Please keep friends and their stallion in your prayers!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry it didn't end favorably for him and for his owners.

I have seen him at local shows and he was/is very beautiful.

I hope the people that did this have been punished in some way, though I doubt it was what it should have been....I will never understand something like that.

My sympathies.

Liz M.

As you all know...We did loose our lovely boy.. And are so very heartbroken. Hid first daughter was killed outright by the boxwood, and a lovely two year old colored appy son, of a national champion. Hits litte lones quite hard..

In her case about a mouthfull... So the weight/dose to kill minis ( the stallion was 37 inches, and her dam was 36 ) is quite low.

Even if they do survive, the intestinal damage will probably catch up with them.. The hardest part is by the time you can get a vet out, they miss the initia; neurological symptoms. And many sites list this plant

as an irrritant only.

Give us a day or so.. And we will have info on boxwood, as well as a tribute to our boy up on the site..

Many showgrounds are landscaped with this plant, and many unknowing horse owners have it accessible to animals as well.

Thank you Jenny,and all who wished us well...

Shyrle and Greg

www.candyapplefarm.com

Dear Shyrle and Greg,

My heart is going out to you both.........Larry told me last night about your e-mail message about Booty. What a beautiful beautiful animal. Loosing him and the others was such an unspeakable senseless tragedy!

I applaud you and respect you so much for using this awful experience to educate people. Unfortunately it comes at a terrible price. And how will be able to continue looking at those neighbors in the face again.

MA (Maryann)

Our deepest condolences in all your lost little loved ones.
default_sad.png
So very sorry. Letting your boy go, I know is always hard. I hope your hearts will heal in time. THANK YOU for sharing your sad losses with us, and THANK YOU especially for your kindness & caring in hopes to now warn of these dangers for others. {{{HUGS}}}

:no: I am sadden by you all lost. He was a very nice looking mini. I am thank you told us about boxwood, because I was not aware of it hurting horses. Please do let us know all about the boxwood and other things not good for horses

My god be with you during this time.

Rest in peace little fellow.

melissa

Our sympathy as well.

Did I understand it to have been intentional? Very sad that anyone could do such a thing. I must have misunderstood the post.

Shyrle and Greg,

I am so very sorry! Hugs and prayers for you as you deal with this terrible loss.

I am SO sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
It's just so sad....
default_sad.png

[SIZE=12pt]BUMP![/SIZE]

Please would you read about the Boxwood if you haven't and pass the info along to friends and neighbors.

Thank you and GOD Bless!

Jenny

default_pray.gif
:

Dear Shyrle and Greg,

We've never met, but I'm just heartbroken over your pain and loss.
default_bye-sad.gif
: Your boy was beautiful to look at and I'm sure just as beautiful on the inside. Just know that he, and the others, didn't die in vain because they are now the poster children bringing this issue to the forefront.

I had NO idea about boxwood - it's everywhere! It's very selfless of you guys to use your grief and pain to help others avoid this tragedy.

Whoever did this should be severly punished, but as others said, that probably isn't going to happen. What is wrong with some people in this world? :no: It's just sickening.

Last edited:
bumping... and thank you SO MUCH for sharing the info on boxwood... we had an issue with oleander here, it makes a great hedge and grows so well in our hot dry climate... there was a huge long hedge of it at our old house, fenced away from the horses and we were working on removing it... one of the kids forgot to chain the gate and our houdini horse opened it... another horse was munching leaves from the mulberry tree and got a bite of oleander in with it... the vet said he must have bit down, tasted it and spit it out, because if he had swallowed ANY of it he would be dead. (forgot to say this is a BIG horse, not a mini) - just the drop or two on his tongue was enough to almost kill him, he lost almost 200 pounds in less than a week, would not eat or drink, had IV fluids... VERY SCARY! thank God there seem to be no residuals, as this was over 8 years go... he is now 16 and still fine. there are many, many toxic plants out there... i have a file on my computer where i gather this info and will certainly add the boxwood info to it. if there is not a poisonous plants thread on the "best of" perhaps we should remedy that?

i am so very sorry that you lost yet another horse to this incident, what a tragedy for you. if i understand correctly it was fed deliberately... so i assume they knew it was poisonous? i will never understand how people can be so cruel... :no:

{{{hugs}}} to you, it is so hard to lose one for any reason, this makes it so much worse.

Greg and Shyrle, I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful boy. Prayers going out to you. Thank you so much for passing all the information on to all of us about the boxwood. Hoping and praying everyone with horses hears or reads about this, will be passing this on. Corinne

I don't have much time to be on the forum anymore, but as I get on sharing my own nightmare, I read about so many other sad things that mini horse owners are experiencing. I'm so very sorry to read about your stallion (and the others also) and the boxwood. I too had no idea it was so lethal. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you deal with this tragedy.

Rita

I'm assuming that even though they were fed deliberately, they surely did not know how deadly the plant could be. Surely!

Back