New Here! With Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieGirl89

Reaction score
Ok so I'm new here if you didn't already guess that. I have 4 mini's and I love them to pieces! I came here because on the other forum I'm on I was crucified for posting that I'm working with 2 very skittish mini's that I just purchased. I was told I have no idea what I'm doing and it would be best if a professional trained them instead of me...I've been riding horses for 17 years, I've trained horses, I'm just a bit new to the mini world and I just needed some advice you know?
default_smile.png
Anywho! I hope you guys can help me and not verbally harass me if I need any help with these guys!

This is my mare Charm, she's double registered AMHA/AMHR greyed out (was bay) pinto 28" 2 year old.

IMAG0372_zps00117d84.jpg

Cooper, 7 year old...yeah he's not registered, he's my mom's "pet" haha

IMAG0116.jpg

Spirit, 13 year old buckskin mini, not sure if he's registered. Just bought him 2 weeks ago with the mini mare below, and I believe he's 27", he is incredibly small!

3K83J63Ne5Ea5H95Jbd296c790077563116fd_zpsec9c6df3.jpg

Rain, 10 year old sorrel pinto mare, not sure if registered. Bought her with ^^this guy! She's at least 34", she's a giant mini haha

unnamedd_zps6dad0133.jpg

I know Rain looks pregnant, I'm actually not sure if she is, I told my mom to watch her bags! Vet's coming out Tuesday so maybe I can have him check her out. These pics were taken in the summer, by me and previous owner of last 2 mini's, as of now they are fluffy and chunky!

Welcome.

They are all very cute, I'm partial to the buckskin.

Minis are still horses, treat them as such. Expect the same manners that you would with any size horse, if they aren't currently trained, well then you have a project ahead of you. With 17 years of riding background, I'm guessing you know how to handle horses on the ground, too; if so, you are ahead of many new mini owners who know nothing about horses.

A few major differences... Do not give minis Quest (moxidectin) dewormer, the way its absorbed isn't compatible with minis and it has too small of a safety margin. Be extremely careful using Bute, minis seem to suffer more side effects than full-size horses. know your minis weight, many vets tend to guess all minis weigh 500# or 200# and rarely inbetween. There is a chart and a formula in the Lil Beginnings info pages for calculating their weight: http://www.lilbeginnings.com/info/misc/ [Weight tapes aren't very accurate for minis.]

The biggest "problem" I had coming from full-size horses to minis, was feeding them. The portions for the minis seem so small compared to what I was used to feeding my full-size horses. The 1.5-2% of bodyweight rule is a good place to start for how much to feed, but of course they are all individuals so will have to be adjusted to each horse.

Thank you very much chandab! That little buckskin has stolen my heart, from the second I met him I had to have him. Lol Trust me, I know I have a project ahead of me. The 2 new mini's are very hard to catch, but they are coming along nicely. They have no manners, but as soon as the weather breaks here, they will soon figure out what manners are ;) Yes I did hear about the Quest and the Bute
default_smile.png
Thank you though! Hmm I was wondering about the feeding as well. They are at my parents so I actually don't feed, but I should probably let them know just in case they are over feeding them. I appreciate the help!

From the looks of the sizes you mentioned, a place to start for feeding them would probably be dividing up what you'd usually feed one full-size horse (well, a 1000# horse, anyway) among the four of them (perhaps a bit more since the last mare is taller than the rest).

They all look to be in decent shape, at least if these are recent pics, so if you have any idea what they were fed at their previous home, that would be a decent place to start with their feed program.

Yes these are pics from last August/September. They're a tad chunkier now, but as far as the feeding goes, I understand, I believe all 4 of them together are getting 1 bale a day, since they're all together in a pasture and no way of separating them.. yet. Unfortunately, the feed they were getting before I'm unsure of, but I do know the lady was overloading them on treats, including whole shell peanuts. I'm not comfortable feeding treats like that, especially whole shell peanuts! That doesn't even sound healthy.

