New to showing minis advice needed on feeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey3

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Casey and I have shown livestock and Quarter Horse some, but never miniatures. I am not clueless and I catch on quickly. I just bought 3 weanlings last year. Only one is going to be shown this Spring in Halter, so he is the one I am focusing on. He is a March weanling colt. Just got him in early November and he was wormy. So far he has been dewormed w/ Zimmermectin Gold about a week after I brought him home and Strongid 2 weeks ago. He has a bit of a belly and the Strongid helped so I am going to deworm him again w/ the Strongid. Next I was planing on using Equimax 3 weeks laiter. And yes all three weanings are on the same deworming program. I may get a fecal sample done on him just to be sure.

Now I want to make sure I am feeding him and the others correctly. Now he is the only one going to be shown so he is the one I want to make sure looks good for the show(in April). I know I am close, because they all look good except for a slight belly. Right now they are each geting 1 lb of grain 2Xs a day of a pelleted feed(info below on the grain). Should they get more? Are they geting enough protein? Too much fiber? Better grain out there?(I can get any of the Purina Horse feeds) How much hay should they be geting? He is about 200 lbs right now. They are not on pasture.

*Purina Miniature Horse and Pony*

Protein: 13.5%

Fat: 4.5%

Fiber: 18%

Link to all info on the grain: http://horse.purinamills.com/products/miniaturehorsepony/ECMD2-0051041.aspx

Thanks so much in advance!

I have found that weanlings need more protein so I fed mine Omolene 300 which I believe has 16%. Once they turned 2, I switched them (first to Strategy and now to Miniature Horse and Pony). I have a feeding guide for miniatures which recommends 1.5lbs pe rday for weanlings/yearlings at around 180lbs.

There are some mini owners who don't like a sweet feed though. Mine had no problem on it and I continue to feed it to my hard keeper.

Good luck with your showing goals!
default_aktion033.gif

Welcome to the MINI WORLD! You'll have so much fun showing.

As for your feeding, are you pretty sure on the weight of your coming yearlings? My 32" and under mature broodmares weigh max of 250 lbs. Of course with all this winter hair they look more like 400 lbs!

But as for feeding your youngsters, we like to see the young growing horses on a feed formulated specifically for growing horses. Most of our show horses 2 years or under are on a junior feed of some sort and a high quality alfalfa and grass hay. There is an article on feeding miniatures on my web site which might offer some help although it doesn't address the specifics of feeding growing horses.

This is what we want our show horses to look like. The chestnut pinto colt is a yearling....the palomino a 2 year old.

KellyStanleyPintoWorld20web.jpg

TwistCentral.jpg

I would also question that weight I wouldn't be surprized if he wasn't 100 lbs. You can always take him to the vet and use the weight scale and see exactly how much they weigh. My 33" full grown gelding weighs 250 lbs.

I personally did not have any good luck on the mini feed. My one wouldn't even touch it after feeding it a few months and once I switched feeds he eats perfectly fine now. He got a dull coat, depressed, and didn't perform as well. Another reason your guy could have a lil blown belly is because of lack of protein. I highly recommend a jr feed something like Omolene 300 or Equine Jr. I personally like the GLO feeds by ADM. Thats what I switched too after my problems I had with the mini feed and this same guy that went off the feed loves the PrimeGLO food, and also working him he has lots more stamina that he didn't have back in Sept. He is also looking great. Also avoid alot of steamy hay, that could cause a blown belly, something like alfalfa or alfalfa/grass hay thats green and leafy would be the best option. Mine who weigh 200-250 lbs are getting fed 6 lbs of hay a day of orchard grass.

Also you may want to thank about doing a power dose of SafeGuard. I just finished with mine and noticed less belly on my one afterwards.

