day is going or whatever. Then walk away. Don't force it with her. We want so badly for them to want to interact with us that we don't give them time to come around at their own speed. Let her learn to trust you without her worrying about being haltered or groomed or anything like that.

My grandfather had a stallion (thoroughbred) who was really hard for anyone but grandpa to handle. Grandpa (being 80) was getting a bit old to catch and hold him for the farrier, vet, etc. Everyone else (my husband included) could not catch this guy to save their lives. So when I offered to go out my husband just laughed. Much to his surprise I walked out and up to him quietly and slipped the halter on. He stood like a gentleman for his shots and the farrier. My secret? I had gone out and said "Hi" to him every day for 3 months ( I had moved in to help grandpa with the horses). When I went out to his pasture I talked to him as I tossed him his feed and offered him a treat. I didn't even try to touch him. After about a month he touched me. I stood there talking to him and he put his head over and bumped my shoulder with his nose. After that I would rub his face when I fed. This was our daily routine. I never tried to halter him or anything. But when the time came he let me because he trusted me.

Sorry about being long winded, my point is, follow your mare's cues.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong at all I'm just saying it can sometimes take a while and more patience than we realize (and I am soooo not a patient person!) It sounds to me like she is lucky to be with you guys. She will realize it sooner rather than later
default_smile.png
Thanks! Agree, taking it slowly and gently is what we've been trying to do. We just need to have that patience and give her the time she needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum TxMissy
default_smile.png

Three weeks is a very short period for a horse to adjust to a new home. All horses are different and will take different amounts of time to settle into new surroundings. I have a TB ( which I have had for 10 years now) and he took nearly a good 2 years before he trusted me and was able to settle in. I do agree with Magic marker in regards to a "Paddock mate". Horses are herd animals and will often seek the company of other animals.

How is she in regards to catching her. ? If she can easily be caught now, I would take the halter off her when she is in the paddock by herself. Headstalls/halters should never be left on a horse when not supervised and being that she paces, she may get it caught on the fence and it could lead to disaster.

I used to have a horse that reared when being tied, constantly moved around.; One day I had enough and took him out side and tied him up, placed a bucket of water next to him and made him stand there ALL DAY . For the remainder of the time that I had him , he was a pleasure when tied.

In regards to feeding and treats , Mix up your routine , If you A) Go for walks. B) then brush, C) then feed. Which one do you think is going to the most appealing to her ? So until she gets that feed , she will be pushy and hesitant at standing ect.

Best of luck with her, and ask as many questions here as you like , everyones friendly and happy to offer their experience and advice
default_smile.png
We never have the halter on her unless we put it on (almost daily) while we are there, to keep her used to it. After just a few days, she was very good about coming right over and having us put the halter on. She just isn't thrilled with it once it is on and tries to rub it off against the fence. As I said, it seems to fit well, but I think she just isn't used to having one on often.

From all of the feedback and experience here, which I appreciate, it seems like she is probably coming along at a normal speed and we just need to be patient and stick to a routine she can get comfortable with. She does not seem to have any fear of people at all. I think it is more the smaller area (as compared to acres of pasture) and new sounds and sights to get used to.

Thanks!

I have a mare that came from a broodmare band, large pasture situation. She's fine once haltered, but catching her isn't easy, and hate to say it, but it took her about two years to really settle in.

I have a mare that came from a broodmare band, large pasture situation. She's fine once haltered, but catching her isn't easy, and hate to say it, but it took her about two years to really settle in.
Two years?? I will stay in denial and assume it will be two months
default_yes.gif

Back