need to vent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
I have been a mini equine farrier since 2004 for our county and have done up to 150-200 minis and other small livestock each yr. This is my side job and I love doing it and seeing/meeting new mini owners and their pets. Everyone around here knows this is what I do and all know me to be the only one that dose this as Im pretty much the only person who likes doing the minis. This is my passion and I noticed that folks dont like big horse farriers or the costs or just that most big horse farriers dont like doing the minis. I trim everything from bunnys, chickens, goats, mini horses, mini donkeys, alpacas, sheep, and small ponys 40" under.

All the big horse farriers knows I trim the minis and send folks my way and as I would send big horse their way. Even had a verbal aggreement with a few of them as to keep the peace and help each other out with potential new clients.

All was going great untill...
closedeyes.gif

Just reciently I noticed that one of them decided to try and steal my job on another public site and local bussiness. He has done the big horses and drafts for a long time and that's really cool cause it gave me someone to send folks to that had big equine and always advoided the minis. WELL not now!!! I saw his adds now offering mini horse trims at a lesser price then I offer ( I only charge $15, and I think thats a way fair price) and also posts pics of his work. I was shocked as 1st of all, his trim work is great for big horses but all wrong for minis and trimming them like big horses with taking way to much toe and leaving all heal making minis look really club footed. And its only hear say, but since I work a the local tractor/feed store, I have had a couple of folks come up and tell me how he has been belittleing me and my work. TOTALLY NOT KOOL!!! And posts his adds everywhere including my store as if he is rubbing it in my face. Of course everyone at work rips down his add before I see it and my clients I know are totally faithfull to me as they enjoy me trimming their pets and their pets love me. So not to much worry there, BUT to got spread rumors about my work and way I charge is low, even for a older man then me to act so childish! (Im 32 yrs old)

I always believed in the farriers code to not cross lines and step on toes and stay in your area or your profession and not be little each other or steal their customers. I never have, EVER! There's another gal in the next county over and totally respect her and NEVER post that way as thats her area, not mine. I just wish others would do the same as this really hurts my feelings.

What really blows my mind is this just reciently happed as I talked to him in my store a couple of months back and we where just chatting it up and he asked of bussiness was going and I said a little slow because of the ecomany as some owners sell, but new ones buy. He told me his died and was thinking of getting out of it. Then I hear and see all this. I know its a free world, but come on! Thats's just rude!!!

Thanks for letting me vent as this has been really bugging me and everyone I know just dont understand way it bugs me so much! But I bet you guys will...
default_wub.png

Also one of my biggest fears about this is because of how he trims, I will be the one that has to fix everything in the end IF the horse owner realizes that he's doing it all wrong and causes more damage then good for the horse, if they even call me. The price might be the befefactor here or unfortintly the lack of knowlege of the horse owner has about the structor and importance of the proper hoof trim.

3.jpg

floating_toe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT LOVING YOUR FARRIER. I'VE HAD BIG HORSE FARRIERS DO MY MINIS AND SCREWED THEM UP. A GOOD FARRIER IS A TRUE TREASURE,I WON'T TRADE MY GUY FOR ANYTHING. SENDING GOOD THOUGHTS.
default_aktion033.gif
default_saludando.gif

Don't stress, I'm a firm believer in people get what they pay for. If he is offering a lower price, but dosn't know what he is doing, people will come back to what is right. I had a guy come here once when hubby had surgery, he usually does our minis, this guy charged a really low fee, and did 10 minis, he said don't tell anyone else what I charge, cuase I'm doing this just for you. Well he didn't par out, trim frogs, just nipped and rasped. The low price wasn't worth it. Your good customers won't leave you and if they try this guy once, they will come back.

UGh im so glad hubbys my farrier! Im thinking about going to school for it myself

Big horses and little horses should be trimmed the SAME- depends on the horses' conformation and angle of their pasterns and how they travel, etc.... NONE of them should be club footed, so if he is making the big ones that way- as someone said- he does not know what he is doing. Perhaps he has lost a few customers due to this, so is trying to obtain business elsewhere? A horses foot should always be in balance- front to back and side to side.

I would educate your customers so THEY know the difference in a good farrier or bad, so in case they decide to save a couple of bucks and try this guy out, they will see for themselves that a job is either a good one or bad one.

I have found over the years that many people call themselves farriers, however many had no education about it and just decided to go into business.... omg, I have seen some horrible jobs by people over the years.

