New Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern Belle Farm

Reaction score
So we just got our new guy home today and I'm looking closer at his paperwork. He has a DNA genetic marker report but I don't think it was done through the registry, his AMHA papers do not say DNA'd. His sire is parent qualified but his dam is not DNA'd. So obviously if it wasn't done throught AMHA, I would have to redo it. But I'm just wondering if that was going to cause problems registering future foals. He's 5 now and nobody sent in for his permanent papers for AMHR, how long is too long to do that? I know it's gonna cost me more, but is there a certain time lenght when they get revoked? And do they need to be DNA'd for AMHR too, I was kind of under the impression no. Thanks

Well he could be DNA'd without dam being....just couldn't be PQ. Plus, AMHA will generally add the DNA note once the papers get back to them from owner or when transferred to new owner. Depending on age it is required before registering a foal. Call AMHA and they can tell you as the DNA results come back to them, if done thru them, you only get a copy. I don't think there is any limit on bringing them current, so far as time. It does cost a little more.

Certain someone will correct this if wrong.

I bought a stallion last month, and the person I bought him from wasn't sure if he was DNA'd or not. So I figured I'd get it done. When AMHA sent my receipt (I was paying via credit card) they didn't charge me for the DNA or send me the test, they said he is already DNA'd. I got his papers back in my name, and it doesn't say that he is DNA's on them, so I guess they don't always put it on the papers?

Jessi

If his papers weren't in the AMHA office when he was DNA'd, then they wouldn't show that he has been. More than likely, the DNA marker report you have was done through AMHA. You can call or email AMHA to find out. And when you send in his papers for transfer, you can request adding that he's been DNA tested to them. AMHR doesn't require DNA.

I have horses here that are DNA'd but not noted on their papers.

Latest posts

Back