new to minis, need info and opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPR

Reaction score
I just sold me foxtrotter this morning. I didn't get as much for her as she is worth, but the buy offered to give me a 2 yr. old registered mini mare as part of the deal. I haven't yet gone to see the mini yet.

I really wanted an older mini that was already trained some. I was thinking about getting one small one and one larger one for driving. This mare is around 32 1/2" so far. When I go see her, how would I know if she would be suitable for driving? Do they need a certain type temperment? Would she need to be very calm or more energetic? She really hasn't had any training yet. She's been lead a little but not much.

I know of a very small one ( 27 1/2" 6 yr. old) for sale that is very calm. I thought this one sounds like it would be good for me. I tend to get overwhelmed if horses are too unrully.

So, do you folks think I shouldn't get a young one? Or are minis pretty easy to work with?

Hm, I would be averse to just jumping on the first horse you "can" get and settling for something which may turn out to be unsuitable.

Overall horse conformation still holds true and your main concern with soundness and suitability for driving will be these, in order, in my opinion, of importance: temperament (needs to be reasonably even tempered and intelligent, this will take some time to ascertain, but worth the investment. If this is not in place, there is no point in passing go, so to speak), legs (to me this includes the hip region, a BIG factor in driving, and the coupling of the hip or loin area) and correctness, decent bone structure/substance, tooth structure (i.e. a good and correct, reasonably even bite, though some things can be corrected and managed w/good dentistry, some things put a horse out for driving due to poor mouth conformation), and a nice length of neck with a reasonably clean throatlatch.

If you are unsure of how this relates to your potential driving horse, whether you plan to drive for pleasure or show, bring along someone qualified and get some second and third opinions. No horse is perfect, but there is no sense in spending the time and effort and frustration to break a horse to drive that will not hold up to much use.

A three year old with good ground manners in place will be far more serviceable provided he or she is sound to begin with, than a tiny young horse. Try to stick w/the 32" range for height for a driver, as well, just my opinion.

First of all make a list of your priorities as far as what type of driving you want to do (Competitive, pleasure, etc.) and see where it takes you.

Minis ARE easy to work with, but they are also horses and so any decent driving and/or horse trainer should be able to help you with conformational issues relating to your purpose if you don't feel comfortable making a decision. Just because a horse is there and affordable doesn't mean it is the best choice. You will be investing a lot into the horse and if you start with the right animal, you'll be lots happier, as will the horse.

Just a few guidelines and I'm not trying to sound harsh. Might be a good idea to join some local clubs, perhaps see if you could take some lessons and/or lease a nice, seasoned gelding or mare (avoid a stallion where possible as they are too easily distracted another dimension you don't need to address).

Hope this helps some...

Welcome, btw!
default_smile.png
This is a great place to get opinions and ideas!

Liz M.

Thanks Liz. This is all VERY helpful info. I think I'll pass on this mini even though she is "free". I really think it would be better to find one that is older and already drives.

You can always keep the one thats free, as a pasture mate or pet, because they really do make good pets!!

Welcome I Hope You Enjoy!!!

Jennie

I HIGHLY recommend that you cut, paste, and PRINT the post by Nootka (Liz) to read closely. In my opinion it was GREAT advice.

You want a WILLING personality as a driving horse. You want a mouth that won't be problem with a bit. And you want the conformation in the hip and the shoulder that can support a cart. If you end up showing, it's also nice to have the conformation in the hip and shoulder that will give you some great forward movement, but that is up to you.

Let us know how your search ends up....

MA

Ok. I've got the info saved in a file. We're really not ready to get minis right now. We have no fencing up etc. This opportunity just suddenly fell in my lap and I didn't know what to do. But we'll pass on this and take our time.

Latest posts

Back