Actually, peanuts in the shell are a safe low carb treat for horses; but like all treats, don't go overboard, a few each is probably more than enough.

Do you know how big those bales are that they are getting daily? It might be too much, unless you are having extremely cold weather. I think when I feed small squares I go through about a bale a day for 7 horses (larger minis, the minis in this group are mostly 35-38" tall), my bales are about 70-75# each; except in extreme cold, then they get more (probably 1.5 bales if its cold). [i'm currently feeding off a round bale, and the 6 mares sharing a feeder probably get what I would fork out to 2 saddle horses for this time of year and cold.]

Welcome to the forum and to minis! I can tell they've stolen your heart!

Please do ask any questions you want! We have an awesome page full of mini info here too.
default_smile.png

Thank you REO! Yes we've only had mini's for about a year now, but I always wanted to get into them. Now that I had the opportunity to I jumped on it! Trust me there will be plenty of questions, I looked through the forums and everybody is so nice and helpful!
default_biggrin.png

Hi welcome from Alaska

I love your baby's expecialy the pinto mare and the gray.

I feed my 36" girl one 50 to 60 lb bail a week

Others can tell you for sure but as cold as you are right now

You are probly ok it may be a little more than they need but it is cold

And they need more right now.

Any ways welcome to the madness of minis

And remember they may be small and cute but they are still horses

Lol

I have to remind my husband this all the time.

Hahaha I have to remind myself of that everytime I'm around them. Especially Cooper and Charm, they are so in your face and want kisses and lovin, I almost get too caught up in their adorableness to correct them if they get too into my personal space lol.

I know how that is , my girl loves her kisses

And if I let him my husband ("who hates horses") ;) would spoil her with the horse cookies

I had to hide them from him and instead let him give her alfalfa cube pieces . Other wise he gives her way to much.

She has stolen his heart , as well as my daughters and mine.

That's how my dad is with my horses, he has no idea what he's doing but he is totally in love with the minis. I mean seriously, how could you not love those faces. I taught Charm how to give little mini kisses. You know "gimme kisses" then she wiggles her little muzzle on my lips...ugh I admit it, I melt like butter in their little hooves.

Thank you REO
default_smile.png
And let me just point out I just went over it, and it says something about lunging your mini. The forum I mentioned earlier, was very angry with me because I said I had brought my 2 new minis out and lunged them maybe 5 minutes each, just to get some energy out of there system, mind you they were on a 10 foot lunge. They told me lunging a mini even that long was not good for their rear ends, and that I was in over my head with these guys because I clearly didn't know what I was doing. Ugh, I'm so glad I decided to come over to the mini madness forums!

Welcome from Michigan!

I love ur bay/grey and buckskin!

Im a huge fan of them 2 colors as thats pretty much all I own here!

Dont worry about what someone might have said to you about a trainner... a lot of trainners wont help anyway, just take your $$$, and thats it. Do it urself! I am currently with a spooky lil wild mustang stallion thats 35-36" tall. in just 2 weeks with working with him, I can tuch him now without him tearing the barn apart to get away! I was told good luck and cause he cant be handled... well as of yesterday, I caught him, pet him, wormed him, and kissed his nose. Still have a LOOOONG way to go, but pretty impressed to do this much after only 2 weeks!

Good luck!!!

You can do it!

Great job mindylee

That is great progress, your boy is lucky to have you to love him.

He will get there with lots of work, love , and patients

That's so great mindylee! That's how that little buckskin is! I tried to take him out to worm him and he ended up rearing and striking out! Luckily his little legs couldn't reach me, but it shouldn't have happened. Two days ago I sat in a pasture with him (he is incredibly curious) and after an hour I was able to walk up to him without him bolting like a mad man, and was able to rub on him and yes even a little kiss on the nose. He's a bit headshy, but he's making a ton of progress. Thanks for the support you guys, I really appreciate it. I won't be posting anymore about my mini's on the other forum!

Latest posts

Back