New Hampshire Check in

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Fortune

Reaction score
For everyone in New Hampshire, how are you holding up? The river behind my house is at least 5 feet higher then normal. Im lucky I live so high up, I dont have to worry about flooding.

For anyone that isnt in New Hampshire, we are having a horrible storm. Its been raining off & on since monday. The storm is spinning slowly but isnt moving away at all. It keeps going over the ocean & is picking up water then bringing it back. A couple of dams have broke, roads have flooded & a couple have even washed away. Some areas are being evacuated. For more information heres a link: http://www.wmur.com/news/index.html

I hope every one is alright.

We are okay but other parts in my town are flooded. Thankfully we are sort of on a hill, so there are only a few large puddles and a very squishy lawn. I have no school tomorrow.

I hope everyone else is okay!

Just heard from my father inlaw who lives in Medford, MA.......about 6 miles inland from Boston. They're flooding there too. His basement is flooded, but fortunately that's all.

He said there's some smaller communities around him that are much worse off and have closed their roads.

MA

Went out for a drive today to check out the flooding.

We are the town North of Windham and South of Manchester. The golf course is so flooded that people are kayaking ON it. Not in the little brooks, ON the grounds! There are many roads closed with over 10 inches of water flowing over it. Sadly this is where our town dump is. Pretty gross knowing there is such a flood where we put our waste.

My horses are mad at me. They have been indoors since Wednesday.

I hope everyone is okay!!

The sun is peeking out right now. But its raining off & on all day still. Ive joked around with my friends, that if I have to go get anything Ill use my Kayak. Ive been feeding my horses in the shed. They could go out if they want to but they would rather stay dry, I guess.

They are evacuating downtown Bristol,they think the darn is going to fail if so there will be 10 feet of water downtown,which means it will probably(they say) take out the 125 year old bridge on my road.

problem is most people don't know they are in danger!

Channel 9 which is the main television in the state, just using a scrawl on the bottom of the screen and there are so many roads out in the state and the writing is so small you can't really make anything out of it.

I went in to town to get gas and the owner said, "what are you thinking, you need to get to high ground and I thought he was kidding! Turns out they are serious but are just not getting the word out to the people.

And so many people are at work and don't know about it,I saw kids all over town whose parents must be working and the kids are home alone,and are just having fun hanging out downtown, it probably will work out okay but makes me nervous.

My horses have been in the barn since Thursday and they are not happy, but its way to cold to let them out, the rain is just like ice water when it hits your body, letting horses out in this weather is just asking for them to get sick and is downright cruel to me. But as far as I know everyone around me has theirs in the barn !!!!!!!!!!hope I hope!

It is really bad up here right now, come on sun!

We are building an Arc, but other than that, we are good. I will post pictures of the creek later. It is really running fast!!

OK, here they are.

These were taken yesterday and so I think it is faster today. Normally there is only about 3 inches of water in it and large sections are totally dry. The creek goes under it.

The "dry" part

thecreek06005.jpg

The "Shallow" part

thecreek06015.jpg

thecreek06011.jpg

thecreek06002.jpg

And Rocky and Slick are above water.

1stuff22018.jpg

1stuff22013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
School is cancelled tomorrow now.

Beautiful pictures, Shell. I love that trailer!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are evacuating downtown Bristol,they think the dam is going to fail if so there will be 10 feet of water downtown,which means it will probably(they say) take out the 125 year old bridge on my road.

problem is most people don't know they are in danger!

Channel 9 which is the main television in the state, just using a scrawl on the bottom of the screen and there are so many roads out in the state and the writing is so small you can't really make anything out of it.

I went in to town to get gas and the owner said, "what are you thinking, you need to get to high ground and I thought he was kidding! Turns out they are serious but are just not getting the word out to the people.

And so many people are at work and don't know about it,I saw kids all over town whose parents must be working and the kids are home alone,and are just having fun hanging out downtown, it probably will work out okay but makes me nervous.

My horses have been in the barn since Thursday and they are not happy, but its way to cold to let them out, the rain is just like ice water when it hits your body, letting horses out in this weather is just asking for them to get sick and is downright cruel to me. But as far as I know everyone around me has theirs in the barn !!!!!!!!!!hope I hope!

It is really bad up here right now, come on sun!

We are high and dry but some of my friends and clients are not so lucky. A good friend of mine has a boarding barn with an indoor in Haverhill and they have been evacuated as the indoor is under water and the Merrimack hasn't crested yet. Kim works at this barn and it has really been hit hard. I had to go to Essex this morning and had to go all the way down I95 to 128 to Essex as downtown Ipswich is underwater. A lot of places I go to houses and barns have been evacuated. I also heard one of the metal bridges has washed away on the Merrimack. The client I did go to this morning is lucky so far but the bridge on her road looks like the underpinnings are washing out. Linda B

We are high and dry but some of my friends and clients are not so lucky. A good friend of mine has a boarding barn with an indoor in Haverhill and they have been evacuated as the indoor is under water and the Merrimack hasn't crested yet. Kim works at this barn and it has really been hit hard. I had to go to Essex this morning and had to go all the way down I95 to 128 to Essex as downtown Ipswich is underwater. A lot of places I go to houses and barns have been evacuated. I also heard one of the metal bridges has washed away on the Merrimack. The client I did go to this morning is lucky so far but the bridge on her road looks like the underpinnings are washing out. Linda B
Hi Linda,

Glad your okay!! Don't tell me Kim is old enough to work!! Oh my God no way! Darn kids keep making me get older! Well they are lucky to have her hope they realize that..

I wonder if the steel bridge is the one up by me,gosh I hope not.

I feel so fortunate after seeing all the damage on television with people losing homes ,cars and businesses.

School is canceled up here for tomorrow as well.

When ever the river is raging up here I worry about kids, they have a fascination with water and 2 have drowned the last couple of years.

Anyway so far not one death in the state so keep fingers crossed everyone.
default_yes.gif
:

So Linda my friend be careful traveling okay?
default_wub.png
:

Bon

That's terrible!! We don't have a real barn or indoor, but our stalls are very wet. The horses would rather be in them than out in the rain though.

thecreek06019.jpg

Glad to hear most everyone is ok so far. We have been just on the North edge of the heavy rain. About 7 inches since last Tues. Most since Friday morning. Lots of roads and bridges out just south of us.

Has anyone heard from Fiona down in York, ME. They have been hit pretty hard in that area and tv ran a couple more roads tonight on the screen that were closed not far from them. Hope all is well for the whole bunch in York County. \

We are thinking of getting surf boards for the horses so they can get out doors for a change!

Mark

I just took some pictures this afternoon. Its amazing how much rain weve gotten. I live on the Suncook River & its risen at least 10 feet. I am so glad it has another 20 before it reaches us. Heres one picture:
100_1734.jpg
That piece of wood thats further out, is usually on the ground. Its also usually a foot or so from the shore & rests on the dock you see floating behind it.... Good thing we tied it off. Also if you look at the other side of the river you can see that the whole forest is flooded the water over there would be over my head. For the short amount of time that it wasnt raining today my gelding took advantage of it & let out some of his energy.

I hope everyone stays warm & dry.

Lorna

My thoughts are with everyone that is dealing this flood. I know my old town of Manchester NH is getting hit really hard..the pictures are impressive!

I still have not been able to get in touch with some of my family. Just hoping they are ok!

Latest posts

Back