New Garden Mulch TOXIC to DOGS AND CATS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Miniv

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2002
Messages
12,747
Reaction score
681
Just read this on another Chat Forum and thought it should be passed on........

Subject: Please tell every dog or cat owner you know.

Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do.

> >

Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog loving friends and family.

> > Please tell every dog or cat owner you know.

> > Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes

> > purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden.

> > They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep

> > cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso decided that

> > the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large

> > helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she

> > eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way.

> > The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her

> > morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure

> > and died instantly.

> >

> > Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon

> > further investigation on the company's website, this product

> > is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

> >

> > Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that

> > 'It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that

> > eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of

> > degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of

> > all dogs won't eat it.'

> >

> > This Snopes site gives the following information:

> > http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

> >

> > Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden

> > Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal

> > ingredient called 'Theobromine'. It is lethal to dogs and

> > cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs.

> > They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already

> > occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check

> > what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your

> > gardeners are using in your gardens.

> >

> > Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's

> > chocolate which is toxic to dogs.

> > Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of

> > theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to

> > caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal

> > quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed

> > severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the

> > stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed

> > the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

> > PLEASE GIVE THIS THE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION!!!
 

Charley

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
2,048
Reaction score
271
Thank you for posting this. We do need to be aware. That poor dog and his family....such a needless waste to make lethal mulch. It amazes me what companies come up with to make money. kinda....I know its a problem, but....
 
Top