Please keep friends and their stallion in your prayers!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyB

overo
Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]My friends here in Washington state have had trouble with their minis since 2005 when they were exposed to BOXWOOD. Of the ones who were effected, they lost 2 right away and 2 others have been ill off [/SIZE]

and on since. Here is a quote from them:

Some of you know, and some don't that Booty is quite ill.. It has been five days with no stool, not eating.. etc. We trocarised him last night which brought some relief.. He seems to have some stool, but not enough

moving down.. Our vets have been wonderful, but we are discussing euthansia. This is due to the scarring in his intestines, as well as the current cold...He shuts down, and refuses to eat or drink. Our ponies were

intentionally fed this, and we lost two at the time.. One mare, and Booty have intestinal scarring from this, and chronic diarrhea/constipation issues. I will be putting together info on boxwood, but would like to point

out..Many many showgrounds and fairgrounds use this plant.. I would like to think our losses will be easier, if

we get info out to other horse owners.

Shyrle and Greg

www.candyapplefarm.com

=====================

Please PRAY for their champion and very talented young stallion, CAF Mercury Blues to survive this lastest illness! Here are some pictures of them and his 2006 filly, CAF Ain't She Sweet!

CAFmercuryblues.jpg

Bootyjumping.jpg

Bootydrivingtandem.jpg

CoffeeBooty.jpg

sweety.jpg

======================

And please Pass the word along..

BOXWOOD, and HORSES, are a DEADLY, DEADLY combination. Many fairs and showgrounds use this plant, in their landscaping.. a quick snatch or bite by mini or pony as you walk by.. is enough to KILL them.

Anyone who is not familar with this plant, feel free to email

Shyrle

[email protected]

and myself

[email protected]

THEIRS WERE intentionally exposed.. but as common as the plant is.. most do not realize it is deadly to horses.. Generally you do not get time to treat them! It mimics a severe colic.. with large amounts ingested,

neurologic symptoms are quickly followed by respiratory failure.

====================

BOXWOOD:

or

Buxus

boxwoodleaves1.jpg

boxwoodbushes.jpg

Dangerous

Boxwood- Causes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, convulsions and respiratory distress. Contact with the sap from this plant can cause skin irritation.

GENUS: Buxus

Buxus sempervirens L. –Common boxwood, box

FAMILY: Buxaceae—the Box Family

This family contains two genera of plants used for ornamental purposes, Buxus and Pachysandra. The former is an evergreen shrub widely used in horticulture, while the latter is an evergreen ground cover, equally common in use. Characteristics for the family are: flowers: unisexual, regular, inconspicuous; sepals: 4, basally fused; stamens: 4, opposite the calyx lobes; pistil: 1; ovary: superior.

PHENOLOGY: Boxwood flowers in spring.

DISTRIBUTION: Cultivated as a hedge, foundation, specimen, or edging (dwarf) plant.

PLANT CHARACTERISTICS: Leaves: elliptic to lanceolate-oblong, broadest below the middle, dark green and lustrous above; flowers: in axillary clusters, with a terminal female flower and several male flowers below in the axils of bracteoles; petals: absent; female flowers: with a 3celled ovary; fruit: a capsule with 3, two-horned valves.

POISONOUS PARTS: The leaves and stems are poisonous. Toxicity to horses is estimated to be 0.15% (green-weight basis) of body weight, which for an average animal is equivalent to 1.5 lbs. of leaves.

SYMPTOMS: Severe gastroenteritis, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, stomach pains, convulsion, and death through respiratory failure may result from ingestion of boxwood.

POISONOUS PRINCIPLES: The akaloid buxene (buxine) has been implicated in poisonings. Other active principles are probably involved, including a volatile oil.

CONFUSED TAXA: No other cultivated plants have simple, opposite, oval, leathery leaves. Some varieties of holly (Ilex) or cotoneaster (Cotoneaster) may be confused with box, but these have alternate, not opposite, leaves.

SPECIES OF ANIMALS AFFECTED: Horses, sheep, pigs, and cattle have been poisoned.

==================

If anyone is interested in helping me to inform the public by contacting YOUR local gardening stores to get "in place" large POISON tags on Boxwood and ALL plants poisonous to children, horses and other

animals please contact me. We MUST do something NOW before others suffer.

Thanks for listening and for your PRAYERS!

