New Owner in Orange County, CA (pics and video)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dez275

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently bought this tiny guy for my daughter and I joined this forum to learn as much as I can about minis. This is my first horse and I don't know anything! I have a grooming kit, some tack on the way, and a small paddock for him. He's 11 years old and comes from a breeder in AR. We enjoy taking him on walks to the park and my goal is to eventually have him act as a therapy horse for terminally ill patients (my wife works for a hospice company). I'm currently looking for a better way to transport him and I would also like to find a cart with a harness.

Are there any local members in the Orange County area? It would be great to have some recommendations on vets and horseshoer.

Thanks and looking forward to chatting with everyone here.

At the local park-

Screenshot_20201124-151928.jpg
IMG_20201129_162036.jpg

IMG-20201203-WA0003.jpg

Welcome! It looks like you got a great first horse, wow is he a good boy and super cute!! You might want to trim his tail, when they get to the ground they will stand on them and pull the hair out. You've come to the right place, ask anything, nothing is stupid.

Welcome! It looks like you got a great first horse, wow is he a good boy and super cute!! You might want to trim his tail, when they get to the ground they will stand on them and pull the hair out. You've come to the right place, ask anything, nothing is stupid.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will do that today.

Hello everyone! I recently bought this tiny guy for my daughter and I joined this forum to learn as much as I can about minis. This is my first horse and I don't know anything! I have a grooming kit, some tack on the way, and a small paddock for him. He's 11 years old and comes from a breeder in AR. We enjoy taking him on walks to the park and my goal is to eventually have him act as a therapy horse for terminally ill patients (my wife works for a hospice company). I'm currently looking for a better way to transport him and I would also like to find a cart with a harness.

Are there any local members in the Orange County area? It would be great to have some recommendations on vets and horseshoer.

At the local park-

View attachment 42690
View attachment 42691

View attachment 42692

Welcome! What a cutie! Both of them actually.

I'm in Northern Ca so can't help with referrals but look forward to hearing how your getting on.

Since it is your first horse it might help to find a trainer for some sessions in basic horsemanship. Then they could also make recommendations for a local vet and farrier.

At the local park-

View attachment 42690
View attachment 42691

View attachment 42692

Welcome! I'm originally from Orange County (La Palma ), I live in Maryland now, but I used to keep a horse at the Lakewood Equestrian Center. They had a good trainer and lots of kind, helpful folks. Not sure if they're still there.

I believe theres an Equestrian center in Costa Mesa as well, but don't know anything about it. Good luck with your sweet little Sébastian.

At the local park-

View attachment 42690
View attachment 42691

View attachment 42692

Oh he is so calm and darling with your little one!

Welcome from Central Oregon. Your little guy reminds of a special gelding we had for OUR daughter..... Very similar markings and also a buckskin.
My suggestion would be to scout out other miniature horse owners both through your local feed stores and through the AMHR sanctioned club closest to you. AMHR would have a list of clubs on their website, I think. Your plan for Sebastian sounds wonderful, BTW.

Welcome from Central Oregon. Your little guy reminds of a special gelding we had for OUR daughter..... Very similar markings and also a buckskin.
My suggestion would be to scout out other miniature horse owners both through your local feed stores and through the AMHR sanctioned club closest to you. AMHR would have a list of clubs on their website, I think. Your plan for Sebastian sounds wonderful, BTW.
Thanks! No luck on a local AMHR club but I'm looking for a mini hauler so I can take him to some trails and stop by some stables in palos verdes to ask around about training.

Welcome! What a cutie! Both of them actually.

I'm in Northern Ca so can't help with referrals but look forward to hearing how your getting on.

Since it is your first horse it might help to find a trainer for some sessions in basic horsemanship. Then they could also make recommendations for a local vet and farrier.
Thanks, I hoping to take him to some trainers soon. I'll be sure to provide an update with some pictures.

Thanks! No luck on a local AMHR club but I'm looking for a mini hauler so I can take him to some trails and stop by some stables in palos verdes to ask around about training.
I learned this the hard way many years ago so I'm just putting it out there. Anyone I'm thinking about taking lessons/clinics with and especially letting work with my horse (ie. ride or work if I'm not there or even if I am) I watch WITHOUT my horse first. There are wonderful people out there who know a lot and are great teachers/trainers, there are also a lot that will be very bad for you and your horse (abusive methods). It's much better to find that out before you show up with him. I would find someone who will teach you with their horse first and if everything goes well then get them to work with both of you.

Latest posts

Back