Geesh Charlotte I never realized before how darn pretty you are! And you got great teeth in your head to boot! LOL

I've raised my foals on first Equine Jr. for a few years. Then I switched over to Strategy for a few years. Now I have the entire barn including the weaners on Purina Mini Horse and Pony feed and you know what? All my babies have done just fine and dandy on all of it. The miniature horse and pony feed does say its good for growing horses too. No problems anywhere with any of my above choices. I think its all good actually.

My horses do get fed ample hay especially in the winter and they do get grassy pasture in season also. They all spend a lot of time outside daily as long as weather permits.I think they need plenty of out time to run and grow and have a good mind. Good luck on your up and coming show season!

Thanks so much for the replies! He is a AMHR/ASPC B mini, both parents 37" tall. I used a tape that estimates weight by puting it around his girth. I know by just looking at him, he is at least 150. I will switch him to the Omelene 300 and see if it helps(slowly of course). How much should he get of that 2xs a day? And yes all horses get out in a paddock every day. We have one area that includes the barn that is about 1 acre and another pen with a shed that is divided that is overall about 1 1/2 acres, thats where the gelding(almost 3) goes. Then a 3 acres of pasture for the 2 mature mares we have also.

Charlotte, wish he looked as good as those!

Also I was wondering, my mom has a fat gelding about to turn 3. Approx. 300 lbs, 36" tall. He has been geting fat in the last year. Being fed the Mini/Pony feed. He was eating 1/2 lb 2Xs a day, up until a month ago, now on 1/4 lb 2Xs a day. I am worried about him getting a thick neck, ect he already has a huge belly. She thinks its the hay(geting the same as the babys or less), but I say no, the hay is not the cause, its from geting more energy from the grain he needs as he does not exercise much and not growing much or at all now. Would oats be a good choice so he still gets something? At least until she starts exercising him? She wants him to be a driving horse, so that will get him the exersice he needs, but won't start getting him going until the Spring. She worked with him some last Summer, just geting his used to a bit and a circingle. This year will be a harness and eventualy the cart.

Thanks again!
default_laugh.png

Feeding programs differ greatly from person to person. It really is a matter of trying different things till you find what works for you and your mini. You have gotten good suggestions so far.

I wanted to address your questions about your Mom's gelding. Is there somewhere that you can get him to move regularly? He is probably not getting much exercise as they don't "have" to move when let out. They can just get lazy and stand around. It would take a little work, but if you can get him into a smaller area and force him to move about (I would suggest a whip hitting the ground to get him excited and moving) for up to 15 minutes at least 3 or 4 times a week. You will have to start slow--maybe 3 or 4 min at first and work your way up. If you can do that, it will be easier on him when you start working him for the cart this spring. Also, he will turn some of the flab to muscle. If it is really cold where you are and he is really shaggy, you must start slowly--only a few minutes at a time to start. You can possibly just make him move a minute or two when let out to play and a minute or two before coming in. This will prevent him getting sweated under the coat and getting cold. As he gets more conditioned, you can add a minute or two to each time period. Like humans, the less conditioned and out of shape they are, the quicker they sweat.

Good luck.

Angie

I have found that the weight tapes are off by adding 50 lbs to their weight. My 33" gelding I have always weighed him by the use of the weight tape at 300 lbs. Got him on a actual scale he weighs only 250. Weight tapes are good to have but not always exact. According to the feed directions on the bag for a 100 lb foal they recommend feeding 6.25-6.75 of grain a day with 1 lb of hay as a minimum amount which isn't a whole lot of hay to me but alot of grain.