I have to say that I have never known farriers to have an "area" that they call their own. It doesn't work that way around here. Sure, a farrier that lives in this neighborhood may have many customers in this immediate area, but that doesn't mean that he won't travel elsewhere to trim/shoe, and it doesn't mean that other farriers won't come to this neighborhood to trim/shoe horses. We have two farriers that live within 5 miles of me and they both do horses in this area, and both do horses in other areas. There's another farrier 30 miles from here that comes & trims horses here...one from 50 miles west that comes here...one from Winnipeg (100 miles from here) that will travel anywhere out this way, one that comes from 50 miles southeast of us and trims horses in this area...and I trim some Minis for people that haven't been able to get on a regular schedule with any of the others--at least some of those farriers trim Minis as well as big horses.

I can't agree with the thinking that a big horse farrier cannot trim a Mini properly. I actually don't see Minis as being trimmed "differently" from the big horses, because each trim, Mini or full size horse, depends very much on the individual horse. I've trimmed big horses with flat feet, big horses with very upright, deep feet, big horses with well spread out feet...underslung heels...you name it, they all have little or major differences. Likewise I've trimmed Minis with upright feet/excess heel growth and I've trimmed Minis that have low heels and/or more open, spread out feet. I don't trim and horse "like a big horse" or "like a Mini"--I trim each horse as it needs to be trimmed to have a well balanced hoof. That's what any good farrier should do. I learned to trim on the big horses and had no problems "downsizing" my technique!

My farrier trims big horses & minis. He is the best in Ontario. He charges me $35 to trim a mini the same to trim my big horses. I tried another lady who charged $20 a trim & will never have her back. A horse is a horse no matter what size they are should be trimmed the same. Everyone has the right to choose the best farrier for their horses & if that means getting one in from another county then that is their choice. If you are good at what you do then you certainly have nothing to worry about. Your clients may try him, but they will be back after one trim with him. As I did the same to my farrier because of price & I did explain that to him. Not happy but understood.

After my regular farrier moved away I tried a new "bargain" farrier that did minis and at a very reasonable price. In a short time he made quite the mess of my boys feet turning normal feet into high heeled clubby looking feet and the balance was off from one foot to another. I spoke with him about my concerns and he tried to make an adjustment. He over corrected the other direction and my boys got VERY sore. They were too short and when they tried to grow out, the white lines opened up on my guys.

I was horrified and complained quite a bit on the forum about my boys feet and went farrier shopping...

Shopping for a new farrier is tough.. I asked around and finally found my current dream farrier. He charges $35 each for a barefoot trim. He got my boys back to normal and their feet look GORGEOUS. The way I figure it, you don't have to spread the word or worry about the other farrier. Bad trims have a way of speaking up for themselves and savy horse folks move on and find somebody else. Stay true, stay happy, and you will have loyalty and plenty of customers.
default_wub.png
Won't take much time if he is as bad as you say.

take care.

PS, my new guys does biggies, minis, foals... Not much difference in trimming... except in how low he stoops.
default_laugh.png

Big horses and little horses should be trimmed the SAME- depends on the horses' conformation and angle of their pasterns and how they travel, etc.... NONE of them should be club footed, so if he is making the big ones that way- as someone said- he does not know what he is doing. Perhaps he has lost a few customers due to this, so is trying to obtain business elsewhere? A horses foot should always be in balance- front to back and side to side.

I would educate your customers so THEY know the difference in a good farrier or bad, so in case they decide to save a couple of bucks and try this guy out, they will see for themselves that a job is either a good one or bad one.

I have found over the years that many people call themselves farriers, however many had no education about it and just decided to go into business.... omg, I have seen some horrible jobs by people over the years.
Exactly, on all counts.

I just wish I could find a farrier that will show up when they are supposed to. I am not able to trim mine anymore and it really bothers me when they get too long. The farrier that I have been using is good but he is really bad about re-scheduling or when he does make it, he is never on time.

I have checked with all the local vets and feed stores and none of the farriers that they know will trim minis.

Mary

I just wish I could find a farrier that will show up when they are supposed to. I am not able to trim mine anymore and it really bothers me when they get too long. The farrier that I have been using is good but he is really bad about re-scheduling or when he does make it, he is never on time.

I have checked with all the local vets and feed stores and none of the farriers that they know will trim minis.

