New mini owner needs advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandma1946

Reaction score
We rescently bought owr first mini.Now we want to get a companion for him.The mini we bought is gelded and about two years old.Whats the youngest age mini you would put with him?Would you put a six year old mare with him?What would be a good companion for him?

Welcome to minis! I think it will depend on his attitude and size. If he is still a bit stallion oriented even though he is gelded, I would be careful about putting a small or young filly in with thim. If he is very calm and truly calm after his was gelded - I would still be careful about the age and size of the filly and introduce them gradually. Geldings can do well with mares, young colts and some fillies. They tend to play and if they are too big could accidentally hurt a horse that is much smaller. We have a small older mare in with our gelding and she bosses him around - but they are both over 5 years old. He did well in with the mares and their folas but the mares were there to protect the babies from hard play.

saludando.gif
Welcome from Northen Michigan and Happy New Year! Are you a grandma as in your user name? Me too only I'm a 1941 model
biggrin.gif

We have 2 soon to be 3 minis and love it and are fairly new to them also although have had horses all our life on and off.

Others can give you wise advice, I just wanted to say hi. Maxine

Hi Maxine I am a grandma.I bought Glen for my grandson now I want one of my own.They are addictive.Thanks everyone for yuor advice.I am going to look at some minis and this gives me some ideal of what age and gender I can consider.
saludando.gif

Welcome from NY
saludando.gif
I would say another gelding or a mature mare. Babies can be tricky, because they're so little. Being two he's a nice age, when was he gelded and how tall is he? This will help us help you. Welcome to the wonderful addictive world of minis and to our forum family. Happy to help with everything.

Welcome to mini world I now have 3 minis a shetland and another pony that I just bought for the grandchildren . It is always a good reason to buy another. Hopw you have as much fun with yours as i do mine.
biggrin.gif

Dimimore Glen was gelded in november.He is about 28 inches in height so he`s not a large mini.My ten year old grandson can handle him with no problems.He is going to be doing some shows with him this year.He is spunky but very sweet.I feel he needs a companion .He does not have a buddy to play with and you can tell he wants the company of another horse.He stands and watches the big horses in the nearby pastures.

I'd vote for another gelding or a mare past 5 or 6. Either way they will have to settle who's going to "run" the place. One will have to be the boss. My 18 yr old gelding (35") thinks he heads up this place and proceeds to let my 2 yr old stallion (29") know it. He's not mean to our new 7 mo. old filly but he doesn't want to run and play and lets her know he means ,"leave me alone!".

No, they aren't all pastured together but we did try out the various combinations to see what worked best. Come spring I'm afraid it will have to be one at a time in the pasture.

Welcome to the forum! You've already gotten "you can't just have one" bug lol.

I say if you can find a gelding, close to the same age, very sweet, would be a great companion. Sometimes older mares are very territorial and pick on the geldings. I got a couple here
rolleyes.gif

Welcome Welcome "Grandma"!
saludando.gif

Unless you want to pay extra dollars for a mature mare (and you are willing to put up with female mood swings!), I would vote for either another young gelding or perhaps a yearling/2yr old colt that you will geld yourself. Geldings in general make the best companions for both other horses AND people!

And there are a lot of colts/young geldings out there who are absolutely adorable but may not be either stallion or show quality and are reasonabley priced!

MA

I agree with MA, I think another gelding his age would be good. A buddy that he can romp and play with. The mares I know like to eat and not play. A young man needs to play!

yes.gif

Latest posts

Back