With the gelding you may consider keeping him on a all hay diet. You are right by not taking away the hay, hay is really important to the horse's diet especially at winter time. Thats why I love the feeds by ADM it allows you to feed less grain but more hay. Right now my horses are getting .6 of a lb a day of PrimeGLO and 6 lbs of hay a day. Whereas on the mini feed I was doubling the amount of grain and getting half of that amount of hay. But since you have cut back on the mini feed I would consider just keeping him on a all hay diet with a good mineral block that you can find made by Purina. Just continue to monitor his weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've gotten some good advixe so far, and I'm another who feeds a high protien to my babies. I do want to back you up though, my big B babies both weigh 180 lbs at 6 and 8 months and look pretty good. Some babies are just heavier ;) My babies are also on the tall side, both have big B parents too. Can you share some pictures?
default_smile.png

Im with Desiree, my colt is a big boy, and he eats a ton. Hes AMHR/ASPC and i've had a few trainers tell me the shetland colts really eat a lot more than mini colts. He gets 1 1/2lb of a 16% protein 6% fat junior pelleted feed, 1lb alfalfa cubes, 1 cup (measured dry) of shredded beetpulp, body builder supplement, free choice minerals, a salt block, and 1/4 flake of timothy hay. Id prefer to be feeding him more regular hay, but he simply wont eat it. He came off of pasture and although we've had him since mid November, he is still unsure of hay.

Thats what hes fed TWICE a day, lol.

For your chunky boy, since your not exercising him I would take him off of grain and just get a pelleted vitamin/mineral supplement to go along with his hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a bunch. Have another question, what does beetpulp do? Is it a filler? I know the breeder I bought him from feeds that to their show horses. They feed half and half Omelene/oats, plus peetpulp.

Beetpulp adds fiber to the diet. It comes either coated with molasses or plain. It can put on weight, so using it needs to be done carefully in cases where the mini is already overweight. Many use it especially in the winter because you usually soak it in water for a time before feeding it. The idea is that the horses consume additional water during a time when they not be taking in as much as they should. Some use warm water and like the idea of giving their horses a warm "mash" during the winter.

I ultimately decided not to use it myself. I've decided to keep my feeding routines as simple and basic as possible. As longs as my girls do well with what I'm doing, I'll leave alone.
default_yes.gif

Ok thanks. I am switching them to Omelene. The colt has been acting like stud, being real ruff with girls laitely so he is now with the fat gelding and they are doing great. He gives the gelding, the push he needs to run and play! I will take pics of them when they are clipped this Spring.

Hey I would like to make sure we are feeding our preg mare correctly too. She should be due early March and she is an ASPC about 42 " tall. Right now she is on the Mini/Pony feed, geting 1 lb 2xs a day. My mom wants to be sure not to feed her too much, I want to be sure she is geting enough. So far I think she is because she looks good. She is on pasture, and gets some coastal hay as well since their is not alot of pasture. Also is it safe to switch her over to Omelene 200 as long as we do it very slowly or is it safer to just wait until after she foals?

Now for the fun question, can anyone guess what color the foal might be? She is a blk and white pinto(pictured on my profile) and the sire is a palomino. Her mother is also a black and white pinto and her father is a sorrel and white pinto. The palomino stailions father is also palomino and his mother is a sorrel and white pinto. I'm hoping for black and white pinto, palomino would be okay too. Now whats the odds its a palomino pinto?
default_yes.gif

Thanks again!

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/miniaturehorsepony/ECMD2-0051041.aspx

Here is some information on the feed. It shows a chart on how much you should give. Without knowing how much she weighs or how late in gestation she is. She is probably ok getting the 2 lbs but when she is in late gestation she would probably need more then that. And 1 to 1.2 lbs of hay per 100 lbs minimum. As for the Omelene you will want her to get the 300 as its a mare/foal feed. If you want to change her feed I would do it before she is ready to foal perhaps in her late gestation period.

I know how much it recomends on the bag, I just wanted to see what you all thought, we don't want to overfeed and have a big foal. Like I said she is due early March, so about 10 months bred, so she is in late gestation. She is about 400 lbs. Also according to the Purina website, Omelene 200 is for performance, breeding horses, yearlings, pregnant and lactating mares- http://horse.purinamills.com/products/omolene/ECMD2-0032696.aspx and 300 is for lactating mares, foals and weanlings- http://horse.purinamills.com/products/omolene/ECMD2-0032697.aspx

Back