HUGS, LOVE
default_wub.png
: and PRAYERS Shyrle and Greg!
default_pray.gif
:

Jenny
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Jenny please tell your friend Shyrle, first of all I am praying for her horse... secondly, her statement "[SIZE=12pt]I would like to think our losses will be easier, if we get info out to other horse owners." really means a lot to me, we have a couple of stories we tell all the time, makes us very sad to do so but we also feel that way, if telling our story keeps someone else from having the same issues cause death to their horses, then ours were not lost in vain! i am so sorry someone fed this to their horses deliberately...whether it was deliberate cruelty or just stupidity, that is such a shame...[/SIZE]

Hey Sis!
default_wub.png
: Prayers lifted!

Sending prayers and fervent healing wishes to Booty, Shyrle and Greg. That is a terrible tragedy if she loses Booty on top of the others. Shyrle is a very good and kind person and doesn't deserve the heartache she has had heaped on her by the person who did this terrible crime to her animals. :no:

Hoping for a good outcome,

oh this is awful im sorry to hear the poor horse is so ill, prayers coming your way!!!
default_sad.png

I'm sending my prayers their way!

Tammie~

I teach Horticulture and just a few tips on plant identification.

The easiest way to tell a plant is by the leaves.

The main thing to look at on these leaves are that the edge of the leaf is smooth, they have a vein down the center, the widest part of the leaf is just below the center, and the leaves are arranged on opposite sides of the stem.

I just can imagine how someone can do this intentionally. Some people are just sick...

This is a heartbreaking thing and I wish for the good outcome, I am thankful for reminder on Boxwood and will double check anywhere I have my horses.

Warmest thoughts & wishes to Booty and his human family.

Sending prayers for those poor horses and their owners.
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Thanks so much for the warning on boxwood, I had no idea....

Sending prayers for Booty and his human family! He looks like a very special horse. Thanks so much for the warning on Boxwood.....you're right, I've seen it a lot as landscaping. Never knew it was toxic.

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks so much for reading my post and for your Prayers
default_pray.gif
:[/SIZE]

It is not looking good this am for BOOTY....I just spoke with Greg and Shyrle is wanting for the vet to come and put BOOTY to SLEEP
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
: (3:45pm PST)

GOD BLESS BOOTY!

Please Continue your Prayers
default_pray.gif
: for Shyrle and Greg

Thank You,

Jenny
default_crybaby.gif
:

I kinda know Shyrle through a mutual friend and to hear this makes me very sad. I hope Booty pulls through. Very sorry !

Thank you for the warning !! I have a few boxwood up the driveway (NOT near the horses) and I am going to cut them down as soon as the weather warms up.

Just received this from Shyrle..........
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

CAF Mercury Blues.. 1998-2007

CAF Mercury Blues ASPC/AMHR/Foudation sire for the saddlebred pony

registry

Oh, Booty.. Not nearly long enough.. Our tough sweet stallion...

Our grand little boy, is done fighting.. Just could not win this one..

Thanks to everyone who prayed for him, and hoped he would pull

through..

He was humanely euthnanised due to an impaction. He had intestinal scarring which contributed to this. He was intentionally fed boxwood, and has been suffering from the aftereffects ever since.. We lost two at the time,, now him, and still have one mare of that group left, who also suffers after effects..

We will miss your silverly blue caot,and white socks flashing, your tail flagging,, the good mornings to us.. We are glad to have your daughter to console us..

To make our loss easier, we want to educate people about this plant..In a day or so.. the website will have a tribute to our boy, and info on boxwood.

Shyrle and Greg

www.candyapplefarm.com

Just received this from Shyrle..........
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

CAF Mercury Blues.. 1998-2007

CAF Mercury Blues ASPC/AMHR/Foudation sire for the saddlebred pony

registry

Oh, Booty.. Not nearly long enough.. Our tough sweet stallion...

Our grand little boy, is done fighting.. Just could not win this one..

Thanks to everyone who prayed for him, and hoped he would pull

through..

He was humanely euthnanised due to an impaction. He had intestinal scarring which contributed to this. He was intentionally fed boxwood, and has been suffering from the aftereffects ever since.. We lost two at the time,, now him, and still have one mare of that group left, who also suffers after effects..

We will miss your silverly blue caot,and white socks flashing, your tail flagging,, the good mornings to us.. We are glad to have your daughter to console us..

To make our loss easier, we want to educate people about this plant..In a day or so.. the website will have a tribute to our boy, and info on boxwood.

Shyrle and Greg

www.candyapplefarm.com

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

GOODBYE BOOTY!
default_crybaby.gif
:

Run Free Over The Rainbow Bridge

God Bless
default_pray.gif
:

God Bless Shyrle and Greg for your UNBELIEVABLE LOSS!
default_pray.gif
:

Your Friend and HUGS,

Jenny
default_wub.png
:

CAFmercuryblues.jpg

default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif