"New" Platform Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv-My-Minis

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering how everyone likes the "New" Platform feed. Has anyone tried it? Pros - Cons?

I am new here. This is such a wonderful site!! Everyone is so helpful!! I currently have 12 minis and 2 mini donkeys. We do a little breeding as well as showing. I will be showing a yearling mare, 2yr old mare, 3yr old mare each in halter classes as well as a 8yr old mare in halter and performance classes. The 3 younger ones could stand to gain some weight but my older mare is on the heavy side. Once I start driving her again, she will get better. Currently feed sweet feed. Thought of trying the platform. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Linda
default_smile.png

:saludando: Hey! Well, even though I am no expert at conditioning them for show, or weight gain, as I am still learning, and every horse is different. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Platform mini feed! My girls are doing so well off of it! I would say they are doing at least 10 times better then off of the regular sweetfeed, I give it a ++++++ rating! LOL, Just my two cents worth in, what do ya'll others think?

My lil 8 month old stallion was super thin when he got weaned. I think he had lost more than 10% of his normal weight. I want to 25% is about right but I'm not sure. Since I have but him on that he's doping wonderful. He's now at 165 pounds...I had always used the sweet feed for the past 5 years with my mare. But it was making her super hot...When I got my foal I cut Millie back on the grain, since I had to switch to a 16% protein. Big mistake on my part...Even the nutritionist I contacted said what I was doing was good and she would be fine. Well she's still too hott to drive and I have to hand walk right now 4 times a day to keep her on normal level playing field. I have begun finally mixing her feed with Platform though and I already can see the difference. She's supple and level headed when we are working on things. I can't to feed her Platform and thats it. I give it a rating of A+++++++!!!! Great stuff and I don't think I'm going to go back to other stuff.....

Kourtney

First off Welcome ! You will get great advice here from tons of knowledgable people ! There have been other topics started about the Platform feed if you do a search you will find loads of opinions about it both good and bad. Sorry but I don't know how to get you to the posting by typing it here. OH and in my opinion about the feed , not going to use it. Can't say much more , sorry. :no:

Welcome to the forum!!! My horses have been on the Platform feed for 3 months now. They are all doing great and their weights are good. I had fed sweet feed prior to the switch and would add soaked beet pulp and sunflower seeds to it. When my vet came out this spring to check a mare who had just foaled, she couldn't believe that she had just had a baby. She said she was too "healthy"!! In other words, too fat!!! Everyone is doing well on the Platform and I'm glad to have it!!

I have been using it for the last 3 months and I am very happy with how our horses look. Use to use sweet feed . Showed the information and label to our Equine vet and she was impressed with the product.
default_yes.gif
:

Welcome to the Forum!!

I love it -- my horses have been on it for a year because I was one of the test farms, and I'll stay on it forever. You can check out my post that's on the other similar topic - I think it's now on page 5. And if you have any questions at all about the product would be happy to answer them...how I decided how much to feed, etc.

The key as stated in my other post is to weigh your feed.... no matter WHAT product you are feeding. Appearance is so deceptive!! Especially with pelleted feeds. And GOOD hay.

I'm now feeding platform to all my adult (meaning 3+yrs) horses. I would never use this grain for weanlings/yearling, nope. My younger horses get Buckeye Grow N Win.

I like it, i think it is fine for adult horses ..it just doesnt have what i want in it for the youngsters ..JMO. I may put my show horses back on Buckeye if platform doesnt put that 'show glow' on them that buckeye does. Right now i like it, its keeping them at a steady weight. Will i keep them on it??? Well right now it looks like i will but when show season rolls around only time will tell.

I am not a fan of sweetfeed however, i love my complete grains put i've given platform a chance and so far so good. Have not seen any huge changes. I am a huge fan of Buckeye and it was so hard for me to let it go but i really had to try this stuff out.

Latest posts

Back