More on Vaccinations - What combinations do you use (all in one)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky Horat

Reaction score
I know there's been a lot of discussion on vaccines and this topic may have been covered a little. Getting ready for Spring Vaccinations. Wondering how many use the 6-way or break them up in multiple doses. We Vaccinate for Rabies, EW, Flu, Rhino, Tetanus, WNV. My question is they now have everything (except Rabies) in one syringe. I've used these on the big horses, but my thought is this is too much at once for the little guys. Of course hate giving multiple shots if don't have to. Previous years we've done the WNV and Rabies at one time and then following week given the Flue/Rhino/Tet/EW in one vax.

Its not the vaccine that causes the issue, its the adjunct. The multi-shots are only one shot, as far as the horse is concerned. There is research out in humans now that shows multiple vaccines at one time improves the immune responce compared to spacing them out.

To me, there is no one all-in-one shot that offers the best protection for each disease. I rather break it up into several shots (I think we do 5 total) to get the best that each brand offers. This year I gave them all in one day, but years previous I gave two shots every third day for a week.

Nathan is correct-the adjuvant is what causes reactions most of the time. I do the 5 way here and anything else I need to give, I wait 2 weeks to give it.

I have done many different things. Lately I am using the Recombitek combo vaccine that has E/W/T & WN and then I give a Flu/Rhino separately. I have gotten a little localized swelling with the combo vaccine, but nothing that bad.

Some Vets prefer vaccinating in multiple trips so as to not over load the system.

I respect that opinion, but I prefer giving everything at once using as many combo vaccines as possible.

Dr Taylor

I think I have always used Fort Dodge. Can't remember having anything other that a sore neck something I can sympathize with because I always get a sore arm no matter what shots I get.

I am about to try a Fort Dodge 5 way for the first time. Usually I do Tetanus seperately and on the off side of the neck. I will let you all know if I get any reactions. Just waiting for a slightly warmer day.

We usually always exercise immediately after giving the shots has anyone else heard of doing this? It was something that our vet in Washington used to always tell us.

I was always told to exercise lightly the next day after giving shots. Again, I have done a little bit of everything from turnout to medium work. I think it depends on the horse myself.

I have always done all my vaccines at one time and never had any issues, even with foals and minis. Sure they might be dumpy for a day afterwards but usually I only see that in foals.

I recently had horses done with the 6 in 1 that has WNV, and NEVER AGAIN. These are horses who have been vaccinated annually for years, but never with the WNV in with their 5 in 1. Well, all of my horses who got that vaccine had 6"-8" area around the injection side where their hair fell out. Let me tell you, it looks terrible on my show horses.

This year I'm doing my basic core vaccination with Ft Dodge. I'm using their combo EWT - WN. I haven't been a Ft Dodge fan for years and have avoided using FD previously. This year, they had the best price on the combo, so I decided to give it a try. So far, I've vaccinated 9 horses with no problem at all. I have about 17 more horses to vaccinate and I'm hopeful the rest will go as well.

Thanks for all the comments. I worked for a vet for 23yrs. He used strictly Fort Dodge on all the horses he vaccinated. Had almost NO reactions or problems. When giving multiple vax at same time, he would give each vax in different area...this way he would know if a particular vax had a problem. Also horse wasn't getting all shots in same area. I think I'm going to be safe and give the WNV and 5Way in seperate shots and do Rabies at different time. These guys are just so small and that's alot of vaccine. As much as I'd rather not have to poke them anymore than neccessary. Really like all the feedback. This is very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't normally shop for vaccines by price... I shop by efficacy and boosters (ie if I switch brands to a different technology, I have to booster it again as if the horse was nieve). ONE of my vaccines costs $65 (which I'm $@& grumpy about) but I still feel its the best, and important. And, its a FD vaccine (only FD product I use).

Latest posts

Back