Mary
I'm sure not all, but it does seem to be a farrier issue with timing and rescheduling. My options are limited around here, so its a good thing that my farrier is excellent at his chosen profession; as he sure isn't proficient at reading a clock or calling about delays.
default_rolleyes.gif
for example; I had a scheduled appointment last Thursday, half hour past our usual time I called, he has to reschedule as he's without a vehicle (he was sitting at the Dodge shop), he didn't call as he didn't have his appointment book with him and forgot who was up that day. We rescheduled for Saturday and he was on time and we got everyone done that was due, including two adjustments.

Mindy Lee: Playing Devil's Advocate here for a minute. It sounds a bit like he has moved in on your territory and you don't like it and are crying sour grapes. Understood, but he is allowed to trim wherever he wants to and any size horse he wants to. Its also wrong of your co-workers to be tearing down his ads like that. However, what I have a beef with would be that he's undermining you by his big mouth. That is not professional at all and not how to get and keep customers. I actually had a farrier that used to come here and name drop and tell on his clients and I was floored. Totally unprofessional. I don't play that game at all. I understand your vent, but what I would do is to not say a word to co-workers or anyone about him, stay as professional and closed mouthed as you can, hold your head high and just do the best job you can for your clients. When its all said and done, it will all come out in the wash. Best wishes to you.

I have a suggestion. Just like the barbershop ad, go make some ads and business cards with the bad hoof angle, good hoof angle drawing you have on your post and write on it something to the effect of "I fix $10 hoof trims (or whatever he charges)," or "I fix low cost trims". You get the idea. Marty is so right. Ignore his tactics, and if a customer wants you to fix his work then help the horse. What goes around, comes around.

I have a suggestion. Just like the barbershop ad, go make some ads and business cards with the bad hoof angle, good hoof angle drawing you have on your post and write on it something to the effect of "I fix $10 hoof trims (or whatever he charges)," or "I fix low cost trims". You get the idea. Marty is so right. Ignore his tactics, and if a customer wants you to fix his work then help the horse. What goes around, comes around.

I actually have that pic on my adds that I hang up everywhere and a example of a before and after pic of a trim I did. That way folks can see my work and how the outcome looks. I have a really neat add that I use and even have some really kool buissness cards that are double sided. One side about my farrier services with prices, and the other side about my farm. I even have a really neat truck magnetic that draws a lot of attention too.
default_smile.png

I take my farrier bussiness very serious as ya can tell. I dont mind that other farriers come in the county and trim minis cause there is a few which no big deal as thats the owners choice. Its just this guy who bugs me by doing what he did and pretty much slandering me. Thats what kinda is bugging me as well as him saying he hates doing minis and then now offering to trim them after he asked how many Im doing and staying somewhat busy with it. I just felt like he was "fishing" for details. I have folks come in my store all the time that I quickly learn that has a mini horses or donkys pretty fast and I always ask who they use. If they name someone, I leave it at that and say thats great you have someone, If they say no one and who do I recomend or use, only then thats when I mention that I offer services and ask if they would like a card. Marrty you are right, I do stay as professional about it as I can. And I too believe my customers will be faithful to me as they are not just $$$ clients to me but also have built up friendships with them.

I know of a person who travels almost 2 hrs to do all the local show horses around here and thats great! I personally like to stay away from my competators horses as some can be to picky. Altho at the shows, I have done lots of tuch ups for them.
default_smile.png
Which is always kool cause they do trust me to do that right before they show.

And as metioned above, being on time.... Well thats a big thing with me too. I hated it with my big horses that the farrier was always late or even pull a no show. So strongly act on being on time if not up to 15 minutes early. If by chance of a cancle, I always call and inform my client. Otherwise thats so rude not to.

Here's the example pics of the before and after I use of a donkeys foot. Its really nice that a customer will allow me to take pics to share with others. Also they like to see the end resaults too.
default_smile.png

before.jpg

after.jpg

Instead of giving another thought to this other guy, PLAY UP what you do right. You may consider it a given that you show up as scheduled and do the animals the other farriers dislike, but these are BENEFITS to your customers and need to be promoted.

Everyone who has ever owned a horse of any size has dealt with no-show or time-challenged farriers, so advertise that you are on time, every time. Perhaps you could put your money where your mouth is, as in "If I'm 30 minutes late, one horse trim is free." (Or something that would work for you, but show that you stand by your promise.) You may find yourself turning people away...

As everyone has said, don't stress. Stay professional and refuse to stoop to his level. The cream will rise to the top.

Latest posts

Back