New mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songcatcher

Reaction score
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
I recently purchased a new mare and just got pictures of her to show. This is Bear Farms Deva Of The Isles (have you noticed I like the Bear Farms horses?). She has a rather unusual color. She is registered as Gray, but obviously is not. She is Brown with Sabino roaning and of course socks and a blaze. She also has a belly splash and a small spot on her back that I will show below. I have mane hairs pulled to send in for color testing, but wanted to see what you all think.

Her sire, Liliputs Calumet, http://www.fourwindsranch.ca/images/calumet.jpg is a Black Pinto with the possibility of carrying Cream (his grandsire was McRaes Mr GG, a double dilute).

Her dam is a Sorrel Pinto, sired by a Black Pinto and out of a Sorrel Pinto. I see no Silvers or Grays listed in her pedigree.

To me, she looks like a Smokey Silver Black with Sabino roaning. What do you think?

She is currently bred to a Buckskin son of Alvadars Double Destiny. If she tests negative for Frame, she is a future girlfriend for Image.

IMG1520_00_016.jpg

IMG1521_00_015.jpg

IMG1526_010.jpg

IMG1535_001.jpg

IMG1530_00_006.jpg

Smoky silver black is exactly what I thought when I looked at that picture. It will be interesting to see what the results of the tests are.

Freeland, so glad that Deva has a new home with you. Rootbeer Float? :bgrin I can't wait to see what results you get back. I've also called her a liver chestnut sabino.

Don't go out and see her with a Rootbeer float--she might decide to drink it. :new_shocked:

I'm no good for color suggestions, but just wanted to say :aktion033: SUPER CONGRATS, she's beautiful!
default_wub.png
:

Love her underside markings of her jaw/face.
default_wink.png
: Gosh, she's just beautiful all over!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

Freeland, so glad that Deva has a new home with you. Rootbeer Float? :bgrin I can't wait to see what results you get back. I've also called her a liver chestnut sabino.

Don't go out and see her with a Rootbeer float--she might decide to drink it. :new_shocked:
I have had no experience with Liver Chestnut. I am assuming that is red genetically, but just a very dark shade??? I have sent in hairs to test her for Frame, Tobiano, Cream, and Silver.

I am not sure about what color but it will be interesting to hear the results :lol: Beautiful mare
default_wub.png
: Love her
default_wub.png
: She has a gorgeous head
default_wub.png
:

Not Red based, Black base- maybe Silver, maybe not- could be if she has Cream.

Otherwise Smoky Black??

Sabino + Tobiano.
default_smile.png

I got the test results back today.

Tobiano - nn

LWO - nn (that's a relief because I want to breed her to my LWO stallion)

Cream - nCr (I was not particularly wanting Cream, but strongly suspected it)

Silver - nn

So, She is a Smokey Black. No Tobiano, no LWO, and no Silver. I guess it must be the Sabino lightening her mane and tail to some degree (along with sunbleaching). And, Sabino causing the belly splash???

Verrrrry interesting! Thank you for posting the DNA results! I love seeing illustrations of what EXACTLY a horse is!

Andrea

So you bought Deva! I really like that mare as she reminds of my mare, Redrock Corkers Sandy Lassie. They could almost pass for twins!

Latest posts

Back